JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

DMX "Year Of The Dog...Again", August 1st Release

bigted

I'll agree that Ja isn't a carbon copy of DMX...but i think alot of his early stuff waz bit from DMX's style. When i think of Ja-Rule, i don't think of someone who creates their music or has much control over anything. I see him as someone who just copies what other's do. In fact, the song that got Ja-Rule really popular totally jacked DMX's signature saying how God may not come when u call, but he's always on time. That waz the most obivous lyric jack ever.

All in all, i just think Ja-Rule is awful. The only thing he has going 4 him is a well-produced track here and there.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well DMX is definately more consistant than Ja Rule but Ja Rule does definately have some dope moments in between, he's not as wack as you think he is, btw there was supposed to be a collab album between DMX, Ja, and Jigga in the late '90s produced by Irv Gotti but they never got a chance to do it, that'd be interesting though 'cause they were all on top of their games then...

Edited by bigted

Yeah quite a bit of collab albums never seem to happen, KRS said a few years ago that he wanted to do an album with Slick Rick as soon as he got out of prison and bringin' Doug E. Fresh to beatbox but there's never been any news on that since Slick Rick got out of prison, btw I should've known that this thread would turn into a X vs. Ja thread as soon as AJ mentioned that Ja raps like X's 15 year old sister, I only care about knowin' any more info bout that track on the bonus DVD, if anybody got info on that it'd be appreciated...

Edited by bigted

i dont think you would like it Lerkot. his hit single "Lord Give Me A Sign" is a song all about God and how he needs him. the general DMX style is real ruff, rugged - probably what you would call gangsta. if you think Ice Cube and Eazy-E are/were wacK (VH1 hip hop honors thread) then you probably wouldnt like this. but if you can download it somehow, do so and check it out cuz it cant hurt. i will be picking this album up sometime in the near future after i get my next paycheck.

Yeah that track might be one of the top 5 tracks on the album if it actually made it, really deep song...

Edited by bigted

I noticed in a thread on allhiphop.com it mentions that this album is debuting #1, it makes it all 6 of his albums have done it now, nice to see a true mc like this get this kinda accolade, I'm sure Jay probably wished he kept him on Def Jam now, lol:

DMX Continues to make History! Debuts at #1 for the SIXTH TIME in a row

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=288751

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 DMX SONY URBAN/COLUMBIA/CRG 129,881 --

YEAR OF THE DOG...AGAIN

Edited by bigted

Jay didnt send DMX away. Dmx explained it all in the interview in The Source. DMX left caus he and Jigga are homies, and he didnt want his freind to be his boss. Some of ya`ll have debats all the time about things that allready got cleared up in The Source,lol. This happened quit allot. It`s amusing.

Is great that he came in on 1 tho.

Edited by Turntable

On the real tho'...i'll just say what i said on the Method Man post...Jay-Z is killing Def Jam. When u think of the ideal Hip-Hop label...u think Def Jam. Legends like LL Cool J, Public Enemy and Slick Rick made their name there. U also think of all the artists who were under the Rush name...like JJ+FP. When i think of the 90's...i think of LL, Slick Rick, Method Man, Warren G, Foxy Brown, Def Squad, DMX, Onyx, etc. Now look at Def Jam. When it comes 2 Hip-Hop, they've lost or are in the process of losing the only things that make the label what it was. Jay-Z is killing it. Without Russell Simmons, there is no Def Jam....PERIOD.

No X ain't cool with Jay, there's no friendship anymore, he said that on the bonus DVD you'd see if you got the album, his frustration with Def Jam was the reason why he was consider quitting the rap game, it wasn't fun for him anymore, Jay went on vacation in Miami when he was supposed to arrange X's video to come out last year... Now we see what he's doing to Method Man and The Roots, where are their videos, I mean don't they have albums out this month? With that kinda poor promo nobody's gonna be aware that real artists are about to drop albums and they're gonna flop, I hope this don't happen to Nas either... Jay spends too much time promoting wack mcs like Young Jeezy(Young Cheezy as DMX calls him, lol) and Rick Ross while real mcs like Redman and Method Man are tossed to the side like I said earlier in this thread and since he really wants 50 to do more albums, he's probably the one that's forcing LL to do an album with him but what can you say he's a hustler, he only cares about what's gonna make the most money, he knows that garbage sells and real stuff don't right now so he's just going where the money is, that's why not much quality is released on Def Jam anymore...

Edited by bigted

I got the album but my DVD player is broke. Damn tho, DMx is changing his mood fast. That interview was only one month ago.

Ya`ll are kinda right about Jay-Z and Def Jam. He only seems to promote what makes big money right now. Of the great ones, only LL had a decent promo. Ghostface had to do it by himself, and so will Meth & Red do it. Also Juelz Santana didnt get any pomo. I allways said that Jigga us turning this into a R&B Label, caus those acts get promo now (He ****ed upped 112 tho). With conditions like that, I dont think guys like Method Man, Redman, Juelz, LL and them are gonna stay (LL allready said he`s done with Def Jam after his next alum). Jigga allready did scare acts like DMX, and the whole Murda Inc. squad away. I dont think it will take long till some more will leave the sinking Jigga ship.

Edited by Turntable

I got Dmx album yesterday... The first time I listened to it, I didn't like.. Dmx is still great but the production of these new albums seems to have no differences.. there are few good beats, but It sounds very boring to me.. I don't like the new sound of hip hop, the best album I listened this year was Tood smith which has great beats. I don't like the sound of this new hip hop, I think I 'll buy many old albums in the future