JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Black Ice

Here's some more of the same:

Jazzy Jeff & Koch Team To Release Debut Album By Black Ice

By EbenGregory

Date: 8/17/2006 11:30 am

DJ Jazzy Jeff and Koch Records have teamed to release The Death of Willie Lynch, the debut album of Def Poetry Jam alum Black Ice.

Due to arrive in stores on September 5, the new disc features collaborations with Musiq Soulchild, Natalie Stewart of Floetry, Vee and Chyna Black. The CD also features production from Eric Greene Jr., the album’s only producer.

Black Ice, born Lamar Manson, was the first first spoken word artist signed to Def Jam Records. Performing spoken word since 1994, Black Ice was also cast as a lead member in Def Poetry on Broadway, which went on to win the 2003 Tony Award for Best Special Theatrical Event.

Ice is currently in the midst of performing with Mary J. Blige on her "Breakthrough Summer Tour 2006." Scheduled for more than 30 venues, the North American tour kicked off in mid-July with dates running into early September.

In related news, the Philadelphia poet recently put the finishing on the "Hoodwatch Movement Mixtape Volume I." He also plans on releasing a book of his prayers, entitled Me & God, a five year chronicle of Black Ice's journal writings.

SOURCE: ALLHIPHOP.COM

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Album Review

Seemed like poet/rapper Black Ice's debut album was promised years ago, long before he wowed everyone for five consecutive seasons on HBO's Def Poetry Jam. Stunning appearances on Method Man's Tical 0: The Prequel and Pete Rock's Soul Survivor II -- both released in 2004 -- got people talking, then the "first spoken word artist signed to Def Jam Records" announced two years later his debut was landing on Koch. If his liner note "thank you" to his label ("To KOCH...If the record industry was organized religion, you guys are the yoga center!!!") doesn't convince you the move from major to indie was a smart decision, one listen to the unaffected The Death of Willie Lynch will. First off, there's no parade of superstar guest stars and producers. Instead, Black Ice has enlisted a handful of well-chosen guests and stuck with one producer for the whole shebang, Eric "Booty" Greene. Rather than being a scattershot showoff album, the latter choice keeps Ice's debut flowing like it should, with Greene offering a wealth of ideas without ever losing sight of that "hang together" feeling so many anticipated debuts ignore. It allows Black Ice to roam freely from the opening, bragging track to the heartbreaking "The Ugly Show," which sounds a lot like overhyped rapper #1 addressing parental neglect with a Rose Royce sample. At one point, West gets a shoutout for his famous post-Katrina/anti-Bush statement, but the superstar's influence is only one in a jumble of many that also includes Gil Scott-Heron, Carl Hancock Rux, 2Pac, and Biggie, but winds up sounding uniquely Black Ice. His delivery could be the textbook example of how to lay poems over hardcore rap beats from here on out, and his writing is riveting and remarkably sharp, providing meaningful, eye-level views of hope and despair. Greene and Ice have brilliantly arced the album to punch the listener in the gut with urgency and then slowly weave in the poet/rapper's heart, soul, and personal struggle. Halfway through there's the convincing anthem for abstinence ("Takeyatime") that cops a bit of Slick Rick's "Hey Young World," and at the end of the album there's a sweet and moving tribute to Mom ("The Real"). Just like his influences, Ice offers much more than protest and rebellion, and while his heavy lyrics are perfect for heavy times, The Death of Willie Lynch suggests he's a versatile artist who would still be vital if every wrong was righted. When he declares, "I done prepared a substantial meal for y'all/And the blessings in the batter," it's the truth. ~ David Jeffries, All Music Guide

out now!

I've looked at the album but i haven't gotten it yet. I think i'll listen 2 it in a record store 2day. I'll definitly get it...it's a matter of how much i like it if i pick it up 2day or later. I think he's talented. I just did really catch the buzz when i saw him live 2 years ago.

damn i got too much stuff to catch up on. i think i wanna get this tomorrow. i still have to pick up FPOBA season 4, the roots, DMX, and now this! that should be good for $60 worth of stuff. problem is i only have $35 right now. does any1 in the US know if Black Ice's album is being carried by retail stores such as Target, Circuit City, Best Buy or any stores that might be cheaper than record shops?

Yeah there's a lot of stuff out right now that I'm looking into but I'm definately gonna look into this, sounds dope

i was a lil dissapointed. only 12 tracks and 48 minutes worth. also, the 3 best tracks off the album are on his myspace. i was expecting the rest of the album to be at the level or above the level of those tracks, but they all seemed below that level. still a good album compared to other stuff out there, and hopefully it'll grow on me.

another thing i noticed, sometimes it seems like he's not quite flowing to the beat of the track, i dont know if that has anything to do with him being used to spoken word poetry or what. hopefully he keeps goin with his rappin and continues to improve himself in the future

i dont know if any of you read the thank-you's on ice's album, but check this out:

"Jeff, The Magnificent DJ Jazzy Jeff!!!! Townes.... what would we be without you paving the way? Thanks for the guidance and friendship... IT'S JAZZY JAZZY!!!"

Yeah that was kinda cool... it obviously is in reference to "the magnificent jazzy jeff" so black ice is a JJFP fan... :switch: