JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Disappointed

bart5

my parents wernt so bad, i only really got into to rap when i was 15 anyway, i went to a bad school so id heard everything already lol.My dad just says its rubbish and its just talking and not music. I dont think they knew exactly what i was listening to, the rap albums i bought wernt so bad but the rnb ones were all about sex.

They only really knew what they were like when i give my mum lifts in the car and somethings come on like "**** you n*****" i try to cough over it and make a joke, my mum justs says its terrible and leaves it at that. Im now more careful what CDs to have in my car when driving people around, especially my poor nan lol.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents dont care what I listen to, as long as the content isnt overly dosed with profanity, but I dont listen to that sort of music anyway so theres not a problem. But that sucks for you dude, I had an Eminem CD (Real Slim Shady) when I was 12, my parents actually bought it for me, theyre view is as long as they dont have to listen to it very often, it doesnt matter what I listen to.

My dad just says its rubbish and its just talking and not music.

That is exactly what my dad always tells me. He says its talking to a beat. But I don't really care what my dad thinks of hip hop.

Edited by bart5

"This is the reason why I didn't like you getting into rap. You are headed down the wrong path."

see this is the thing, some parents have it in their head that because an artist talks about guns, sex and drugs that their kids will do it. this is why the whole PA sticker came out, because some Washington wives were concerned about it. however, studies show that most kids arent influenced by that stuff and if they are its because they come from a broken home and or have some mental instability. i know confronting your dad right now might not be the best thing, but try to show him that you listen to Will Smith and Run-DMC and try and show him how those are good lyrics and try to show him that you are mature enough to not act on other lyrics that dont fit your values and that he's raised you well enough for that not to affect you. just be glad u got some good music out of it like Run DMC cuz thats a great album and ATCQ is always dope too.

TED:

responding to Ted's quote about PE, you might be surprised at the controversy surrounding PE in the late 80's. altho they were no NWA, Ice Cube, 2 Live Crew, or Ice-T, they still had some controversy on their albums for "voilence, anti-Semitic thems (racism basically) and militantly black separatist" and that's a direct quote from the book i have about music censorship. Chuck D's response was long as usual, but he said that he is trying to make the next generation responsible and get out the mess they're in to lead a better life. Professor Griff's albums were also banned from many record stores and considered "obscene" for the same reasons mentioned above, although there was hardly any profanity.

also, "Hazy Shade of a Criminal" was banned from MTV for a riot scene back in the day. in addition in 1996, a Jewish advocacy group called for boycotts on PE's single "Swindlers List" saying once again that it is anti-semitic (racist) because it alludes to Jews in controlling the banking industry and the words "six" and "millions" referring to the Holocaust. Chuck D responded saying no harm was intended, that "six" referred to the six major record companies and "millions" referred to the million man march.

"This is the reason why I didn't like you getting into rap. You are headed down the wrong path."

see this is the thing, some parents have it in their head that because an artist talks about guns, sex and drugs that their kids will do it. this is why the whole PA sticker came out, because some Washington wives were concerned about it. however, studies show that most kids arent influenced by that stuff and if they are its because they come from a broken home and or have some mental instability. i know confronting your dad right now might not be the best thing, but try to show him that you listen to Will Smith and Run-DMC and try and show him how those are good lyrics and try to show him that you are mature enough to not act on other lyrics that dont fit your values and that he's raised you well enough for that not to affect you. just be glad u got some good music out of it like Run DMC cuz thats a great album and ATCQ is always dope too.

TED:

responding to Ted's quote about PE, you might be surprised at the controversy surrounding PE in the late 80's. altho they were no NWA, Ice Cube, 2 Live Crew, or Ice-T, they still had some controversy on their albums for "voilence, anti-Semitic thems (racism basically) and militantly black separatist" and that's a direct quote from the book i have about music censorship. Chuck D's response was long as usual, but he said that he is trying to make the next generation responsible and get out the mess they're in to lead a better life. Professor Griff's albums were also banned from many record stores and considered "obscene" for the same reasons mentioned above, although there was hardly any profanity.

also, "Hazy Shade of a Criminal" was banned from MTV for a riot scene back in the day. in addition in 1996, a Jewish advocacy group called for boycotts on PE's single "Swindlers List" saying once again that it is anti-semitic (racist) because it alludes to Jews in controlling the banking industry and the words "six" and "millions" referring to the Holocaust. Chuck D responded saying no harm was intended, that "six" referred to the six major record companies and "millions" referred to the million man march.

I know a lot about the controversey that Public Enemy faced since that's one of my favorite hip-hop groups, they don't hold back their feelings on social issues, some people could be offended by that if they have different views and that's the reason why they ain't as popular 'cause what they talk about might not be popular opinion, butI think people should respect them for putting thought into music even if they don't agree with everything that they say 'cause a lot of rappers don't put thoughts into the music they make, I find it hypocritical that people put down rap for not making music that could educate our youth when they ignore artists like Public Enemy and KRS-ONE, their music is edutainment as KRS would say, music that educates, and I think the reason why the older generation has been resistant to hip-hop is that the media don't give shine to positive artists and they only promote thug images with rappers, black radio plays 50 Cent all day and don't play Will Smith,I mean they give Three Six Mafia an Oscar and they shove intelligent groups like Public Enemy to the side, a lot of what Chuck talked about in "Swindler's Lust" is true, labels treat real artists badly and they promote negativity...

Edited by bigted

Yeah, I know what you mean. My dad and I are cool now, its just that we get into arguements once in awhile but I'm going to try to avoid argueing with him as much as possible. My dad probably just said that cause he was mad, because he knows I'm mature. Thanks for the advice Wes. Also, I am really liking both the albums I bought. ATCQ is probably my favorite rap group after JJFP now. Its amazing how smooth their ryhmes and beats are.

Tribe Called Quest is supposed to be doing a reunion tour, sorry for going offtopic...

i had a similar problem like you but with the tenacious d cd, its very weird lyrically but i love it. so i gave the cd to a friend and kept it on my computer and he doesnt know

bigted: WHENN!!??

Edited by WILL IS ILL

I think that the reason alot of parents hate Hip-Hop music and Rap is becuz it has a bad reputation that has it associated with guns, drugs, sex, and worshipping material things. And the truth is, if i waz a parent, i wouldn't want my kids listening 2 that trash either. On top of that, i gotta say that there is nothing more annoying than a white teenager who is trying his best 2 be stereotypically black. Those cats are the most ignorant idiots i've ever seen. As a parent, i'd be totally embarassed if my teenager waz trying 2 act like somebody in a rap video (who is already putting on a front).

As i got older, my parents didn't care what i listened 2 as long as i didn't make them listen 2 it. I might have a 'hood edge but i've never tryed 2 be something i wazn't. After all, i got it from growing up in my mother's brother's place. And i also don't drink and i've never done drugs. I've never had a serious problem with violence and i've never got wrapped up in material things. As i got older they actually praised me 4 my decisions in life.

however, my parents would at least acknowledge that Public Enemy has a positive message to their music. i am reading a book right now called Parental Advisory: Music Censorship in America and it's all about how those explicit stickers came about. the reason PE's album has a sticker isn't for vulgar language, but for some violence and the revolutionary themes in the music. the problem is that the message is misunderstood. it is about inner city ghetto expressing themselves, but it's not about rage or anything. it's about educating other black people about what they can do to create a fairer world. unfortunately, some parents are too lazy to look at the whole picture. all they want to hear is the cuss words and words about violence, but they dont want to hear that maybe the artist is saying guns are bad, but they only hear guns. maybe the artist is trying to educate people and isnt glorifying violence or sex but parents dont sit down and listen to the full content.

I liked this paragraph so much Wes, that I printed it out and gave it to him with an apology to help him understand my point. Thanks for this dude.

glad i could help. i've always felt that hip-hop was misunderstood, let me know how things go, altho i wouldnt be surprised if he has the same feelings, parents dont often change their opinions on things from one minute to the next.

He didn't exactly change his views on hip hop, but we were able to talk over our differences. He explained to me why he didn't like me listening to rap (because over time, bad music can become more and more acceptable and for some other reasons), but I showed him that I wasn't going to start listening bad music full of swearing and drugs and stuff. I told him how I liked the beats and the lyrics, and how its about having fun. We are cool now, and I might be able to keep PE (my dad is probably going to listen to the album, and talk it over with my mom). But you know what the funny thing is? My older sister, who is now about 24 yrs old and married, used to listen to hip hop when she was my age and I am 99% sure she had the exact same PE album. My parents took it away from her too haha. She also had Code Red and Big Willie Style. I was only 8 yrs old at the time.

Edited by bart5

Well it's either listen to someone else very different experiences from me or listen to some white boys piss and moan about how bad their life is in the suburbs. I would rather hear someone else's experiences, not similar to my own meaningless worries played out in a punk rock/emo/pop format. It's like how compelling is the music? Like a movie, I would rather have something that is somewhat compelling, or else not waste my time.

My parents are sorta split about rap, my Dad hates it and my Mum loves it, and shes 50 years old :lolsign:

Same here, except that my Mum is 56.

TED:

I know a lot about the controversey that Public Enemy faced since that's one of my favorite hip-hop groups, they don't hold back their feelings on social issues, some people could be offended by that if they have different views and that's the reason why they ain't as popular 'cause what they talk about might not be popular opinion, butI think people should respect them for putting thought into music even if they don't agree with everything that they say 'cause a lot of rappers don't put thoughts into the music they make, I find it hypocritical that people put down rap for not making music that could educate our youth when they ignore artists like Public Enemy and KRS-ONE, their music is edutainment as KRS would say, music that educates, and I think the reason why the older generation has been resistant to hip-hop is that the media don't give shine to positive artists and they only promote thug images with rappers, black radio plays 50 Cent all day and don't play Will Smith,I mean they give Three Six Mafia an Oscar and they shove intelligent groups like Public Enemy to the side, a lot of what Chuck talked about in "Swindler's Lust" is true, labels treat real artists badly and they promote negativity...

I often dont agree with the views of Pubkic Enemy, and someties I fo feel ofended. But I`okay with that, caus I respcet theyr views. They are realy into something whne they talk about it. And they do it in a very good way, they can write. Thats why I like to lkisten to them. They dont just talk ****, they have strong opinions. Even tho mines are often diffrent, I like to listen to theyrs.

Well it's either listen to someone else very different experiences from me or listen to some white boys piss and moan about how bad their life is in the suburbs. I would rather hear someone else's experiences, not similar to my own meaningless worries played out in a punk rock/emo/pop format.

Whats wrong with that? Believ it or not, there are kids in the suburbs that might actauly have probelsm. Porblmes dont have to the based on beeing poor. For example probelsm in your family life, big time problems. You can be a ritch lil bitch, and you can still suffer under that. I dont see whats the diffrence between a Rapper teling us about how he had so sell drugs for money, and between a Punk singer telling us about how his Dady abused him for a long time. Myself, I prefer listening to Hip Hop caus I like that style of music more. But as a person I mostly cant identefy with the, with theyr problems. But with for example Good Charlotte I can identefy. I feel that they represent me, even tho I like to listen to Hip Hop allot more.