JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kanye West mentions JJFP

What beats in your opinion are hot in 2006, but got the wrong rapper over it or whatever? And yeah, I feel ya on the Kanye giving his beats to only the quality artists. Well, moreso than not. And to think just a few years ago, Kanye was one of the hungerest producers not yet on the mainstream.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they fresh to def, you like after def

im ressurecting my gold jesuses of nazareth

now we fresh as the prince while they jazzy jeff

some1 explain that :ponder:

It's kinda hard to tell with out hearing the whole song, or even knowing what it's about, but the jj/fp line sounds to me as a throw away line saying he's "fresh", kinda like "I'm fresh like will smith when he was part of the group jazzy jeff and the fresh prince" I could see how it could be a shot at will, saying he used to be good, but since he released as "Will Smith" he's not good anymore. But I more see it just as a minor play on words, stealing the word "fresh" from the name "fresh prince".

And, yet again, I go against the grain on who I like to listen to, but I dig on Kanye's music. His beats aren't as hot as JJ's or even Dre's back in the day, but they're pretty good. His lyrics aren't as deep as KRS or even as thought provoking as Chuck D, Tupac, or Ice Cube, but they're reasonable, exceptionally deep by todays standards. Every now and then I'll try some underground hip hop, I tend not to like the music of it, but the lyrics are pretty good. Main stream rap usually gives me beats I really like, but the lyrics make me shake my head. ("my lumps"? give me a break) Kanye hits a nice sweet spot in my book, both his lyrics and beats are good. Not great, but good, and that, for me, is rare these days.

well it's basically a pile of **** out there right now literally on the radio, if you're good these days you're considered golden, the stakes need to be raised higher, everybody needs to improve, if there's not many talented rappers out there Kanye won't be hungry to improve his game either, he could sorta coast along and be better than most of them, that doesn't really benefit him as an artist though, back in the golden era everybody had to step their performance/lyrics/beats, but now there's not much motivation for that since it's such a low bar that's been set, btw this is the 3rd time that Will's been mentioned in a song this year, DMX mentioned him on his last single "We In Here", Lil Wayne mentioned him on his new single with Fat Joe and Paul Wall "Holla At Me" which btw sounds like the same beat that was used on LL's "Control Myself", probably 'cause they both sampled Afrika Bambaataa, and now Kanye mentions him in this "Number One" song here...

Edited by bigted

People it wasn't a diss...Kanye listenend to JJFP, he also listenend to LL and others...It was a compliment easily, why would Kanye come out and diss Will for no reason...Kanye's not like that.

Yeah it's basically a reference, personally the way I see it he's saying that he's popular and in your face being fresh like Will and that they're in the background like Jazzy Jeff, it's the truth, Jazzy probably won't mind if Kanye said that, he ain't worried about being popular so I don't think he'd be offended if somebody says he's behind the scenes, he's probably happy that somebody mentioned him in a song....

Edited by bigted

haha ...KEL!!! u finally made... :2thumbs: back on topic,

Kanye is a very talented brotha 4 sho,.. yall already know i give him that credit, i just dont digg his attitude... geeze...

peace,

cookie

Yup, especially since Kanye almost broke his neck trying to get to me to get a track on Will's Lost & Found album. Why it never came to fruition? I'm not sure but it is what it is... What's good, folks??

Well I guess that clears everything up then, if Kanye really wanted to be on "Lost and Found" then he wouldn't diss JJFP, unless he's pissed that he didn't make it, lol, and btw Kel is there a way we could hear that track pop up on a mixtape or something like that? I think Will should release his own "Lost Tapes", I'd be even more interested if there was more tracks with Jazzy that never made the album 'cause he did say he worked with him a lot before the album came out but Jazzy only scratched on a couple and produced one that made it on the album, btw I can't wait till a major label signs you so we could see you outsell Kanye, lol...

Edited by bigted