JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jay-Z Reportedly Fired By Def Jam

bigted

www.okayplayer.com

Speaking of Def Jam, 2007, and Jay-Z (watch the A&E videos for ?uesto's commentary on the new Jay-Z)... rumor on the street is that Jay's been fired. Of course, when this news officially comes out, it will be positioned as if he's stepping down (just in time for his world tour and new album). Dig it, I don't know dude and I truly enjoy every one of his albums, but how any music exec could see past the fact that this label released albums from Method Man and The Roots ON THE SAME DAY with damn near no promotions (respective to how these artists are used to being treating) is totally beyond me. That being said, hopefully the climate at the label in 2007 will return to that which earned them the title as the greatest label in hip hop..... hopefully.

This sounds like an answered prayer. If this is true, i think most people can say they saw this coming...cuz it's no secret that he's been running the label in2 the ground. To me, Def Jam's doors closed when Russell left.

Clearly Jay-Z has not been doing a good job at all, I mean come on, there was no promotion for The Roots or Method Man, that is a disgrace. Hopefully this rumor is true and maybe this will deflate Jay's oversized ego a little bit.

Well this is great news if it's true, if Jigga wants to rap still he shouldn't be Def Jam president, LL said it best that Jay-Z is only good at promoting Jay-Z, Def Jam has fallen off ever since Russell Simmons left, it used to represent the best of hip-hop but not anymore

Well, on another hand... Jigga didnt only do a good job promoting himself. Thanks to Jigga, Young jeezy is one of the most hyped act's around. Same for Rihanna and Ne-Yo. He just should have also promoted other type of artists. I think that was the whole problem.

Yeah that's true but those artists ain't really considered the best artists in hip-hop, Def Jam used to represent classic hip-hop on a mainstream, the problem lies that Jigga needs to sign better new artists and give support to the legends that're still there, I think the best thing would be for somebody that's not an artist to take over as president of Def Jam, somebody like Dame Dash would be good, Jay gets too much credit for Roc-A-Fella but it was Dame Dash that was the head of that, you see only Kanye is shining now on there since Dame Dash left, it don't have to be Dash necessarily but the main thing would be though that the new president of Def Jam won't be an artist is the point I'm making... Jay's not a good president, he's a good artist though...

Edited by bigted

Weeee, he did not only promote himself, he also brought up the worst peace of **** there is. Thank you!

But... sure, Jigga might be fired, but I wont jump up and down until I know who's taking over.

Hopefully the new guy will kick as godzilla though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_u0K_yi5QI

Edited by Lerkot

Well, on another hand... Jigga didnt only do a good job promoting himself. Thanks to Jigga, Young jeezy is one of the most hyped act's around. Same for Rihanna and Ne-Yo. He just should have also promoted other type of artists. I think that was the whole problem.

Yeah that's true but those artists ain't really considered the best artists in hip-hop, Def Jam used to represent classic hip-hop on a mainstream, the problem lies that Jigga needs to sign better new artists and give support to the legends that're still there, I think the best thing would be for somebody that's not an artist to take over as president of Def Jam, somebody like Dame Dash would be good, Jay gets too much credit for Roc-A-Fella but it was Dame Dash that was the head of that, you see only Kanye is shining now on there since Dame Dash left, it don't have to be Dash necessarily but the main thing would be though that the new president of Def Jam won't be an artist is the point I'm making... Jay's not a good president, he's a good artist though...

Yeah. I agree. The best bussinesman in Hop Hop are the ons who arent artists, or arent serious artists (With J.D. beeing a special case), like Dame Dash, Irv Gotti.. They dont need no rapper to run Def Jam, the need a bussinesman.

Well I think that maybe if Jigga wanted to step back for a minute and put energy into running Def Jam then he might be able to have success but with him working on a new album and doing concerts is really showing that he really doesn't deserve to have that opportunity, he's really just after having the title that way it could promote his image so he could sell more albums himself, JD has success at being head of a record label 'cause he's more of a producer, he's not out there doing concerts and he don't put out that much of his own songs