JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL news

MooseKnuckles

not a very flattering article..i never cared much for his music, but i respected him as an artist..not anymore

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1540065/2...?headlines=true

the pic was bad enough to look at, but if he is unhappy with jay-z, there are better ways to resolve the situation than shooting his mouth off..this is how all that talkin s**t starts, and thats very 8th-grade..this dude needs to grow up

What LL's saying about Def Jam is basically what I've been saying for the past few months, it seems that Jay-Z' more concerned with promoting his so-called "coming out of retirement" album rather than promoting the hip-hop artists on Def Jam(sure he promotes the r&b acts like Ne-Yo and Rihanna but this is the greatest hip-hop label in the world we're talking here), I mean look what he did to DMX, where's Redman's album? How could you lose respect for somebody that comes out and speaks the truth like that? If I didn't go on the internet I swear I wouldn't know that Method Man and The Roots had albums out this week 'cause they got no videos on TV right now, he signed Nas to make sure that Nas won't outsell him, I really think Jay just became president of Def Jam just to promote his own image, people call LL soft for doing love songs but why is it cool for Jay to do love songs with Beyonce? "Broke ass critics always got something to say/What the **** you know about hip-hop I'm LL Cool J", this man's been in the rap industry before a lot of these so called rap fans today were born, he has the right to defend the state of the game, the reality is that Jay-Z took LL's formula of putting platinum albums together by having hardcore tracks and love songs on it but yet these kiddies act like Jay's the originator and LL's just some bitter old man but nah it ain't that way, LL's paid his dues, he has the right to say this, I just don't get it, of course I'd rather see LL blast 50 for all the things he's done to ruin hip-hop too, hopefully 50 disses LL in the studio like Canibus did and we'll see that happen, lol, like I was saying before I think LL should do an album with DMX instead of a fake puppet like 50, that'd really be some aggressive stuff right there...

Edited by bigted

Well Jay's going off to do a world tour this month for his upcoming album supposedly instead of helping promote The Roots and Method Man albums(Could you tell me if you seen their videos on MTV or BET yet? We'll probably see Jay's video come out before theirs at this rate), there's been more news in the media about Kanye producing Jay's album than there has been about Ghostface's album being out it seemed a few months ago, come on now is he an artist or a president of a record label?

"I think Def Jam needs to be a better promoter of hip-hop," the rapper reportedly griped. "I think Jay-Z does a very good job ... of promoting Jay-Z", couldn't say it better myself if you ask me...

Edited by bigted

I have two different feelings about this.

First and foremost, Def Jam does need better artists and better promotion. I dont think Jay-Z should be running it. Number two, LL is disappointing me even more. Hes a rap veteran - shouldn't be hanging with 50. LL is becoming a sellout. Hes so much smarter than that but its so clear that hes using 50 to bolster his career even more. I swear to God, if he signs to G-Unit, I'm done.

A young LL from Queens back in the day is much different than a wack rapper #1 from Queens. Two completely different rappers. LL is respected veteran, 50 is an upcoming crap rapper.

First of all I ain't buying into this Jay-Z gimmick "oh i'm coming out of retirement" now when we heard his ass rap on a million remixes over the last couple years, if he signed up to be the president of Def Jam he needs to get the **** off the mic and do his job or get somebody else to do it if he wants to rap still, he's ruining great mcs' careers by pushing them to the side to promote himself, that's some selfish **** right there and of course like I said LL needs to team with a real mc like DMX or KRS-ONE if he wants to maintain that strong cred he's had over the last 20 years, working with 50 really is gonna hurt him, his original fans will all go away and only kiddies will care about him, I pray that he comes to his senses and doesn't do that for hip-hop's sake, he needs to stop worrying about trying to sell the most records and just make the real **** that the real fans love him for, yeah there's a major difference between when LL started his career and 50 did, 50 started his career by dissing other rappers while LL started his career by displaying skills that nobody ever heard before through hard work, 50's a dime a dozen and shows that anybody could get a record deal, he's a joke like K-Fed...

Edited by bigted

This whole thing is crazy. LL Cool J is a pioneer and a legend. Working with 50 is obviously some kinda crazy move he's making since he's unhappy at Def Jam. I look at it this way. 50 is trash. He's as bad as they come. The fact that LL is working with him just seems like a rebellion against the people who feel are jerking his career around and ruining Hip-Hop's commerical side further. The fact that LL did that many trax that fast while working with 50 reminds me of 2Pac on Deathrow. 2Pac recorded alot of trax very fast with weaker lyrics and subject matter just 2 complete those albums 2 get off the label. The art suffered and we never got 2 see what he waz gonna do next.

About Def Jam...i isn't Def Jam anymore. The artists, the quality...nothing is the same or as good. I've never really liked Jay-Z, but that has nothing 2 do with me thinkin' his running the label in2 the ground and spitting on it's name. And i think LL said what needed 2 be said. There waz no name-calling in his statements. He made his claim with class and honesty. There waz no immature "shooting off at the mouth."

I really hope things fall apart between LL and wack rapper #1 and that this album never comes out. And that someone who is actually smart will take over Def Jam.

I agree def jams promotion aint great..but workin with 50 aint the answer! i lost a lot of respect for LL with that move

:word: i feel the same way

btw

i saw The Roots new video bigted but it's not on the TV it's on Youtube.com :shrug: anyway it's dope , they mixed three song in one clip ,maybe and they know that they dont gonna have a second video :ponder:

I have a feeling that this LL album is gonna flop badly both musically(do we really think that 50's gonna help create a classic album with LL if he can't do that himself, I see myself downloading this album myself, I'll probably buy another copy of the "G.O.A.T." album) and commercially 'cause there's a lot of people that're sick of 50's gimmicks, basically I've heard nothing but negative comments about LL wanting to do an album with 50, if LL just put his ear out in the streets he'd know this, he must be surrounding by yes men or something... G-Unit is like the Titanic(ask Mobb Deep who thought they'd sell more by working with 50 when they go wood instead and lost their core fans who yelled out sell out) since basically everything 50's been involved with since the flop of his movie has flopped, I don't see no difference here especially since LL's core fanbase look at LL's music as an alternative for 50's crap and now him coming out saying how much he's feeling 50 and getting involved with this album is gonna have LL lose more fans then gain, there's gonna be people coming out to call LL a hypocrite and say "You're criticising Jigga for ruining hip-hop but why're you working 50 when he's doing the same thing, what're you trying to prove?", maybe even another rapper might come out to say this, and of course will Jay-Z really promote LL at all now that LL came out and said this? Of course like AJ said LL said it more classy, I doubt he's gonna make any Jigga diss songs either, and btw look at Method Man's comments on Def Jam and you'll see the difference, that's probably why he won't have a video out either, lol....

btw, come on Vipa, DMX spent quite a bit of the 3 years away from recording music, his "retirement" was more legit, but he never really called it retirement either, he was more just quitting the music industry 'cause of all the bull**** going on, if it wasn't for Mase convincing him to make music he wouldn't anymore, but Jay-Z' constantly making music and repeated over and over that he's "retired", really?!! I actually look at this LL and 50 collab album like DMX's "Grand Champ" release, just material being put out to get out of contract...

Edited by bigted

LL was talking quite a few times about starting his own label and signing other artists, songwriters, and producers on it, making it like a Motown for the new millenium, he probably wants to wait until his rap career winds down a lil' bit that way he could put the energy into the other artists rather than just throwing the spotlight on himself, 'cause we see that with rap artists who are also head of their labels, it seems like they put themselves out in the front while the other artists play background(ie Bad Boy with Puffy, Jay-Z with Roc-A-Fella, Master P with No Limit), this is something he should do right now when the Def Jam deal expires, he needs to take it to another level, rather than just being signed to another record company 'cause no company respects the art of music, it's time for a real artist with the power of LL to step up and help bring integrity back to the music industry

Edited by bigted