JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J Tapped To Play Cop With A Heart

bigted

LL Cool J Tapped to Play Cop With A Heart

Monday - September 18, 2006 by Alexis Chase

LL Cool J is set to star in a new TV drama in development called "The Man."

The show, which was developed by "CSI" creator Anthony Zuiker, stars LL as an undercover L.A. cop who must balance his gritty job fighting crime while also raising the three troubled kids he's adopted. According to The Hollywood Reporter, CBS has already given the project pilot commitment from CBS Paramount Network TV.

"We're going to have a different sting every week, while the children's stories will be serialized," Zuiker told The Hollywood Reporter.

The show is titled after LL's character, whose high-ranking hustler cover of being "the man" in L.A. means he has access to just about anything, from nightclubs to Lakers tickets. Meanwhile, his adopted children struggle with their own personal devils. One boy has been abused and continues to act out his aggression, his adopted daughter is a former streetwalker who he's helped enroll in community college while his skateboarding adopted son is a recovering drug addict.

Zuiker says LL's "The Man" character was inspired by the rapper/actor's real life struggle to balance being a famous performing artist with his responsibilities as husband and father of four.

"He can be an amazing multi-platinum rapper and an amazing father," Zuiker said of LL. "He has such an amazing spirit and an amazing connection with the audience."

Zuiker, who attended his first LL concert at age 14, came up with "The Man" this August after receiving a call from CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler asking whether he'd be interested in creating a show for LL Cool J. As SOHH previously reported, the network signed LL to a seven figure talent deal this July.

"He loved it, and we're now officially in business," Zuiker said.

Zuiker will write and executive produce "The Man" while LL Cool J and his manager Jason Barrett will serve as producers. Zuiker, who created the "CSI" franchise seven years ago will also continue to executive all three "CSI" shows.

Thanx 4 posting this. At least there is something coming out 2 distract attention away from this G-Unit infested album. It just goes 2 show he's not focusing on this album 2 much...just trying 2 get off the label formally known as Def Jam.

Personally I'll be surprised now if his album will even come out this year and who knows he might not even leave Def Jam either, he's said it many times before that he was leaving there and it never happened yet, it won't really be better if he goes to another label either, most record labels are wack, as long as he just does some music in between I'll be happy, this show that he's working on sounds really interesting btw

Now on another note I gotta add that I've heard Game's new single "One Blood" and he says a line in there about "You're 38 and still rappin'?? Uhhh!!!" and I wonder if he's going after LL since he's 38 years old, maybe that's why LL's working with 50, maybe they're gonna making a Game diss track together...

Edited by bigted

Yeah I hope that there won't be a LL-Game beef either, but it seems that Game throwing a subliminal at some 38 year old rapper in "One Blood", which is kinda weird that he'd diss a rapper for being too old when he works with Dr. Dre who's one of the oldest at 41 years old

Game's dissing Jigga I think.

Jigga's 36 not 38 though, I'm thinking Game might be dissing LL 'cause he might think that 50's trying to get LL to help him in his battles, it could be a reference to some random 38 year old that's rapping to get a record deal still, he might not be going after a famous rapper, who knows