JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Black Ice

• Admin

KOCH Records to Release Debut Album by Prolific Artist Black Ice, 'The Death of Willie Lynch,' on September 5th, 2006

NEW YORK, NY (KOCH Records) - KOCH Records is thrilled to announce the release of "The Death of Willie Lynch," the debut album by renowned poet Black Ice. The album hits streets on September 5th, 2006 and features artists Musiq Soulchild, Natalie Stewart of Floetry, Vee and Chyna Black.

Black Ice earned his respect as one of the premiere wordsmiths on Russell Simmons' "Def Poetry Jam." Known across the nation as one of the most gifted poets of his generation, Ice has moved crowds to the depths of their deepest emotion with his special brand of spoken word. This fall, KOCH Records and world famous DJ Jazzy Jeff are proud to present Black Ice in a light you have never seen him in before. "The Death of Willie Lynch" showcases his skills with wordplay over 12 tracks. In an unusual move in today's multi-producer projects, Black Ice opted to create "The Death Of Willie Lynch" with one producer, Eric Greene Jr., a phenomenal young producer who has been blazing a trail of his own. A drummer at heart, Eric has kept a steady tempo of rising notoriety, touring with multi-platinum recording artists Jill Scott, Floetry, and Pharrell. In a very organic manner, Black Ice and Eric have combined to revive the notion of the Hip-Hop concept album. "The Death of Willie Lynch" is as thoroughly entertaining as it is socially relevant.

At the personal request of superstar singer Mary J. Blige, Black Ice joins her for The Breakthrough Tour scheduled for more than 30 venues nationwide this summer.

Black Ice has lent his genius to the Live 8 concert in Philadelphia, and has made feature TV appearances on BET ("Live 8 Concert Special," "Rap City The Basement" and "106th & Park") and NBC ("Showtime at the Apollo"), in addition to starring in five consecutive seasons of HBO's "Def Poetry Jam." The New York Post has rated his live performance "diamond brilliant". He was cast as a lead member in Def Poetry on Broadway, which went on to win the 2003 Tony Award for Best Special Theatrical Event. Black Ice's talents are also showcased on releases by Pete Rock, Method Man and Fabolous.

In addition to releasing his album, "The Death of Willie Lynch," Black Ice has just completed the "Hoodwatch Movement Mixtape Volume I." He also plans on releasing a book of his prayers, entitled "Me & God," a five year chronicle of Black Ice's journal writings.

The tracklisting for "The Death of Willie Lynch" is:

1. The Path

2. The Ugly Show

3. A Dream Transferred

4. Find My Way Home

5. Lone Soldier feat. Chyna Black

6. takeyatime feat. Musiq

7. Nice2MeetU feat. Vee

8. Hoodwatch!!

9. Front Page

10. Rain, Hail, Sleet or Snow feat. H. Hill

11. The Real

12. SHINE feat. Natalie Stewart of Floetry

------------

this album is incredible..its gonna be huge!!!

The article says the whole album waz done with one producer....Eric Greene Jr. The guests on this album are dope...but i'm kinda hesitant. I don't like poets who cuss a whole lot...it just takes away from everything if u ask me. When i saw Black Ice live (with Musiq and Chyna Black) in the summer of 2004, he had undeniable skillz, but he just cussed 2 much 4 me 2 really hold on 2 what he waz saying. But if Jeff's in his corner, there's no doubt i'll check out the album.

I may have to check this one out, Black Ice is my favorite "def poet", I also got to see him live about two years ago when Def poetry Jam came to Chicago. As a writer and a "poet" it was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced, I just love his flow and his lyrical content, he kinda puts me in the mind of Tupac sometimes.

Him and Jeff together? Yeah I might have to check this one out lol

i havent heard of this guy but he sounds dope. i liked Saul Williams' stuff when he rapped in Slam and he's a poet so i'll be checkin into this further for sure.

and i gotta agree with AJ that as a poet you're trying to convey a clear message to the audience, and when u use a lot of cussing it makes that image blurry and sloppy in my opinion.

• Admin

he doesnt swear a lot on this album... wes you'll love it it has a very dead prez feel to it mixed with gil scott heron.. he has tracks about his daughter, hurricane katrina, his mother, a places & spaces cover, the track about young girls and boys with musiq is awesome.. I can just see this album spreading by word of mouth like the 1st jill scott record and blowin up!

wow im impressed. i knew he would be able to write but i didnt know if he would be able to flow since hes a poet but he is impressive. im really excited about all these new and upcoming artists that have skills like rhymefest, lupe fiasco, and now black ice. i hope this record will be available in my local shops, since this is his first album and its an underground release.