JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

HIP-HOP GROUPS

Man, i've been listening 2 alot of old school CDs recently. And i'm really missing what Hip-Hop groups used 2 be like. Sure, there are groups like Arrested Development, 4th Avenue Jones,' De La Soul, and a hand full of underground/indie groups are keeping the quality music coming. AD and De La of course have old school and early 90's roots. But lets be real, not even many underground or non-commercial groups actually balance out meaningful lyrics, dope production, chemistry, and a true friendship or bond.

I'm lookin' at JJ+FP, Salt-N-Pepa, Kid N' Play, Run-DMC, A Tribe Called Quest, Fu Schnickens, Public Enemy, Eric B. + Rakim, Pete Rock + CL Smooth, A Tribe Called Quest, Whodini, Arrested Development, The Fugees, Brand Nubian, and so on. They are all different...u may like some of the...u might not. But when u look at them all, from their early stuff 2 their most recent stuff. U see a consistency in the lyrics. U hear lyrics that are anything from funny and simple 2 deep and complex...but every lyric has a purpose. Every lyric waz thought out. U hear the beats...and most of them were good. Not every song might be amazing, but the production would be consistently good enough that skipping thru' the album was simply an option...not something that waz done often. And most importantly..INTERACTION. When u are JJ+FP adlibing back and forth...it's JJ+FP. When u hear Run and DMC going back and forth during a verse...it just fits and flows like wather. When Kid N' Play would stop in the middle of a song 2 do a dance break...it waz rehearsed but natural. When CL Smooth waz just flowing over a Pete Rock beat, u could feel the connection between them even if Pete Rock wazn't rapping or adlibbing on the track. When u have Chuck D and Flavour Flav on a track 2gether, they may have 2 totally different voices and styles....but what one didn't have or had that didn't appeal 2 the other...the other one did or didn't...know what i mean? On top of that, u could tell these groups made music 2gether cuz they loved it. Whodini could never just write the same song individually...they DID IT 2GETHER. When u hear a D12 song...u can tell Bizzare wrote his verse over a lunch break, Eminem wrote his a year ago which is what the whole song is based off of, and so on...then they just put it 2gether in a cut-n-paste song.

I really miss the good old dayz. When is it gonna come full circle?? G-Unit, DTP, D12, and all these other groups. They suck! They have nothing going 4 them. In the meantime, i guess, like in most things with Hip-Hop music...we have 2 look 2 the old stuff 4 the good stuff.

Kid`N`Play, Salt N Pepa.. Meaningfull? Ah well whatever, I know waht you mean. But I cant realy give you rigt. Wutang Clan, Hoodstok, Little Brohter etc. are alos groups like that. You donthave to look ro older stuff to haave good music. There is allot of good stufff out now, you just have to look for it. Just caus you got more wack things now, doesnt mean you get less good things. The reason that we got more wack things is that we got more thing at all. We got allot of good things, you just nead to look for it a lil, be a lil openminded.

Edited by Turntable

Hip-hop has changed, it's not quite as group oriented as it once was, there's a lot more solo artists than there is groups, sure it ain't the golden era nomore but there is a few dope hip-hop groups in between, you just gotta search like Turntable said, I think you'd like Little Brother...

We need a fresh new hip-hop group that doesn't talk about the common crap. But at the moment, it doesn't seem like that'll happen.

Wat about us? :lolsign:

Talkin seriously, sum day it'll be back, the ol good style.

We need a fresh new hip-hop group that doesn't talk about the common crap. But at the moment, it doesn't seem like that'll happen.

Wat about us? :lolsign:

Talkin seriously, sum day it'll be back, the ol good style.

I was gonna say that, but I'm not sure we'd like the comments after it :rofl:

I think AJ needs to just search underground. That's what I been doin the last few months. You need to search for it, just cause some cats dont got a Gold or Platinum plaque or on radio, doesnt mean they aint good.

One of my favorite groups of all-time is UGLY DUCKLING. They are like a new-skool Kid N Play. AJ, if you buy their new CD "Bang for the Buck" released in April - you'd instantly love it.