JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jazzy Jeff - He's the DJ

• Admin

Jazzy Jeff - he's the DJ

Written by Maxine Cohen

Thursday, 04 May 2006

jazzy-jeff_1.jpg

jazzy-jeff_1There’s a whole lot more to Jazzy Jeff than that ubiquitous 1993 single Boom Shake The Room. Maxine Cohen delves into his world.

Where does one begin to write about a man with legendary hip hop status like DJ Jazzy Jeff? In a case like this, it’s best to take it way back, back into time so you learn about the man behind the decks, his highs and lows and above all the journey that has lead him down under for a monumental event in our urban history.

‘Jazzy Jeff Townes’ was born in West Philadelphia on January 22, 1965 and by the time he was ten years old he’d already begun spinning records at family parties, perfecting his expert mixing skills in his family’s basement. This perfectionism soon saw Jeff spinning all over his hometown and gained him the reputation of not only having a good ear for music but highlighted his supreme scratching techniques. Fast tracking to the future and looking back at the steps Jeff has made, not only for himself but the legion of DJs and fans in his wake, how does this pioneer feel the role of the DJ has progressed, from then to now?

“I think there would be no hip hop culture if it wasn’t for the DJ – we are the hip hop band. Whilst I am happy that the evolution of the DJ is bigger than ever I am not happy that our role in hip hop seems to have diminished as it seems to be mostly about the MC now!’ says Jeff.

Working with many crews and MCs throughout his Philly hometown gave Jeff the ability to not only showcase his stellar DJing techniques but also to get a vibe for what was hot on the streets. House parties were the gig of choice for the up and coming DJ and in 1985 the pairing of hip hop’s wittiest duo came about when Jeff met Will Smith, and in sharing the same humour, the two quickly become the hottest act in town - and international stars.

It is hard for people to think of either one of these men without thinking not only of hip hop gems like Summertime, Parents Just Don’t Understand and Boom Shake The Room, but also of the movement and unity they represented, at a time when hip hop was solidifying itself as its own genre, independent of soul and R&B. As Jeff reflects on his early years in the hip hop game, paying homage to the elements of hip hop is never far from his mind.

“The DJ is and always will be part of the four cornerstones of hip hop – DJing, MCing, Graffiti and Break Dancing, with every group having a DJ as part of the bigger picture. Even Rock and Alternative groups have DJs now and that is a great thing to see!”

Commanding attention throughout the late ‘80s and all through the early to mid ‘90s, Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince were leaders in their field and were responsible for giving hip hop a comedic face, yet at the same time never losing the essential elements of its movement.

As Will and Jeff steadily rose the hip hop ladder and released more albums, Jeff began to concentrate more on the art form of DJing and decided to advance his own skills by becoming the first corporately sponsored DJ and designing the first mixer, in the Jazzy Jeff Signature Series called Gemini 2200. In addition to this, Jeff also became involved in the TV series of his homeboy Will Smith, the cult classic Fresh Prince of Bel Air, which saw Jeff become a series favourite in no time.

Jeff went on to create his own production company, Touch of Jazz, in 1990 with the vision of utilising and developing the musical talent in Philadelphia. Jeff also went on to produce Will Smith’s first solo album in 1997, Big Willie Style, and sultry songstress Jill Scott’s double platinum classic neo soul album Who Is Jill Scott. Artists such as Musiq, Dave Hollister, Floetry, Lil Kim and Michael Jackson have also since worked with Touch of Jazz.

Australia couldn’t have been further from Jeff’s mind back in the heady days of his ride with Will as they took over the world with their sound. What brought Jeff to our shores was a promotional tour of his 2002 album The Magnificent, which proved a great success and displayed his versatility as an artist and producer. Playing to an audience well versed in his history came as a pleasant surprise to Jeff, and he speaks from the heart as he prepares to return to our shores to guest star at our first ever Urban Music Awards in Sydney this July.

“This is great to see the world open up to urban and hip hop music – it makes me smile. I remember when they said this music would never last and look at it now, it’s global and I am a part of that. How can I not be happy and so very honoured!

“I just feel that Australia and every other country outside of the US has a better appreciation for all kinds of music. I love the music scene here and I always have a great time so I am looking forward to this night as much as you all are”, says Jeff of his involvement in the awards, which also sees him appear alongside fellow hip hop icon Kurtis Blow and the cream of Australia’s urban crop.

The choice to include one of the worlds greatest DJs in a night that will undoubtedly form part of Australia’s fast growing urban tapestry is a move well made. The people behind these awards are as passionate and visionary as Jeff has always been about hip hop, and thinking back to the day he first fell in love with it he adds, “The day I first heard someone rapping over a beat I knew this was the music for me. My mom had her music time, and now I have mine and we have been happily married for 30 years – and I still love her!”

WHO: Jazzy Jeff

WHAT: Hosts the inaugural Urban Music Awards at Homebush Stadium

WHEN: Voting open now/ Awards night Friday 21 July

MORE: www.urbanmusicawards.com.au

A Brief Jazzy Jeff History

1965 – Born Jeff Townes in West Philadelphia

1975 – Starts spinning records in his family basement

1985 – Meets Will Smith on Philadelphia party circuit.

1986 – Will & Jeff release first single Girls Ain’t Nothing But Trouble under alias Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince. Jeff also wins DMC competition.

1987 – Release debut album Rock The House, which goes Gold.

1988 – Follow up with He’s The DJ, I’m The Rapper, gaining regular play on MTV. Win Grammy for Best Rap Performance.

1989 – Release third album And In This Corner. Win American Music Awards for Favourite Rap/Hip Hop Artist and Favourite Rap/Hip Hop Album, as well as MTV Award for Best Rap Video.

1990 – Jeff sets up own production facility A Touch Of Jazz.

1991 – Release fourth album Homebase. Win Grammy for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group.

1992 – Win American Music Award for Favourite Rap Hip Hop Album for Homebase.

1993 - Release fifth Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince album Code Red, featuring single Boom Shake The Room, which goes to number one across Europe and Asia.

1994 – 2001 – Produces for A Touch Of Jazz artists, including Will Smith

2002 – Releases solo album The Magnificent.

2004 – Releases first mix CDs Hip Hop Forever 2 and Jazzy Jeff In The House.

2006 - Heads to Australia to guest star at inaugural Urban Music Awards.

http://www.threedworld.com.au/content/view/695/1/