JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Snoop and Game co-signing Tyrese's rap attempt

bigted

Snoop Dogg and The Game Co-sign on Tyrese Rapping

By: Mark Lelinwalla

July 13, 2006

Snoop Dogg, The Game and Method Man are publicly co-signing on the skills of Tyrese’s rapping alter-ego Black-Ty.

While Tyrese continues to prep his double album Alter Ego for a fall release, established and wildly successful MCs are co-signing on the rhyming ability of his alter ego Black-Ty.

“He’s really got it cracking to the point where he didn’t seem like he was out of his range. It seemed like something that he was naturally born to do,” said Snoop Dogg in a press release statement about Tyrese’s rhyming ability. “That’s when I welcomed him to the game, being the king of the West, you know what I’m saying? He got my blessing as far as from the rap style of it, the rap side of it. This is one of the best albums I’ve ever heard. Anybody who ain’t behind it, come see me.”

Method Man, on the other hand, wasn’t expecting much upon first hearing about Tyrese rapping. However, he admits to being taken aback by the crooner’s rhyming above average rhyme skills.

“I was pleasantly surprised I must say. I did not know that Tyrese could rhyme so well but I should have known better,” Meth said via a statement. “I am not just saying that because he’s the homie. His swagger is crazy. Everyone should give him a second look on this rap tip.”

Meanwhile, if there’s anyone who really understands what Tyrese is attempting to do with Black-Ty, it’s perhaps The Game.

Print

Email

Comment The Game co-starred with Tyrese in the Rogue Pictures/Focus Features film Waist Deep and got to hear Ty’s mic skills. Game is a featured guest on Tyrese’s upcoming fall album.

“Tyrese is a good friend of mine and he has my support in whatever it is he wants to do,” The Game said. “He's been successful on every scale from singing to acting, so what would make anybody think that he couldn't do rap? I heard some Tyrese sh** and it's crazy.”

Tyrese has enlisted Chris Lighty to direct Black-Ty’s movement through hip hop. Lighty’s management credits include working with 50 Cent, Busta Rhymes and Missy Elliot.

Alter Ego, a double album with an R&B disc and hip hop disc, will be released on J Records

Tyrese is one of those artists that truely came out of the gutter. And even tho' his break came from singing on that Coke commerical, he spit a rap on his very 1st single. I can't say i'm looking forward 2 the Rap side of the disc that much but he can hold his own. What i'm really dying 4 his the R-N-B disc. Since he's consistently stepped it up with each album and broke in2 a big movie career....i'm just happy 2 hear a new album is coming out.

If Tyrese could rap half as good as he could sing it'd be such an added bonus, he's one of the top and hard working entertainers as it is, I've got most of his albums and movies....

Hopefully he really as good as they say he is, I hope he doesn't make a fool of himself...

Tyrese is gonna have to really suck to be an embarassment considering how many wack mcs are out

Here's another article I found that has more details:

Tyrese Gives In To Rap Passion, Plans To 'Change The World' With Double LP

'It's a passion of mine,' he says. 'I'm not doing it to be the biggest name in hip-hop.'

by Coral Schneider, with additional reporting by Corey Moss

There's a Black Ty event this fall and everyone is invited.

Like many music stars before him — David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust, wack rapper #2 as Slim Shady, Garth Brooks as Chris Gaines, etc. — R&B model-turned-singer-turned-actor Tyrese

is introducing an alter ego to go along with his latest turn as a rapper.

The project, fittingly titled Alter Ego and due this fall, will feature both Tyrese and Black Ty doing their things on separate discs (see "Tyrese, With Help From Snoop And Game, To Unveil Rapping Alter Ego").

And both personas will release simultaneous singles — tracks yet to be determined — to kick off the double album.

"I'm going to have my R&B video have about 20 seconds of the hip-hop song, and the hip-hop video will have 20 seconds of the R&B song," Tyrese said at last month's BET Awards. "I'm going to have two different covers, shoot two different videos and just change the world up."

The hip-hop album will feature a number of collaborators, including Snoop Dogg, Game, Chingy, David Banner, Mannie Fresh, Paul Wall, Ice Cube and Kurupt.

"Everybody and their mama's on the album," Tyrese said. "I got the whole hip-hop gang behind me. They've all embraced me."

Now he just needs his fans to embrace him, and he's hopeful that they will.

"It's one of them things where once again, I'm making a transition from one world to the other," he said. "I line myself up with the right folks, and they get behind me. Now it's about the fans hearing it and being exposed to it and feeling good about it.

"A new R&B album is exciting, but not as exciting as the buzz that's out about this hip-hop album," he continued. "I ain't trying to force this rap thing on nobody. I love it. It's a passion of mine. I'm not doing it to be the biggest name in hip-hop."

Along with his R&B and hip-hop projects, Tyrese continues to make his mark in the film industry. After the release of his summer drama "Waist Deep," he started production on the much anticipated live-action "Transformers" film, based on the popular Hasbro toy. The action movie, directed by Michael Bay ("Pearl Harbor," "Armageddon"), is set for release in July 2007.

Also in the works are plans to act opposite his "Waist Deep" co-star Meagan Good, who is developing a collaboration for the two — a project similar to the supermodel biopic "Gia," but about a music-video model.

"We gotta do another one," Tyrese said of working with Good. "The chemistry was unreal. There's no need for me to do a movie with another leading lady. This is it right here for me."

This report is provided by MTV News