JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Eminem Is Coming Back

Turntable

That's a great quote there, as long as I'm alive hip-hop's gonna be alive too, the thing I believe like I said earlier is if people focus less on how weak certain rappers are and give more attention to the great rappers then I think hip-hop could be on the highest level it's ever been, all of the people who complain about how wack Eminem's been lately need to look into other rappers

Edited by bigted

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kid 'N' Play, Vanilla Ice, Hammer>>>>Everything Eminem did in the last 5 years but now to the point of talking about rap dying no rapper could kill rap no matter how much wack music you think that rapper puts out since there's always other rappers out there that you could listen to if you don't like that rapper, there's one thing to not like to listen to a certain rapper but to blame them for killing rap is being a hater, Eminem's music has sucked lately but there's still other rappers that came out in the last 5 years that I enjoy listening to so Eminem hasn't killed rap since he's only one out of many rappers in the game, he's only one person, one person don't make up the entire rap game, now if Eminem was the only rapper on the planet I'd probably find another genre to listen to as my favorite, lol, the way I see it rap only dies if fans lose interest in it and record labels start promoting other music genres more or suddenly you get banned from playing rap, lol

Exactly. I dont think he kills it al even tho we hames wack stuff. He brought allot of kids to Hip Hop, and allot of the younger kids on here too are part of that group. Sooner or later thyr gonna jump over to better stuff anway.

Whoa, i can't agree with the statement that sales equal talent and good music. Nelly, Ja-Rule, 50 Cent + G-Unit, Lil' Jon, J-Kwon, Ying Yang Twinz, and alot of other artists have sold millions and they have no talent and their music is awful. It's been this way 4 awhile.

Whoa, i can't agree with the statement that sales equal talent and good music. Nelly, Ja-Rule, 50 Cent + G-Unit, Lil' Jon, J-Kwon, Ying Yang Twinz, and alot of other artists have sold millions and they have no talent and their music is awful. It's been this way 4 awhile.

:word:

If they would have no talent they wouldnt have got signed. Allot of them make bad music mostly but they all have talent. And there have been times they showed it.

I mean you like Nitty, Nick Cannon etc. Thats just as doubtfull, caus I`m 100% shure a guy like Jadakiss, Ja Rule would rip them to pieces in a Battle.

Edited by Turntable

I'll listen to any Ja Rule CD or early G-Unit over Nick Cannon and Nitty anyday,

Nick Cannon and Nitty are wack mcs but yet they never went platinum either which shows you that there's

wack mcs that sell and there's wack mcs that don't sell, there's also some people that act like everything that ain't getting heavy airplay or ain't going platinum is considered dope and everything that's mainstream is wack, that's a myth too, there's as many if not more mcs that don't sell that're wack as there is wack mcs that sell, I mean some of these internet rappers make Vanilla Ice and Eminemsound like Rakim and Chuck D lol, there's actually a reason why some never blow up, anyways

a wack mc is a wack mc though, talent has nothing to do with sales, even if Will sold 30 million or 3,000

albums in his career he's still talented,

and it ain't like the Black Eyed Peas are the best group 'cause they're selling millions right now either, they're just as wack as Eminem is right now, "My Humps" is as horrible as "Ass Like That" in my book, that ain't quality music

I'll listen to any Ja Rule CD or early G-Unit over Nick Cannon and Nitty anyday,

Nick Cannon and Nitty are wack mcs but yet they never went platinum either which shows you that there's

wack mcs that sell and there's wack mcs that don't sell, there's also some people that act like everything that ain't getting heavy airplay or ain't going platinum is considered dope and everything that's mainstream is wack, that's a myth too, there's as many if not more mcs that don't sell that're wack as there is wack mcs that sell, I mean some of these internet rappers make Vanilla Ice and Eminemsound like Rakim and Chuck D lol, there's actually a reason why some never blow up, anyways

a wack mc is a wack mc though, talent has nothing to do with sales, even if Will sold 30 million or 3,000

albums in his career he's still talented,

and it ain't like the Black Eyed Peas are the best group 'cause they're selling millions right now either, they're just as wack as Eminem is right now, "My Humps" is as horrible as "Ass Like That" in my book, that ain't quality music

:word:

I found this on Allhiphop.com and basically it goes online with everything I'm saying on the most part, record sales don't mean **** about talent, it ain't just now either, it's always been that way even in the golden era, talent hasn't really reflected over on record sales on the most part. A lot of the most talented artists in general not just rappers might not necessarily be the highest selling artists of all time and the highest selling artists might not be the most talented, hip-hop writer Bobbito said that in an interview that never was there a time where the dopest mc was the highest selling one, Kool Moe Dee gave LL Cool J the battle of his life even though he never went platinum, Kool G Rap debut wasn't a gold album like Canibus but he's more talent no question about it, Slick Rick is more lyrically gifted than Hammer too even though he never sold 10 million. Now even though Eminem and 50 Cent are the highest selling rappers of the moment there's a lot of others selling less that could test them on the mic, but they're not necessarily the worst either 'cause like I said there's wack rappers on the underground and sell less than them

too, in fact they had to work their way from the underground rankings and actually beat some of them in battles, I mean if you consider Eminem and 50 Cent the worst imagine how bad the rappers that they beat to get a record deal must sound like, lol, and of course Will helped Nick Cannon get his break in the industry so he has to have some talent for Will to spend time on him but still not enough to be close to Will's level, now who knows maybe there's nobody out there that's coming on the same level as Will, Rakim, or KRS, they're like one in a million, it's hard to duplicate that talent, that's like filling in the shoes of Jordan, Magic, and Bird...The problem is that fans in general focus too much emphasis on record sales rather than the quality of music that's why it's harder for the most talented artists to sell the most, it's like they'll defend weak music if they hear that it's sold a lot rather than judge the artist for what it is and see that they're wack and they'll ignore the talented artists just 'cause they're not popular, a lot of fans are sheep and they'll say something like this:

"You might say that the Black Eyed Peas are weak but they sold 5 million so that means they must be the best group in the game if everybody went out to buy them, man nobody listens to De La Soul anymore, they're played out and irrelevant, that was so 80s, keep up with the times man, Black Eyed Peas rock", if you listen to the music from groups like De La Soul and Lil' Brother you'll see that Black Eyed Peas don't come close to being the best, I'd also rather watch "House Party" over "8 Mile" anyday as well even though it might've not done the high box office numbers, and I think that people wait until an artist loses popularity to call them wack rather than say it when they're popular 'cause that's not politically correct to say that but I'll personally say it though, art is either good or not, f sales, that's why I didn't care how much "Lost and Found" sold when I was too busy enjoying it when it came out, anyways here's the article:

The Evils Of Soundscan Vol 1

Jerry Barrow

Ignorance is bliss. Back in the day when I tuned my rusty GPX radio into Mr. Magic's rap attack or Cool DJ Red Alert, I didn't know that Special Ed, Kool G Rap or UTFO didn't go platinum, nor did I care. I didn't know whether one of the most influential rap singles of all time "Top Billin" was platinum, I just knew that it sounded dope as hell in my orange foam headphones even before they invented Megabass. I had no clue that Brand Nubian's All For One didn't sell a lot of records, I just knew that Woolly Willy had a pair of my sneakers, but I didn't know where he got em cuz I hid 'em behind my speakers.

When we went to the parties, we didn't care about Slick Rick and Dougie Fresh's chart position, we just wanted to know who this funny nicka was with the British accent and where can I find some fly green socks.

MCs rhymed for two things: props and women. The fact that LL Cool J was selling millions didn't mean **** when Kool Moe Dee snapped "Jack the ripper, down with my zipper, you get paid to be a Moe Dee tipster." Receipts could not keep you from getting played on the mic. Ask Jay-Z.

Now, thanks to the Recording Industry of America and Soundscan, our entire criticism about an artist is reduced to their sales: "So and so is dope now cuz they went gold or platinum." ****, to me MC Lyte was a far better MC before she sold 500,000 copies of "Ruffneck". "Cram to Understand You" and "Paper Thin" were the two best songs of her career and I dare anyone to disagree with me. DMX, Jay-Z and Nas, three of the most celebrated MCs alive have all failed to match the brilliance of their freshman efforts, despite increasing their respective album sales.

Before this obsession with sales all we used to care about were the beats and the rhymes. A good artist could put out two or three albums before people started talking about falling off. These days, if that first album doesn't ship gold in a month folks are screaming for retirement.

Not to mention that a lot of trash gets certified nowadays, too. Remember Canibus and Cappadona's first albums are gold. While on the other hand, Kool G. Rap, who's demo could run circles around either of those albums, has not enjoyed gold status. What does that say about this almighty system of sweating artists who sell?

As fans, I think we were happier and more involved with the culture of hip-hop when sales and marketing weren't such a strong aspect of the music. All we needed was a radio commercial telling us where to get Fresh Fest tickets. Or a Billboard on the bodega telling us that Kane's album was about to drop. That's it. But as a business I even think the execs found it easier. It takes so much money to feed this "MTV-Radio-Payola" monster that they have helped create that an artist has to go gold just to break even. In the mid nineties music experienced such a huge growth spurt that labels started churning out artists to keep up with the cross-over demand for these "inner city kids and their boom box music." The videos got more elaborateand more expensive. Production got more elaborate"and expensive. (ie: The Trackmasters went from getting $500 to write and produce Finesse and Synquie's entire album to damn near six figures a track.) Plus, with so much product flooding the market, radio DJs commanded more under the table to squeeze in your joints. This invariably effected the length of a single because it's easier to squeeze in two 3-minute songs than one 5-minute song. Plus album track length doubled from 10 "tracks" to 20, (including skits) and this costs more also. Not to mention the increased mistakes made in track listings. Ask Ghostface.

Well, it's 2002 and we've seen quite a few labels go under (Tommy Boy, Loud, Jcor ) because they either mismanaged what few funds they had, or just couldn't compete with the juggernauts of the music world who have used their deep pockets and marketing muscle to scan big numbers, get radio spins and keep a headlock on the rap game.

I do appreciate the increased acceptance of hip-hop, but I miss the days when things were just a little bit simpler. All I needed back then was Video Music Box and "Old School Thursdays." I could have given a rats ass about whether Diamond D or Stetsasonic sold 2 or 2 million, all I knew is that Sally had a one track mind, and that some people didn't like the way she walked.

Edited by bigted