JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

New JJFP?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even it only does "Code Red" numbers I wouldn't mind, these days with downloading not many albums in rap music and pop music in general go gold, even pop singers like Nick Lachey and Pink struggle to sell that much and even wack rapper #1's group members ain't even going gold, but sales ain't the most important thing here, the main thing would be that it comes out and it's a great album to listen to that'll help JJFP have that street credability, I'd rather see JJFP listed among the all time rap groups among rap fanatics rather than seeing them go diamond...

Edited by bigted

I waz surprised back in the day when Code Red didn't commerically do much more than "Boom! Shake The Room." But at the same time, gangsta rap waz so huge at the time and "new" 2 the mainstream...so it's easy 2 justify and say the album got swallowed up in all the Dre and Snoop stuff at the time.

Things are even worse now. Commercially, pretty much ever artist sucks. True Hip-Hop rarely breaks out 2 get any real attention. And as far as JJ+FP is from crap like Lil' Jon, Young Joc, and D4L, i can easily see how JJ+FP would actually do very good. After the solo projects, FPofBA, movies, and so on...JJ+FP has a wide fanbase even bigger than b4. I mean, after we were surprised that "Switch" got as huge as it did, i wouldn't be surprised if a JJ+FP easily hit platnium. Lost + Found waz a good step-stool back 2 at least 1 hit single from the JJ+FP movement each time around.

Well Will's popularity increased since the last official Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince album but I don't know about Jazzy Jeff, the average commercial fan doesn't really know who he is, I mean didn't "The Magnificent" sell even less than "Born To Reign" did? Maybe there'll be enough fans who bought "Lost and Found" that'll go out and buy this album for it to go gold, and like I said earlier if it goes gold it'd be enough to show that JJFP is still commercially relevant 'cause even pop artists struggle to gold now, even Michael Jackson's next album might be a struggle to platinum, it's hard to be relevant in the music industry for such a long time 2 decades after releasing your first album, but the only way I'll see them sell millions is if they work with watered down pop artists or add a hot girl to the group who can't sing like Black Eyed Peas did, lol, that's why I don't even care about how much it sells 'cause not many real artists sell millions now, I don't want to see JJFP sell out or dumb down to it either, so I don't think a rap duo that hasn't released an offical album in over a decade is gonna do millions anymore when there's some real artists that release albums every year that can't do it...

Really the main point here as well is that fans ain't really that loyal either, you can't live off of the past to expect it to be the same way now, not really that many who bought "Homebase" are gonna be around to buy this album either, they all jumped the ship when "Code Red" came out so truely how many of them over a decade later are gonna come back to buy this album? But the major question to me is would a major label even be willing to release a JJFP album with no major guest appearances? In this day and age every album has to have guests on at least half of the tracks it seems, most likely it'll be the same **** that LL is facing right now where they won't release his albums unless he works with all the pop superstars out now, he might be the most successful rapper from the ol' school era but he surely ain't really the most credible in doing this, the label might force them to work with wack rapper #1, wack rapper #2, overhyped rapper #1 and a bunch of pop chicks that can't sing, I think basically that's the reason why Jazzy Jeff don't want to **** with major labels anymore, Columbia wanted him to dumb down but he didn't so the album never came out, I really don't see it that much different now... The best thing would be for them to form a Overbrook/Touch Of Jazz partnership and distribute the album through an independent like Koch to have creative freedom 'cause we know that basically the only reason why Interscope allowed "Lost and Found" to come out was 'cause of the "something for wack rapper #2" thing and they weren't willing to release "Tell Me Why" 'cause they thought it was too political, these major labels only want to put out watered down ****, I mean "Willenium" never got the recognition it deserved from hip-hop heads 'cause those weak tracks like "Freakin' It" and "Will2K" were the only singles that Columbia was willing to release, by the time Will released "So Fresh" himself the hype from the album died down already so the real hip-hop heads didn't noticed, they never got a chance to check the real tracks on the album like "Pump Me Up" and "Potnas", they figured it was another pop rap album like "Big Willie Style" and they wrote off checking it out... I want to see JJFP do their thing and release real hip-hop tracks to improve credability, not dumb down for a pop audience...

Edited by bigted

If this does happen i want the album to be titled ''DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince'' and not ''Will Smith'' and then in tiny letters at the bottom right hand corner of the album cover ''Feat Jeff Townes''

My thoughts exactly but really that's probably the only way it could marketed and more than likely the major label will probably try to tie it to one of Will's movies which wouldn't help Will's cred as an mc, Will needs to take a break from movies and focus on the return of JJFP if he really wants rap heads to mention his name among the all time mcs...

Edited by bigted

If this does happen i want the album to be titled ''DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince'' and not ''Will Smith'' and then in tiny letters at the bottom right hand corner of the album cover ''Feat Jeff Townes''

Will needs to take a break from movies and focus on the return of JJFP if he really wants rap heads to mention his name among the all time mcs...

You are damn right!!!!! :smart:

I don't think JJ+FP would do an album without making it a JJ+FP...none of that featuring crap.

if their doing this then is gonna be jjfp and not will smith....or it could end up like willennium and be a will smith cd but on the disc it says produced by dj jazzy jeff and the fresh prince

They would have to put Will Smith and Jazzy jeff on the cover. If they put fresh prince people would think it was about fpoba or something. Its all about marketing and Wills name helps sales.

anyway dont all get excited with these ideas, coz u know your all gonna be mad when it doesnt happen lol. How many times have we read statements like these. Theres a chance it might happen coz they keep saying it over and over, but i bet we hear, "Will is too busy" in a few months. Sorry im being negative lol.

Well really if it's called Will Smith featuring Jazzy Jeff or DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince or how much it will or won't sell ain't really that major of a deal in the scheme of things, the most important thing is that a quality album'll from them get released within the next year or so...

Well really if it's called Will Smith featuring Jazzy Jeff or DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince or how much it will or won't sell ain't really that major of a deal in the scheme of things, the most important thing is that a quality album'll from them get released within the next year or so...

Thats very true, it is all about the quality of music, but I would be disappointed if their names on the album cover wasn't DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince.