JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

JJFP/Big Will mentioned in Source's 200th issue

Well looks like since "Lost and Found" came out we've been seeing JJFP/Big Will getting more credit from the hip-hop media than ever before: "When you talk about rap you better start saying my name", although they gave Lil' Kim's album more mics than "Lost and Found" last year and they mention her instead of Will for 2005 since I guess going to jail now has more influence than putting out great albums but still if this list was made during the "Born To Reign" time I have doubt that they'd mention Will in 1997 at least, maybe not even JJFP in '88, Will needs to keep the ball rolling and release more albums and then we'll see the recognition for him grow even further... btw the worst rappers from the '80s/early '90s are better than most rappers now, looks like on the most part though they just name who's the most popular rappers of that time, it shows you that really less talent sells now than back then, skills'd sell then and if you didn't have much you wouldn't stay on top but now it's about who got the best promotional team and who gets shot and goes to jail the most where a lot of the great talent gets slept on

Edited by bigted

It's just unfortunate how all these weak rappers get so much publicity from the media and the fans buy into them like sheep, the fans need to step up and not except everything the radio feeds them, they deserve a lot of the blame, they ignore the great rappers, and of course the media don't give much shine to the great rappers anymore... btw speaking of album ratings we all know that "Lost and Found" got 3 mics from The Source but I'm curious to know how many mics did Big Willie Style get? Willenium? Code Red? Homebase? etc?, do you have any idea AJ since you're like the human hip-hop encyclopedia on here so I figure you might know...

Edited by bigted

Lost and Found was an amazing album, it should have got him on the 2005 list for sure, especially in comparison to who else made it, there should be no question about it...

Yeah "Lost and Found" deserved to help Will make it but it didn't impact thanks to Interscope, if they released more than one single in 5 months maybe Will could've made it on the top 10, maybe even top 5...

Exactly.

1) overhyped rapper #1

2) wack rapper #1

3) The Game

4) Mike Jones

5) Young Jeezy

6) Ying Yang Twins

7) Paul Wall

8) Bun B

9) Three 6 Mafia

10) Lil Kim

If it was about quality,Lil Kim would be above Three 6 Mafia and them caus The Source gave her album 5 Mics. They realy just look on the impact. I dont get where the Black Eyed Peas are tho. Nobody seems to recognies them.

Yeah Black Eyed Peas sold more albums than Ying Yang Twins and Three 6 Mafia combined, Will.I.Am's also been involved producing for John Legend, Mary J., and Busta, there's impact being made...

Edited by bigted

I'm glad JJFP & Will are mentioned. At least they getting some feedback. :wiggle:

How is wack rapper #1 even on the list? All he just does is talk about bad stuff :shakehead:

Edited by Trey

Well it's the sign of the times, 50 has influenced a lot of garbage to be played on the radio, if Will was #1 or one of the top 5 to influence then that means that a lot of great music would get played on the radio, when Will when was on top in '97 with "Big Willie Style" it was one of the last great years in commercial hip-hop, and with 50 being on top from 2002- now it marks the worst years in hip-hop, Interscope sees that they make more money off garbage than quality so that's why they promoted 50 much more than Will last year, hype sells more in the music industry than good music does, these days getting shot 9 times gets you more airplay than putting out a great album...

Edited by bigted

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with Tim on '93. Influential, what all goes into that? Obviously, selling is one for sure. It's either really big numbers or considerably impressive. I imagine that's one point they looked at. Had to if you look at these lists. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, about the list progressively getting worse. It would've been nice to see their Top 10 from 1987 and back.