JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What happened with Code Red?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
naa man.. he just given his delivery more of a force..but what he raps about is just the same.. the actual track "code red" is like a 93 version of a classic fp track like girls or sumthin.. its perfect

"Boom! Shake The Room" waz a standard hit in the US, but it waz huge all over the world. "I'm Looking For The One (To Be With Me)" waz never supported by TV or radio and neither waz "I Wanna Rock." JJ+FP did spots on TV (interviews and performances) but it never seemed 2 be enuff. The media waz so caught up with Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Ice Cube and so on that they didn't give straight Hip-Hop a fair chance. "Twinkle Twinkle" and "Can't Wait To Be With You" were released overseas but i don't think any of the other singles generated any following overseas.

I think Code Red is right their on the level of Homebase and He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper. It's JJ+FP for the mid-90's. It's JJ+FP at their most relaxed. They had the party joint (Boom!), the feel good joint (I'm Looking For The One), the DJ/rapper cut (I Wanna Rock), the story-telling song (Code Red) and the rest of just JJ+FP of the time.

Will himself says the album didn't do so well cuz he wazn't lyrically as confident as he waz on past albums (probably due 2 the rise of gangsta rap, wondering if he waz relevant anymore) which produced a weak run 4 the album.

• Members
lyricly i think code red isone of the bst jjfp album

"Every young rapper trying to get you to jump
But when you're all done jumpin'
I'ma get you what you really want"

"Heads are boppin' hard and fast
And now I'm getting' sued 'cause my groove caused whiplash"

"everybody want to be a gangsta
Pup pup pup pup but no more thanks to me
You got something you can flip on the other tip.
As you get lost in the smooth rhymes I rip
Years and years my peers misunderstood, that I make cuts from my guts to make you feel good"

(and the entire song code red is just so funny)

and his flow is great to on most records.

and its just amazing when he says: the F-L-Y guy (echo echo) Edited by Daedalus Mortality

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Aug 5 2004, 10:51 AM]Will himself says the album didn't do so well cuz he wazn't lyrically as confident as he waz on past albums (probably due 2 the rise of gangsta rap, wondering if he waz relevant anymore) which produced a weak run 4 the album.[/quote]
Whoa! When did Will say that? Does Tim got the interview? I would like to read that interview. FP sounded really confident and so did Jeff....They were on their game and they completely rip it!

I 4get where the interview waz from but i KNOW i read it (and didn't hear it or watch it on TV). I think Code Red SOUNDS likes his most confident stuff...but inside his head i guess he waz just wondering if he could keep doing this.

I don't think his voice had anything 2 do with. For the past 4 years (at that point) it waz lower. I think the fact that flash-in-the-pan gangsta rap artists were getting all the attention waz the main problem (just like with And In This Corner...). On top of that, people didn't see JJ+FP in their face musically as much as they used 2. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air had been on the air 4 so long and Will's acting started taking off so that makes some people find it hard 2 accept his skillz in music. Imagin if Code Red waz huge tho'...it would have probably kept alot of trash from getting record deals and we people would have had a great mid-90's album from them around 1996.

Code Red could've easily gonna double P if released at the right time. Maybe if it was released earlier in '93 it woulda made a splash. It's a shame how nobody really knows bout that album, yeah some people know about "Boom!" but why couldn't it be the album to change hip-hop into the good direction unlike "The Chronic". Maybe if Code Red was a huge album, then people like Kid N Play wouldn't have disappeared so easily.

The past is over now, not all great albums go double platinum, look at "Illmatic", it barely went gold when it dropped but is considered Nas' best album even though his other albums went multiplatinum since. :werd: Edited by bigted

[quote=Daedalus Mortality,Aug 6 2004, 08:48 PM]he really just uses his voice like that becouse in [i] I wanna rock[/i] he uses his normal voice.[/quote]
I like the fact that FP switched up his flow a lil' bit on Code Red. Not ever song calls 4 the same flow. Imagin FP using his normal energetic voice and flow on "Just Kickin' It"...it just wouldn't make sense.