JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Flava Flav Raps And Sings On Debut Solo Album

bigted

Flavor Flav Raps, Sings On Debut Solo Album

By Nolan Strong

Date: 9/12/2006 4:40 pm

Rapper Flavor Flav, the current star of VH1's top rated reality series Flavor of Love 2, is preparing the release of a new self-titled album this Halloween.

Flavor Flav, born William Drayton Jr., announced the album will be released on his own independent label, Draytown Records, which is distributed by Redeye Distribution.

"I got some things off my chest, but not all," Flav said. "I doubt I will ever do another one, though. What I'm gonna do is make this one a collector's item. My first and only solo album, ever."

Flavor Flav, known as "the greatest hypeman in Hip-Hop," rose to fame with pioneering rap group Public Enemy, releasing poignant, controversial political statements.

The group became well known for such hits as "Don't Believe the Hype," "Rebel Without a Pause," "Fight the Power," "911 is a Joke" and others, which featured Flavor Flav's distinctive personality and vocals.

As a member of Public Enemy, he was featured on landmark Hip-Hop albums like Yo! Bum The Show! (1987), It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (1988) Fear Of A Black Planet (1990) and others.

The rapper has recorded several albums throughout his career, but none have ever been released. Flavor Flav enters uncharted territory on the album, by singing two R&B songs, "Let It Show" and "Two Wrongz (Don't Make a Right)."

"I'm saying some, real true positive stuff in there, too," Flavor Flav continued. "Once they get used to it, I think people can accept me singing."

The first single from the album is the rap/rock single "Flavor Man."

The new season of VH1's reality series Flavor of Love is the latest in a string of television successes for the rapper. The rapper appeared in The Surreal Life (2003), Strange Love (2005) and most recently, 2006's Flavor of Love.

The show features 20 girls who compete in elimination style competition, all in an attempt to find the right woman for Flavor Flav.

When the second series of "Flavor of Love" premiered in Aug. 2006, the show drew over 3 million viewers, making it the most watched series debut in VH1's history.

Flavor Flav is currently planning a new album and tour of the United States with Public Enemy.

"Flav is beyond limits. I'm just gonna keep going and going and going and going and going until I can't go no more."

Chuck made a comment on his last terrordome in July:

"Yes finally a few Public Enemy tours are in the making, and August -September will be the time we rehearse in what promises to be a standout show. With NEW WHIRL ODOR and REBIRTH songs added as well as pulling songs from twenty years of PE. Internationally in October, then November across the states, the first complete with FLAV since 1999 as far as full tour. With FLAV's TV show popularity I'm interested to see the make up of this audience and definitely eased to share the stage and perform at full effort and half motor."

Dang, Flav singing?? C'mon now. Hopefully it will be a great album. I will probably have to listen to samples before I buy it.

Edited by bart5

Flavour Flav is hilarious. Definitly one of the funniest people in Hip-Hop. He's never been considered a serious emcee and that's why he can get away with the crazy stuff he does. I'm definitly gonna pick the album up. It's been almost 10 years since he started recording to release a solo album.

Yeah, those R-N-B trax are strictly for comical reasons. Some people are taking it so seriously. Anyone who knows Flavor Flav knows his style and how he talks and interviews. It's all fun...don't take Flav's music 2 seriously....he doesn't.

Flava Flav is that dude, yeah boyyyyyyy!!!

Flava ain't a great lyrcist, but he brings something to rap thats pretty cool. Character and hooks.

As for his solo album, gonna wait til i haear what you all think of it before i consider gettin't it. Not sure exactly how varied it can be.

He must be the oldest guy in Hip-Hop releasing stuff commercially