JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jay-Z Messes Up Again

bigted

http://blogs.sohh.com/ya_heard/archives/20...d_man_gets.html

My sources are telling me that Method Man has been dropped from Def Jam and the official word will be out soon. Reason? You guessed it. Low album sales. Now I don't know if the lack of promotion was Meth's fault or the label's, but I do know somebody slept on their promotion job for this new album of his. I wouldn't be surprised if the label purposely didn't promote the album so they can ax him with good reason. Y'all know Meth has been running his mouth about the folks over at Def Jam and they may have just gotten fed up with it.

So if this info does ring true, who will Meth end up signing with? Not many labels are willing to put up with ****-talking artists, but having a beast like Meth on your label could prove to be a very valuable investment. And there's not many labels who dedicate the same kind of time and effort to true hip hop that they dedicate to hip hop with a pop edge. Decisions, decisions.

Nas @ the Boost Mobile Concert this weekend at Radio City Music Hall

Here we go again. Sources are reporting that Nas' album release date will no longer be Nov. 14th, as planned. The new release date is supposedly Dec. 19th. Are we really surprised? Since Jay's album release date is still Nov. 21st, I'm not. All you Nas fans will just have to wait another month or so. This may be for the best, though. I hear Nas doesn't even have a single ready to push or any other publicity deals in the works yet. Damn shame.

Edited by bigted

Nas always seems to have a "Christmas" type release. I'm not complaining about the release date but what's been done is kinda you know. But if they came to an agreement about releasing each others albums on different days, it's okay. Reason cuz next thing you know, it's Nas VS Jay-Z 2 indirectly with album sales. And if Jay-Z is releasing on Nov. 21st, why haven't we seen site of a single? I thought he was a hustler. I'm asking, *coughs* excuse me, asxing bout him.

And Meth, aw man. That'd be wrong. Come on, Method Man is not a commercial type emcee. He just does his music and if people get down and feel it, they do. I actually liked his single "Say" w/ Lauryn Hill when I heard it on Nick Cannon's Wild n Out. What has happened to the Def Jam legacy? I know's it's adjusting with the times, but this is too much. Def Jam is like a root in Hip Hop's history timeline. If it goes out, what an ugly turn. Nas stopped, Method Man dropped, LL Cool J flopped, and Jay-Z the man on top. Wow!

What Jay-Z is doing is wrong here, now what I said about why he signed Nas is ringing true, to make sure Nas won't outshine him, that's some diva **** if you ask me, I hope that Nas comes out in December, he might just keep getting pushed back like Redman for all we know, one month, two months later, to five years later :damnlorettas: Wtf were they expecting Method Man to do if his video didn't come out with not many people knowing that his album was out? LL didn't really flop either, his video was getting played on TRL and it went gold which is like platinum in most other years 'cause people don't buy albums like they used to, even pop singers are struggling to sell big units, LL made those comments to Jay-Z 'cause he's sticking for real hip-hop, not necessarily 'cause of his album being promoted 'cause he don't care about that really, he cares about the genre of hip-hop, that's what he's doing it for, he's been at Def Jam since the beginning and he sees it going to the toilet... I really thought that when Jay-Z originally signed Nas and The Roots that he was gonna give them the opportunity to get the type of recognition on a major level that they deserved but it appears that he justs wants it all to himself since he gave The Roots promotion that they would've gotten on an underground label and pushes back Nas' album to make sure that his album could sell, Jay-Z has lost all credability to me, he's a selfish sellout...

Look, I know you're upset that Nas' album got pushed back, but How do you know there wasn't another reason for it happening? Was this even Confirmed? How come Just because Jay Z is also an MC, this decision is based on Greed and envy? And why would Jay Sign Nas to ensure that he doesn't outshine him? Be honest, When Jay Was on Def Jam/Roc, and Nas was on Sony, Jay Z did most of the shining in the public eye....

Know what I'm sayin?

Jay-Z shows that he don't give a damn about the art of hip-hop, why'd he promote garbage rap from Rick Ross and Young Jeezy and not show any support to real creative artists like Method Man and The Roots? Tell me why man, tell me why? As an artist that's been in the game for a while like Jay-Z you figure maybe he'd push a lil' harder to get the type of hip-hop that should be out there to the top where it should be but obviously he don't think like that, he's just promoting the same dime-a-dozen rap that's already out there 24/7, Nas at Columbia couldn't get the shine he deserved 'cause he wasn't promoted that well on the most part, he just puts out music from his heart, he never really complained that much about that, the fans did the complaining for him basically 'cause we wanna see the real artists shine, not these fake rappers... Jay-Z hogs the spotlight but like KRS once said "mcs are just hopeless/thinkin' record sales make them the dopest", his career's hype but there are quite a bit of mcs that could take him on...

It's just sad that the one with the most money is considered the best, Jazzy Jeff once said that in an interview about how the rap game went from who has the most skills to has the most riches and that is wack, skills should be what matters most, it ain't all Jay-Z fault, it's the rap industry in general, but Jay-Z ain't using his position to help so he's part of the problem, no matter how much of a fan of his you are, you have to see that....

Well that's business too...Who watches 106 and Park, TRL, listens to the Radio alot, and is heavily influenced by that and their Friends? High School kids and younger. What do they want? Most of them don't Want Mos Def, They don't want the Roots. They want Lil Jon and them. SAd but true.

Well that's business too...Who watches 106 and Park, TRL, listens to the Radio alot, and is heavily influenced by that and their Friends? High School kids and younger. What do they want? Most of them don't Want Mos Def, They don't want the Roots. They want Lil Jon and them. SAd but true.

Yeah that's what I been saying, it's what the kids want but I think that there could be a more broader audience if there was more balance out there, there are people out there that do want to buy music with substance but they don't know that it's out there 'cause they see a bunch of crap on TV and on the radio and they feel alienated and turn it off, if Jay-Z really wanted respect he'd at least put more effort, that's all I'm asking for, he's in the position as an artist who knows the way the industry works, he shouldn't just cave in and be like "what the hell, this is what sells even though it ain't that good but i'm gonna put it out there" when he promotes somebody like Rick Ross,he should at least get the Roots to release their video to the TV, they went platinum a few years ago, he shouldn't just give in and say "ah the Roots ain't gonna sell so why even promote it?", and dropping a great mc like Method Man throws all integrity out the door, he should be dropping Jeezy, Def Jam has always been a label that had credability for getting classic music to a mainstream level, now it's just another pop label :sick: :sick:

Jay-Z has never known what he's doing. Alot of people saw this kinda thing happening. LL leaving, Meth dropped, no other talented artists actively really doing anything other than The Roots (who are under promoted also). Ne-Yo and Rihanna are doing well...but they are R-N-B artists...not your typical Def Jam artists. Warren G, Pubic Enemy, Montell Jordan are long gone. Foxy Brown is on the label but they aren't looking over her album at all. Def Jam ended when Russell Simmons left...period.

Yeah Method Man said that he wanted to go indpendent, so he got he wish I guess, he wanted to get out of the sinking ship, the Roots will probably be following him out the door soon as well, Def Jam is now a pop label, the real artists are gonna leave there if Jay-Z don't get the pink slip soon enough, he better release Nas' album or else he'll get "Ether"'d again, lol....

Edited by bigted

Jay-Z has never known what he's doing. Alot of people saw this kinda thing happening. LL leaving, Meth dropped, no other talented artists actively really doing anything other than The Roots (who are under promoted also). Ne-Yo and Rihanna are doing well...but they are R-N-B artists...not your typical Def Jam artists. Warren G, Pubic Enemy, Montell Jordan are long gone. Foxy Brown is on the label but they aren't looking over her album at all. Def Jam ended when Russell Simmons left...period.

I absolutely agree with you, AJ. And don't forget, DMX isn't Def Jam anymore as well. And he was the guy that sold the most records and earned a lot of money to Def Jam during 1998 and 2003, I think.

I must say I have lost a lot of respect for Jay-Z for the job he has done with Def Jam. There was absolutely no promotion for Method Man or The Roots. Are you kidding me? That is a joke, he seems to only care about himself. Rick Ross is horrible, and he seems to be getting more promotion than anyone else on Def Jam other than Jay himself. I wonder if Nas is now questioning his decision to come to Def Jam.

According to Miss Info on Hot 97...Meth didn't get Dropped..

http://www.hot97.com/podcasts/missinfo.aspx

She Mentions it in Part 2...She said her Inside source said.."It isn't true, but they would be happy if it did happen"...

I don't know who "They" are (Def Jam or Her source...Leaning towards her source).

Edited by Vipa

I think DMX outsold Ja Rule between '98-'03,all 5 of his albums on Def Jam debuted at #1 and they all went at least platinum, Ja Rule's first few albums sold platinum plus but his last couple went around gold, Columbia ain't really helping DMX much either but at least he got his album out there now which Def Jam didn't want to do, he left there and got his album out, if he was still there he probably wouldn't come out yet,

... I think going independent might be the best for a lot of these rappers, it's working for Ice Cube, his album went gold recently through his own imprint, maybe The Roots and Method Man would have more success doing that...