JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Do you think Will cares too much about sales?

While I was writing in the "next album" thread, I was thinking "Does Will care too much about sales?" A lot of you were saying that he should go underground. I think that would be cool, but in a way Will sort of wants to make records more for the sales rather than for quality (if you think that sounds mean just pop in track 3 on B2R and wait for the chorus) Its obvious that he should get back together with Jeff and just do some straight JJFP especially for the 20 year anniversary. But I'll just put up a few points to show what I've observed:

he cares about sales:

*talks about them in rhymes

*changed his style for L&F, but the singles were only the BWS style tracks

*promotes on MTV, and didn't really try to stop people from milking switch

he doesn't care about sales:

*sticks to what he says (i.e. doesn't curse)

*did change his style for L&F, and that could have turned some people off

*let B2R be released (okay fine, THAT was mean, :P)

I think what Will said back in the Homebase era was best: "Well, we changed our style for this album is because our audience grew like we did and they would like this style more." (I paraphrased) I think Will's solo stuff should also change with his audience in a similar fashion, and L&F is a good start, but I want to see that continue.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he cares about sales:

Will just playing their game and showing how with positive stuff u can still make good sales and to make them pshhhhhh :wiggle: ... i think every single artist cares about sales less or more , i mean this is his job and for Will 2 but i dont think he cares too much ,especially lately , Will is just doing his stuff

Edited by fresh_from_sofia

I totally think the opposite about that, this album was an effort to compete with the other commercial rap albums out at that time, he was singing on a lot of the songs like Ja Rule and Nelly were doing, he was probably aiming for their audience, it was a failed effort 'cause Columbia didn't release anything, sure it wasn't that great of an album but not many great albums were selling then/selling now, quality of music has nothing to do with sales in my view, if anything gets marketed and promoted enough it could sell in the music industry, I honestly don't understand Will's view on sales sometimes 'cause he says different things all the time on it, he said in an interview before that he don't mind if people download his music but then goes on "Switch" and says "don't download go out and buy the record", then he says around the BET Awards that he don't care about sales but then since "Lost and Found" didn't sell that much he gives up on music for the last year basically and is just focused on films again, I don't know man... :ponder:

I think Will cant care less about sales, but that he cars a lot about popularity, like radio airplay and so on... he doesnt really care if people buy it as long as a decent number likes it and hears it.

I think you are probably right about that, Will probably wants to get BWS sales again and do a full blown tour. He may be missing that

i think he cares about sales but for the right reasons. He doesnt like rap music nowadays as much as we dont. i think he wants to keep positive rap alive. But he would never sell out and change for sales.

Hes not doing it for money hes doing it for hip hop.

That is a good point as well, If positive rap sells a lot then that means there's and audience for it.

I think he cares about sales.. and it's normal, I think u like to see your stuff on the top of charts... we are talknig of a guy who sold 30mil of copies during his career!

yeah, that's true also. Every artist wants their album to make it to number 1

he cares about sales:

Will just playing their game and showing how with positive stuff u can still make good sales and to make them pshhhhhh :wiggle: ... i think every single artist cares about sales less or more , i mean this is his job and for Will 2 but i dont think he cares too much ,especially lately , Will is just doing his stuff

yeah, that is true, I think he lately cares more about the box office than record sales

I totally think the opposite about that, this album was an effort to compete with the other commercial rap albums out at that time, he was singing on a lot of the songs like Ja Rule and Nelly were doing, he was probably aiming for their audience, it was a failed effort 'cause Columbia didn't release anything, sure it wasn't that great of an album but not many great albums were selling then/selling now, quality of music has nothing to do with sales in my view, if anything gets marketed and promoted enough it could sell in the music industry, I honestly don't understand Will's view on sales sometimes 'cause he says different things all the time on it, he said in an interview before that he don't mind if people download his music but then goes on "Switch" and says "don't download go out and buy the record", then he says around the BET Awards that he don't care about sales but then since "Lost and Found" didn't sell that much he gives up on music for the last year basically and is just focused on films again, I don't know man... :ponder:

That was more of a joke point. but you are right, Will changes his mind on some views in this area. But you are very right about anything being promoted will sell. I did hear that if you listen to a song you hate enough you will end up liking it somewhat. But if Will did a real tour, his records would sell more and more.

He doesnt like rap music nowadays as much as we dont.

Right.. Will himself said that he likes 50`s music, and Will himself helped produce a movie for T.I.

On the subject:

He could care less if you ask me. "Big Will just get another 20 mil..". He`s like Master P., or Puffy etc. They dont give a **** about what theyr music sells, caus they dont need it any more. They are other type of hustlers, listed in blockbusters.. Will just cares about that allot of people have fun with his music, but he doesnt care if they buy it or just listen to it in clubs or download it. He said that in interviews.Thats why X-Zibit was pissed, if ya`ll remember that.

Edited by Turntable

You must have Will confused with LL, I don't think Will plans to do an album with 50 or anything like that, he just didn't want to start beef with him like Julie said, which again shows that he ain't concerned with sales 'cause if he called 50 out on record his record sales would go up in an instant, beef sells, he never took that route but I personally feel though if he's gonna make all these songs criticising the rap game he should just call out those wack rappers by name and tear them up in a lyrical battle, if he did that there wouldn't be anymore doubters of his rapping skills for damn sure, lol, it's kinda funny how he said gangsta rap is wack on a song in "Willenium" but yet he had Lil' Kim on the album, I just don't know sometimes with him, it's like when he says he's cool with downloading then says go out and buy the record and don't download...

Lost and Found" is actually an anti-mainstream type of album for Will's standards as well, you really got that mixed up sonic 'cause "Born To Reign" was an effort to try to sell and "Lost and Found" was an album that showed that Will wasn't caring about sales, lol...

Edited by bigted

Ya`ll dont even consider that your hero likes something you dont like, right? I think thats pretty lame. I never said Will was gonna record with 50, I just said that himself said he likes his stuff. He for shure doesnt just say that caus he`s`afarid of beef. If he wouldnt want to start anything, he`d just say nothing about 50. I mean, man, Will recordet with Petey Pablo.

Edited by Turntable

Well Will has openly said before that he liked Nelly, Jay-Z, and Ja Rule when most of here don't like them, personally I don't care who Will likes as long as he makes great music still...