JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

One Question

• Members

The one thing I never got, was why Will says the S-word, and others in his movies, but not in his songs. What's with that? I mean, why does he care about saying it in his songs, but not in his movies? Is it because he doesn't want the PA sticker on it? Or just because he just does't like to?

Feedback please :stickpoke:

Will is anti-cussing and has always wanted to make music for all ages to listen to. in movies, he can't really control his lines to that extent. it would be very strange to have an actor that refused to use cuss words because all of them are supposed to be pretending to play someone else, not themselves. Will probably does say bad words in his life sometimes so he probably doesnt mind using them in a movie, but his philosophy on music is that it should be real and it should be appropriate for his kids to listen to also.

I am very glad Will doesn't curse in his rhymes. In the track, I'm Coming, Will says:

An angel, my grandma, told me before she died

Smart folks don't need to put no cursing in they rhymes

I think what he is saying is that he was raised to not curse very much. But in movies, he can't really control what the script says. Will occasionally drops some curses in his rhymes, but rarely. That is what makes Will so great, cause he can stay true to himself and not curse to just sell albums. But at the same time, he can keep it clean and still sell albums.

Thats why I dont watch Bad Boys when its aired on TV, cause they edited the swears and dub over Will and Martin's voices when ever the say a swear to "Freak" or "Melon Farmer". It just sounds terrible

Will only has so much power in films. He's playing characters...and sometimes these characters express themselves with swearing and other not.

But music is different cause that is more personal. He made a promise to his grandmother which ppl have already mention.

Will is not above swearing he just doesn't believe a rap artist needs to swear in every line of a song.

Yeah he swears in real life..but then again so does everybody else. But like Will said to his sons in his song Just the Two of Us..."Pull out chairs and Easy on the swears". Will swears but I'm sure he watches himself when he is around his kids.

He has sweared in his songs but he also edited it out. Will has proven you can write songs without swearing to still be a winner

Well there's a lot of rappers that make songs like movies and it don't really potray who they are, not every rapper is a gangbanger in real life but they put up that image to sell records, but Will chooses to be himself in his music so he don't curse and people see that as more real than other rappers 'cause he ain't trying to be a studio gangsta, the music reflects the type of person he really is, he's smart, funny, and family oriented which is what his music is, a lot of artists in general don't make music that reflects their personalities in real life, Will making songs that're personal to him is the reason why his career's still going today, people could relate to real artists, now as far as acting Will's playing a role, basically acting out role in movies is what gets you credability in the film industry, most rappers are in the wrong industry, lol...

Edited by bigted

Yeah, I understand that. Who doesn't feel that way sometimes? But for some reason, I don't think he had to go that far. The topics he spoke about wouldn't have meant any less had the F had not been said. If he would've said it, the beep shouldn't have been there. Maybe he intended to release it, but felt he had to edit it?

Or maybe thats who he is! If he was sitting chilling with a few friends discussing the topic with no cameras, fans, press etc....maybe thats how he would have said it. I personally don't have a problem with what he said, he's done this long without using a curse word in his records and for him to use one in Tell Me Why must mean something.

Thats why I dont watch Bad Boys when its aired on TV, cause they edited the swears and dub over Will and Martin's voices when ever the say a swear to "Freak" or "Melon Farmer". It just sounds terrible

lmao i wish i could have seen that, sounds like a funnier version of the movie.

We've discussed this swearing thing before. im sure Will swears a lot with his friends, he just wouldnt do it in his songs. i dont swear here, in front of my family or my friends but i cuss up a storm in work. One of my teachers in college said in an english class that there is no word in the dictionary that could replace the F word. It basically exagerates what u r trying to say, no other word would have made the same effect. Its when artists use it in every other sentance, it loses its meaning. So when Will Smith drops the F bomb, it made even more of an effect than it would have with any other artist.