JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kanye West mentions JJFP

No offense 2 those who like modern commerical rap. But those who say Kanye West , Ludacris, and Nelly are actually nice on the mic are seriously underexposed on real quality Hip-Hop. If u listen 2 Lost + Found, u'll hear that lyric for lyric is written with a purpose and make sense...whether it's commical or deep. U don't really get that on albums anymore.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense 2 those who like modern commerical rap. But those who say Kanye West , Ludacris, and Nelly are actually nice on the mic are seriously underexposed on real quality Hip-Hop. If u listen 2 Lost + Found, u'll hear that lyric for lyric is written with a purpose and make sense...whether it's commical or deep. U don't really get that on albums anymore.

Sounded so nice, you had to say it twice :smart:

its all fair enough having these brillient meaningful lyrics but its no good if the beats bores me to death. Thats why i cant get into all these "good quality artists". I have way more rnb cds on my shelf compared to rap bcoz i cant find many rap artists that have decent lyrics and good beats. Kanye says some rubbish and some lyrics may not make sence BUT his beats are great and most things he says make perfect sence. He can write about a lot of different subjects unlike most rappers.

Some rappers think having brillient lyrics makes up for everything else and they dont have to make much of an effort for the actual music.

its all fair enough having these brillient meaningful lyrics but its no good if the beats bores me to death. Thats why i cant get into all these "good quality artists". I have way more rnb cds on my shelf compared to rap bcoz i cant find many rap artists that have decent lyrics and good beats. Kanye says some rubbish and some lyrics may not make sence BUT his beats are great and most things he says make perfect sence. He can write about a lot of different subjects unlike most rappers.

Some rappers think having brillient lyrics makes up for everything else and they dont have to make much of an effort for the actual music.

*High 5's Julie*

it's no good be a good rapper if you can't make a good song - that is the reason for their lack of commercial success

Well I think that's the problem now with the commercial rap game, there's a lot of hot beats but their ain't enough hot lyrics to match those beats, I might as well buy a ****ing blend tape and make better lyrics over it myself, truth be told the thing is that kids who buy albums don't even listen to lyrics anymore, they listen more for beats than they do lyrics and that's why the rap game is as wack as it is, it's like you got rappers mumbling garbage over the tracks and the

kids eat that **** up, Kanye puts a lil' more effort than that with his lyrics having a few hot lyrics in between where most pop rappers just bull**** 99% of the time, maybe Kanye might about 40% of the time, I want to get an album that has 0% bull**** though, I just want it to be like the golden era again where there was hot lyrics and beats, any album from De La Soul, Digital Underground, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, etc. is better than Kanye's career but it's like if he works on his lyrical game a bit more he could be on that level one day, not like a lot of other pop rappers that look like lil' leaguers compared to legends, Kanye's good at beat making but he's not that great as a lyricist and his flow is about just as boring sometimes, I mean if you can't ride the beat that well then that's just as boring as having a wack beat, without guest appearances his albums would be boring

Edited by bigted

Kanye's showing respect to JJFP, its certainly not a diss. Its a cool song.

With regards to what Julie said :word: To be honest, if a song sounds good to me I'll listen. Old skool is still my favourite era to listen to, but if a new age artist appeals to me, I'm not gonna dissmiss them just because they havent been in the game 20 years.

Yeah it's a producer driven industry, it's a buisiness, it's like if you don't have a certain producer on your album you don't sell, basically 50 Cent's career stays afloat because of Dr. Dre's production team, without them he'd never be this popular, I'm actually happier to hear if kids listen to Kanye rather than those like 50 Cent but that don't mean that I think that highly of Kanye personally, I like who I like and there are some good rappers in the game now, I don't just like ol' school, I like good music, you just gotta search for them 'cause they might not be on TV everyday, real hip-hop heads don't need emptv to measure the quality of a lyricist, airplay don't equal talent, I like buying mixtapes more than albums these days so that way I get to hear a lil' bit from a lot of different rappers...

Edited by bigted

Yeah the average listener just focuses on what it sounds like but I'm damn sure that some percentage of them would run out to buy somebody's album if "hot producer of the moment" is rumored to produce it, like Jazzy Jeff was to produce an album for a rapper it wouldn't sell as much as the rapper would sell if Dr. Dre was to produce it 'cause Dr. Dre is more famous than Jazzy Jeff is, association definately plays a part, I think the problem lies where a lot of hot producers give their beats to wack lyricists, one positive thing I could say about Kanye West is that most of the lyricists he produces are the most talented lyricists, he don't waste beats on garbage rappers that's selling the most like a lot of these hot producers do, but he cares about the art, he could've chose to produce a wack rapper's album instead of Common's, I give him props for that, people like Dr. Dre dissapoint me, although he's turning it around by doing Busta's album...

Edited by bigted