JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What happened with Code Red?

From reading material online and stuff, it seems like "Boom! Shake the Room" was a hit song here in the US. Jive put out tons of promotion for Code Red released 5 singles yet the album barely sold anything. How come? I've heard Boom! Shake the Room made some people falloff since it wasn't like "Summertime" was. I can see that, and that they arent true fans. "I'm Looking for the One(to be with me)" I think flopped and so did "I Wanna Rock". I dont know, but thinking bout it now, the 2nd single I would've released is "Just Kickin' It". That song is a bit lighter, and kinda is like "Summertime". Then I would've released "Somethin' Like Dis" or "I'm Looking for the One". Did people overall just lose interest or did the album come out at the wrong time, or was JJFP "hidden" because of the new gangsta rap? I read reviews about "Code Red" and nobody takes JJFP seriously on this one. They just label it as their "last album" and it was a disappointmnet. Now I wasn't a fan back in '93-'94 but what was the story with it?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I think it was all cause of gangsta rap. Like Will is saying it in "im looking for th one": "93, everybody wants to be a gangsta pop pop pop pop, and no more thanks to me"
I think at that time there were a lot of Will haters, i think...but i don't really know. I was 6 years old at that time :roll:
i think "Codered" is one of their best albums, may be the best.
...its so sad about Wills image as rapper. many kids here in germany who are interested in hiphop say that Will is just a good and talented actor. They say he should only do movies cause hes wack and has no skills, no style, bad flow...
I mean these people only have heard miami or wild wild west, mib in their live.
they're talking about somehing they're not informed enough about... :bang:

oh yeah, i think i have my "bad english day" today :bowrofl:

jjfp rocks the house

I don't think people that hate on Code Red have only listened 2 "Miami", "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" and so on, cuz if they've heard Code Red, that means they've had a taste of JJ+FP and appreciate their music as well as Will's. But these people could be dissing it cuz JJ+FP tried something new and matured their music...and some just don't like that change.

U gotta admit, Code Red ain't the lightest, funniest JJ+FP album out. They've matured with that album and it shows thru' every track. Now I don't know which people were dissing the album, but some of the fans of albums like And In This Corner... I've read online were disappointed in Code Red cuz they weren't ready 4 anything new, and the album threw them off. It's my favorite, but others must have different tastes and appreciate the older JJ+FP style more.

Yeah i know, and for me thats a fact. but all the lil wannabe gangsta kids here in germany don't like Will as rapper. They don't even know his old records. may be summertime or boom! but nothing of his really deep sogs or battle rhyming trax... its the way hiphop goes right here. you have 50 cent, lil john, usher and the rest. and they're the best of best...
I mean Will deserves a lil bit more respect... he did a lot for hiphop. it makes me angry to read stupid and false things on german hiphop forums...
i don't know anything about the state of Wills image as rapper outside of germany, but the ppl here aren't informed about Will as Rapper. they hear eminem and d12 and all that stuff. and when you ask them how they think about Will, they say "Will Smith is a bitch" or "Will is a softy" "Wannabe Gangsta Rapper". And why??? because Will is not representing the person they want to. or because eminem dissed him...

jjfp rocks the house

Will isn't a rapper in Italy. people know him as actor and the only songs they have listened to..gettin' jiggy, miami...party songs. But I have to say that I have code red and and my friends usually listen to it, and they love I WANNA ROCK!! And I'm very happy to see they don't like will only because they've never listened to his true hip hop! Code red is simply perfect, no dubt.It's one of the best hip hop album os all times,and I don't care it didn't sell milions.. I love it and that's all!!!!!!! :thumb:

yeah thats what i'm saying!!
Some of my friends had listened to "Rock the House" from their first album and they went crazy. they liked the song and they're listening to it every day. Thats so incredible. they like Wills old records. Another cool trck is "Girls aint nothin but trouble". Just the sample from "i dream of jeannie" is so amazing. my friends like Will as actor and rapper. i wish everybody here in germany would think so :(

jjfp rocks the house

• Admin
code red is my fav jjfp record..the production is flawless (pete rock/teddy riley/dallas austin/jazzy jeff) and the traxs mix the ol skool with the new.. it sort of depends what jjfp sound u like though...