JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Tonight" directorless again

Radewart

This movie has no luck!

link: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14599

Just weeks after coming onboard Sony's Tonight, He Comes, director Gabriele Muccino has gone, reports Variety. The film is still on course to shoot next year with Will Smith starring.

Muccino was hired after Jonathan Mostow dropped out because of creative differences. The trade says that Smith and Muccino had such a strong rapport on the recently completed The Pursuit of Happyness that the star was eager to reteam with the Italian helmer. Once the dust settled and Muccino got into the project, they decided that the story of a superhero in midlife crisis wasn't for him, and the split was amicable.

Because Sony has Muccino preparing "Happyness" for a December release, the studio already pushed Tonight, He Comes from a summer start to early 2007. Warner Bros. used the open slot to accelerate the start of the Francis Lawrence-directed sci-fi film I Am Legend.

Edited by Radewart

I don't think it's anything wrong with the movie itself, it just like people were saying in another thread..this really isn't a type of movie for Muccino. He doesn't seem like the special effects type of director, maybe he and Will will reteam on another drama in the future. This still gives hope for Michael Mann to not only produce it, but direct it as well!

• Members

I don't think it's gonna get cancelled. After all this talk about getting Ashwayra Rai to be cast alongside Smith for something and the hype that was created it just wouldn't be a smart move. Then again, Hollywood has shown us multiple times that it's capable of making stupid moves:/

After "I Am Legend" wraps Michael Mann will have been completely done with "Miami Vice" and I don't think he is OFFICIALLY signed for anything else so who knows...he just became a real candidate again. What's acting against his candidacy to do it is probably the fact that Will's and Mann's last collaboration (also done at Sony) "Ali" was not a commercial success. To a money-grabbing studio like Sony, I bet it is a factor.

Anyway, another mname just popped into mu head. What do you guys think about J.J. Abrams. I mean "M:I:3" is so far the best recieved movie of the summer (both commercially and critically) and there's no doubt that "Lost" and "Alias" are among the best TV-Shows in recent history so Abrams is definitely "tha THING" right now..

I don't think it's gonna get cancelled. After all this talk about getting Ashwayra Rai to be cast alongside Smith for something and the hype that was created it just wouldn't be a smart move. Then again, Hollywood has shown us multiple times that it's capable of making stupid moves:/

After "I Am Legend" wraps Michael Mann will have been completely done with "Miami Vice" and I don't think he is OFFICIALLY signed for anything else so who knows...he just became a real candidate again. What's acting against his candidacy to do it is probably the fact that Will's and Mann's last collaboration (also done at Sony) "Ali" was not a commercial success. To a money-grabbing studio like Sony, I bet it is a factor.

Anyway, another mname just popped into mu head. What do you guys think about J.J. Abrams. I mean "M:I:3" is so far the best recieved movie of the summer (both commercially and critically) and there's no doubt that "Lost" and "Alias" are among the best TV-Shows in recent history so Abrams is definitely "tha THING" right now..

Abrams is supposed to do a new take on the "Star Trek" series. Eventhough "Ali" underperformed at the box office, Mann is still a highly regarded director. "Collateral" made money and while see about "Miami Vice".

• 1 month later...