JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

SEPTEMBER 11TH

DevilsJim89

Today is it, 5 years since those vicious attacks against the United States on September 11th, 2001. Its hard to believe how long its been since that and I remember the day like it was yesterday. I just happen to be going to the city tomorrow and my friends and I are going to stop at the WTC Ground Zero memorial before we goto WWE Monday Night Raw at Madison Square Garden.

Lets all take a moment and just reflect on everything..

Do you remember where you were/what you were doing?

I was young, I was 12 years old in 8th grade. in middle school. I remember sitting in health class and it was around 11:20AM (2 and half or so hours after the attacks) and the principal went on the loudspeaker and told us what was going on. I couldn't believe it. Going home that day watching the brutal images on television - just wow. It was jaw-dropping. As an American prior to 9/11, I know me personally and others haven't even thought of terror and didn't think something ever bad would happen to our country. Wow were we caught off-guard. I'm not sure what the plans are for the future of Ground Zero but I hope one day they can rebuild the towers again and fill in the large gap in the New York City skyline again. God Bless American everyone! Say some prayers for those who underservingly died and all their families. My heart goes out to all of them.

I was 17, I remember coming home from college in the afternoon and heading upstairs to where my sister and Mum were in my sis's room watching the news on TV. It was quite surreal. Ddin't sink in for a while.

Yes. Too much talk about 11/9. I feel sorry for the victims and the people who know them, but thats it. Instead of wasting on something that killed like 2900 people five years ago, give some attention to something that kills millions of people... hunger... aids.

Yeah I'm with you on that, it's definately a trajedy that should never be forgotten but there's other trajedy's going on in the world that deserve some attention too

Yes, there's alot of crap that happens in the world every day, but that day was a shocking moment in the history of the USA and the world, too.

I'm living in Germany, so it was about 3 or 4 pm when the airplanes crashed the towers. I was 16 years old, watching pay tv (a show or somethin'), when my father came in and told me that NY was attacked. So I switched the channels and saw that tragedy. German tv made specials almost one week long, I think.

Yes. Too much talk about 11/9. I feel sorry for the victims and the people who know them, but thats it. Instead of wasting on something that killed like 2900 people five years ago, give some attention to something that kills millions of people... hunger... aids.

Americans are very American centrict, they're mostly more concerned about deaths of Americans then of deaths of other people. Though, I would suspect that this is the case by and large around the world, it's just Americans take it to a more extream. I think it's pretty natural that 9/11 impacted the Americans so much... Though it'd be nice if folks actually where even aware of all the needless deaths in the world.

Back on topic. I was driving to work and I heard it when I turned on the radio. The first thing I heard was something about a landmark being destroyed in New York and I thought it must be the Statue of Liberty. When I got to work, everyone was watching TV, because the CNN site was overloaded. Even in Indy, there where concerns that there might be a plane heading for us, or attacks on a government building. After an hour or two, we got sent home for the day, the city was virtually deserted by then. The thing that strikes me most about it all was the uncertainty that first day, wondering if New York/DC/Penn was just the opening assaults for a massive nation wide compaign.

Exactly, there are worse things going on besides september 11. But first off, its being handled in a similar fashion to the JFK assination. People who were downtown that day said they heard bombs going off and that has haunted me and my mom to this day. Way too many people said they heard bombs go off. This is very similar to people saying they heard a shot coming from the fence when JFK was shot.

Also there is truth to this (mainly because people know what they heard) and also because the official report / 9/11 comission report (and I use the word "official" very loosely) said that the heat from the fires is what caused the buildings to collapse, here is what is wrong with that account:

If the heat is what caused the buildings to collapse then the buildings collapsed in reverse. The North Tower was struck seventeen minutes before the south tower.

Also the South tower had smaller fires

Also, both towers had a lot of fire in them after the planes hit. Now, its impossible for a fire to melt steel like that. Because fired based on jet fuel aka kerosene can at most rise a little above 1700 degrees farenheit, whereas steel begins to melt only at about 2770 degrees farenheit.

Finally, the buildings collapsed in the fashion, and had characteristics of controlled demolition collapses. which are produced by explosives going off in a particular order. Namely:

1) Each collapse occured at a free-fall speed.

2) Each building collapsed practically into its own footprint

3) Virtually all concrete was turned into fine dust

4) Each collapse produced molten steel which produced the "hot spots" which kept fires burning for months after.

The worst part of it all was that my stupid government overreacted to what happened. The conservatives who had control of Congress and the Presidency basically gave the middle-finger to the to the world and they did their own thing.

And finally, Jacques Chirac of France came here first as soon as air travel was possible, he was the first head-of-state to come here, and roughly a week after that Tony Blair came in, and for some stupid reason nobody cared that a French head of state came by, they only cared about Tony Blair. (Maybe we perfer to give respect to the people who gave us "taxation without representation" as opposed to the people who actually helped us become a country.)

I was 21. It waz my day off and i didn't have any classes that day. My mom actually woke me at 8 or 9 that morning to tell me my Uncle died (which was totally unrelated 2 the attacks). That waz sad but no real surprise due to his health. I went back to sleep and work up about 2 hours later. For some reason my dad waz home from work and said "have you heard what's been going on?" I waz like "Yeah, Uncle Bill passed away this morning." He waz like "no..." and pointed at the TV. It waz really one of those things that just didn't sink in for awhile. My heart definitly went out 2 all of the people effected by it on all levels, but it just seemed so surreal that didn't really realize exactly what waz going on. I remember that me and my girlfriend (at the time) had just started going out. Life waz just very bright, carefree, and fun at that point. My girlfriend's classes got cancelled that day and half of the shopping centers were closed. We got away and had a picnic in the middle of the woods with what waz going on as an underline to the moment. But late that nite, when i waz alone, it all really sunk in and felt like a reality. I turned on the TV and kinda soaked it all in. That nite, life just felt darker. It's amazing how TV and music changed. And how much some people changed...at least 4 the moment.

While i think it's 2 much to dwell on 9/11, i think that it's wake-up call has worn off on the US. The entire world for that matter needs more heart.

Yeah well it'd be good if people could use trajedies like this as motivation to show heart and appreciate living more, btw damn it's kinda hard to believe it's been 5 years already, I was 16 years old at the time and was in gym class in high school when I heard about it

It is so hard to believe it has been 5 years, I remember it clear as day, I was 14, a freshman in high school and saw it on TV in English class, I can remember my shock and horror, it was a sad day in history. My heart goes out to all those who lost loved ones and that day made me appreciate life so much more ever since then.

And finally, Jacques Chirac of France came here first as soon as air travel was possible, he was the first head-of-state to come here, and roughly a week after that Tony Blair came in, and for some stupid reason nobody cared that a French head of state came by, they only cared about Tony Blair. (Maybe we perfer to give respect to the people who gave us "taxation without representation" as opposed to the people who actually helped us become a country.)

I sense somebody doesn't like the English :bufordpusser: haha, kidding of course

I see what you are saying but I think the thing people had in their mind that at that time was the fact Bush publicly said that Blair was the first person on the phone after it had happend to offer suport.

And the suposed "special relationship" between US - UK, are all things you have to take into account