JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Todd Smith = Born to Reign?

dkny2kx

I think "Todd Smith"'s like an updated version of his "Phenomenon" album, I don't think any of FP's albums are similar to that album

I don't think they are similar at all. Todd Smith is like LL grown up and laidback. It may be just a lil' 2 comfortable and safe 4 him...but since The DEFinition came out so recently, i'm just happy 2 get an album so soon. Born To Reign is FP's experimental album. The only similarity that i think that albums have is that both of them are very unpressured on their lyrics. Compared to their other work, their lyrics just seem less inspired on these albums. LL's most experimental album would be Phenomenon. He's got the glossly, late 90's party jams, the raw street stuff, the R-N-B love trax, and the deeper introspective stuff. While the sound of the album is good, it's just peiced 2gether in a weird way....but i love that album.

I think "Todd Smith" was a step forward for LL as an artist after "The Definition" 'cause even though "The Definition" had hot tracks on it he really didn't rap about anything except clubbin' but on "Todd Smith" there was more thought out tracks like "We're Gonna Make It", "Down The Isle", and "Best Dress", then there was a couple street tracks that he did with Juelz and Freeway in "What You Want" and "LL and Santana", then there was club tracks like "Control Myself" and "Preserve The Sexy", and of course the laid back tracks like "Favorite Flavor" and "So Sick" remix, like "Phenomenon" I thought that the album ended a lil' too soon, maybe a few more tracks on each and they'd be even stronger, still they're both solid albums

Solid, yeah.. But LL could do much better. That fact frustrates me a lil. It's time for another "The G.O.A.T.". Now that was one hell of a Album.

Well I don't expect that now with him doing an album with 50, it's probably gonna be another "10" or "The Defintion" type album, they're probably gonna do "Candy Shop"/"Headsprung" songs and just dance around with their shirts off in the video

Maybe its more like Mobb Deeps Album.. or like the Get Rich or Die Trying Soundtrack. With LL spitting some dope lines, and maybe some feautures like Prodigy or something.. Coud be nice. Dont forget the fact that 50 is just a Executive Producer. That dont mean it all the time sounds like him. Jay-z was the executive producer of Fort Minor's Album.

Well, according 2 the new single "Bump This"...LL is letting G-Unit trash his music. The beat is okay for a mainstream track...but it's a sound that's been done. LL flows over the track as nice as he's always done, but he's let his rhymes slip a lil' lower 2 the grimier side of things. And even tho' he's not cussing on the track, he's like those idiots Lloyd Banks and Hot Rod cuss on the track. While a prefer Hip-Hop without all the explict lyrics, i don't mind it when it's not done just 2 get a sticker. I love The G.O.A.T....but this new album is scaring me.

"Bump This" is a single? I thought it was just something done for mixtapes, it's a hot track though but if that's gonna indicate what the album's gonna be like, it's gonna be another "Definition" album like I said earlier which ain't bad but I want more like Turntable said, I don't think many of Mobb Deep's fanbase or people in general consider Mobb Deep's latest album close to their best material, the "Get Rich Or Die Tryin'" soundtrack was ok on 50's standards but not really that impressive either, I'm not expecting another "Mama Said...", "Mr. Smith", "Radio", "G.O.A.T." or even "14 Shots..." "Walking With A Panther"here, I'm just hoping it ain't worse than "10" or "Defintion", at best it might be as good as Puffy executive producing "Phenomenon" and the Carter Administration executive producing "Todd Smith", but I don't expect a classic, maybe 50 could get Dr. Dre to produce some on the album, that's like the only thing that I might be excited about at this point

I can't expect somebody like 50 who wastes time making diss songs on mixtapes about a non writing rapper like Puffy to help bring out the G.O.A.T. in LL, only time'll tell though, btw if the album's really gonna come out this fall I'm sure we'll be hearing a single coming out soon, it'll be interesting if it comes out the same time as Jay-Z' and Nas' albums...

Edited by bigted