JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

How do you feel when peaple say 'Will has been played out since summertime'?

You might not hear it often!But i do off and on...

That they missed out on a lot of great music between "Code Red" and "Lost and Found', FP never fell off, the fans sold out on him and left the bandwagon, he didn't sell out on them, he still "All That" you could say....

Edited by bigted

Lol!

Lately, when I talk to folks about Will Smith, they seem to reply "I guess I liked Getten' Jiggy Wit It" and then I ask about Summertime and they reply with "Oh yea, I love that song". Seems like they forgot about Summertime (or that will did it) and have no idea he's done anything since Getten Jiggy. Of course, I don't exactly hang out with hard core hip-hop heads.

most of those people arent fans of Will so what can u expect. obviously Summertime was Will's best song ever and tons of people like it, but u cant expect all of those people to feel Will's stuff that's slightly weaker than that if its not their style. now if their commenting about "falling off" when they havent given any of it a listen at all than thats another story.

actually, some real big hip hop guys will appericate that I am listening to them, and quite a few people, who are more into rock as opposed to rap hate on him more. Some hip hop guys will hate on Will, but they tend to be the younger people. The guys in their mid 20s now give respect to him.

EDIT: I know some older hip hop guys who will not like his solo stuff that much, but they will give a lot of respect to JJFP.

Edited by sonic1988

I love what JJFP themselves say here on that "JJFP answer the critics" on this site's homepage, JJFP have always been about making positive and fun hip-hop music, they never sold out, the audience tastes' changed basically:

When their first hit single "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble" led to some cross-over success that laid the groundwork for the pop stardom that was to follow with their sophomore LP - He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper. But, after the money started to roll, and their videos started to receive heavy rotation, their original core fans started to yell, 'sell out!'

Jeff: When 'Parents Don't Understand' came out, everybody liked it. Once mainstream audiences started liking it, everybody else started looking at it like 'wow, you guys are doing something different'. Will and I had always been on that vibe, y'know, but yes it was hard, because some original fans felt alienated. But how can you be accused of alienating people when we were doing the same thing we were doing for our original fans."

Oh yes, hip hop audiences can be fickle, and none were more so than the late 80's, early 90's fans who were starting to discover the highly politicized hip hop of groups like Public Enemy and X-Clan, and/or the experimental sounds of the Native Tongue Family. Backlash was bound to happen. Jeff also realizes that the record company's re-imaging that emphasized the duo's light side caused some long-term credibility problems.

Will: The way I maintain, keep it positive man, keep it fun, the original essence of hip-hop was partying and having fun, and im keeping it real for real

I can see why he doesn't 3Cookies! He makes a big check!

Edited by markwinfield1