JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Lyrics Meaning Questions

nana

• Members

Hi. I run a Will Smith fansite with my friends and we are putting lyrics translation to Japanese on the site.

But it's so hard for us to understand the meaning of his lyrics and translate correctly, of course...

So can I ask some questions about it?

1. Chasing Forever

>I got a question if the prada dressing and the Gucci

>All got goes and the freeze on the Lucci

What does he mean?

>Your eyes could make the sun rise all the birds sing

>Seal it with a kiss bind it with a ring

>More carrots than even bugs could eat in a week

>And the ribbon in the sky

More carrots? What does he talk about?

Are they songs titles or something?

2. The Rain

In the lyrics, he says children should feel the rain and the rain must flow.

But he CAN'T feel the rain.

He have never felt the rain since he overcame struggles in his life.

Does he regard that as a good thing or a bad thing?

I think I totally miss the meaning...

3. Tell Me Why

Sorry, this is not a lyrics meaning question, but which son inspired him to write this lyrics, Trey or Jaden?

I think I read somewhere it was Jaden, but I'm not sure...

• Members

Sorry for going off topic, but are you from Japan? In that case, do you know if you got any b-sides over there that we dont have, except Chosen one?

Oh yes, we can manage to get some b-sides like Get Hyped, From Da South, Family Christmas, Lovely Daze, Don't Fight The Feeling and so on.

Which one do you want?

well in the chasing forever one, i dont know about the gucci part but i do know the carrot part. They measure gold in carrots, the smallest is 9, but the more carrots your gold has, the more expensive/better it is etc. Hes basically saying hes gonna give Jada loads of carrots of gold, then he made that analogy to bugs, coz bugs eat carrots. i hope that makes sence, its hard to explain.

The rain one, i think hes trying to say we are supposed to feel the rain/bad things in life. If we feel the rain we can overcome it and become a better person bcoz of it. He thinks children should be allowed to feel a bit of struggle to help them grow as people. I think he feels the rain, but tries to not let it bother him.

and the last one, i think i heard it was jaden that was praying to God, but i think all his children inspired him, bcoz he cant answer why these things are happening to any of them.

hope that helps. I think diffenet people can get different things from Wills songs sometimes, i like to think u can interpret it your own way.

• Members

Thank you so much Julie, Tim!

If you don't mind, I want to add your names to "Special Thanks" credit on my site. :bowdown:

As for b-side tracks, I'll upload Don't Fight the Feeling & Get Hyped next week if it's OK with you.

And you can listen to some songs online.

Family Christmas (from 7:40)

Lovely Daze

Summertime Jazzy Jeff's mix

Megamix

Get Hyped

well in the chasing forever one, i dont know about the gucci part but i do know the carrot part. They measure gold in carrots, the smallest is 9, but the more carrots your gold has, the more expensive/better it is etc. Hes basically saying hes gonna give Jada loads of carrots of gold, then he made that analogy to bugs, coz bugs eat carrots. i hope that makes sence, its hard to explain.

I think he's talking about carrots of diamonds, not gold. The more carrots is the weight of diamond, so the more carrots, the larger the diamond.