JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

new jazzy jeff interview!

• Admin

a very long interview in German here:

http://www.weknowrap.com/journal/jazzy-jef...the-magnificent

need the german members of this board to translate for us.. in particular whats below.. he seems to be talking about Will and jazzy jeff and fresh prince

Thommeys translation

Absolutely, but Will had his own plan though: He knew that his market value is going to be ummeasurable through his hollywood-movies, so he could dictate his own terms to Sony/Columbia. It really paid-off. The movie „Men In Black“ was a hit and the song was one of the greatest hits worldwide for a couple of months. Will sold 25 million records in the aftermath of Jive. He really showed them how to do it and I was happy for him. I would have worked with him further on, i’d have made beats for him and i’d have toured with him, but i wouldn’t have subscribed for a major. Will understood my point of view totally, we’re still chummy.

Was Will on the list you were just talkin about?

Oh yeah, absolutely! I phoned him and he was thrilled. Unfortunately he was really busy (of course ) so we keep trying to set up a date. I don’t want him for 1 or 2 hours in the studio – I want him for 1 or 2 weeks. I want to get back the good ol vibe which we had back then when we recorded „He’s The DJ, I’m The Rapper“. We wrote that album in 2 weeks in the basement of my mum. I recently moved and I got a huge studio in my own basement now.

I want him to come by and try to create a atmosphere like we had at that time. Just Will and me, nobody else. I want us to pretend as it was 1986 again.

Will’s problem in the last 10 years was definitely the beats. Mostly they were wack.

But I think the problem primarily ist that Will is surrounded by apple-polishers.

When we worked together I could say somethin like: That doesn’t work, the beat aint good, the line aint good, you know? Now there are ppl who think Will is the biggest guy on earth and so he doesnt get along with criticism – and the success proves him true. I’m not that type of person, ima musician. If i’m in the studio with Sting and he sings off-key i say:

Let us do that again. Real artists respect that. That’s why Will agreed when i put my idea across. Even if we only wangle to get one good song, it’s okay – but maybe we’ll record a whole album…

Konnte Will das verstehen?

Absolut. Aber Will hatte eben seinen Plan: Er wusste, dass sein Marktwert durch seine Hollywood-Filme bald ins Unermessliche steigen würde, und daher konnte er Sony/Columbia seine Bedingungen diktieren. Es hat sich für ihn richtig ausgezahlt. Der Film „Men In Black“ wurde zum Hit, und der Song war für ein paar Monate der größte Song der Welt. Will hat 25 Millionen Platten verkauft – allein in der Zeit nach Jive. Damit hat er es ihnen richtig gezeigt, und ich konnte mich für ihn freuen. Ich hätte gern weiterhin mit Will gearbeitet – ich hätte Beats für ihn gemacht und wäre mit ihm auf Tour gefahren, aber eben nicht bei einem Major unterschrieben. Will verstand meinen Standpunkt vollkommen. Wir sind bis heute eng befreundet.

Stand Will auch auf deiner Liste, von der du eben gesprochen hast?

Oh ja, absolut! Ich habe ihn angerufen, und er war begeistert. Leider hat er natürlich sehr wenig Zeit, also versuchen wir momentan noch, einen Termin zu finden. Denn ich will ihn nicht für ein oder zwei Stunden im Studio – ich will ihn für ein oder zwei Wochen. Ich will die Stimmung zurückholen, in der wir damals „He’s The DJ, I’m The Rapper“ [ihr legendäres Doppelalbum von 1988, Anm. d. Verf.] aufgenommen haben. Das Album haben wir in zwei Wochen im Keller meiner Mutter geschrieben. Nun bin ich kürzlich umgezogen und habe jetzt ein großes Studio in meinem eigenen Keller. Ich wünsche mir, dass er für zwei Wochen zu mir kommt und mit mir versucht, eine ähnliche Atmosphäre wie damals zu kreieren. Nur Will und ich und niemand sonst. Ich will, dass wir so tun, als wäre noch mal 1986.

Wills Problem in den letzten zehn Jahren waren ja eindeutig die Beats. Die waren nun mal meist scheiße.

Da hast du recht. Aber ich denke, das liegt in erster Linie daran, dass Will heute von Ja-Sagern umgeben ist. Als wir zusammenarbeiteten, konnte ich ihm auch mal sagen: Das hier funktioniert nicht. Der Beat ist nicht gut. Die Line ist nicht gut. Verstehst du? Jetzt stehen da nur noch Leute, die das Gefühl haben, dass Will der größte Mensch der Welt ist und keine Kritik verträgt. Und der Erfolg gibt ihm dann auch noch recht. Ich bin ein anderer Typ, ich bin Musiker. Wenn ich mit Sting im Studio bin und der Kerl singt eine falsche Note, sage ich: Lass uns das noch mal machen. Echte Künstler respektieren das. Deshalb hat Will auch zugesagt, als ich ihm von meiner Idee erzählt habe. Wenn wir in den zwei Wochen nur einen einzigen guten Song hinbekommen, ist das okay – aber vielleicht nehmen wir ja auch ein ganzes Album auf…

Edited by Hero1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I got from a German translator!

Wants could that understand? Absolute. But wants had just its plan: It knew, climb would become that its market value through its Hollywood-films soon in the immense, and therefore it was able to dictate Sony/Columbia its conditions. It correctly paid itself for it. The film „Men in looked became singed was singed“ the hit, and that for a couple of month the largest the world. Wants to have sold 25 million disks – alone at the time after Jive. Therewith it correctly showed it them, and I was able to be happy for it. I would have wants worked gladly further with – I would have made Beats for it and would have gone with it on tour, but signed just not at a major. Wants understood my standpoint perfectly. We are closely friendly until today.

State wants also on your list, of which you just spoke? Oh yes, absolutely! I called it, and it was enthused. Unfortunately it has naturally very little time, therefore we try momentarily yet to find an appointment. For I do not want it for on or two hours in the studio – I wants it for on or two weeks. I want to get back the disposition, in which we received at that time „He's it The DJ, I' m The Rapper“ [its legendary double album of 1988, Anm d. Verf,.] We wrote the album in two weeks in the cellar of my mother. Now I moved recently and have now a large studio in my own cellar. I wish for that it comes for two weeks to me and tries with me to create a similar atmosphere as well as at that time. Only wants and I and no one otherwise. I want that we so do, as would be yet once 1986.

Wills problem in the last ten years were yes unambiguous the Beats. That were would **** now once usually. There you have quite. But I think, that lies wants surrounded is primarily, that today by yes-Sagern. When we collaborated, I was able to say it also once: That here does not function. The Beat is not good. The Line is not good. Do you understand? Now people who have the feeling stand there only, that the largest person of the world wants to be and endures no criticism. And the success gives it then also yet quite. I am am another type, I musician. If I am with Sting in the studio, and the fellow an incorrect note sings, say I: Let us make that yet once. Real artists respect that. Therefore has wants accepted also when I told it of my idea. If we manage singed in the two weeks only an only good, that is okay – however perhaps take we also an entire album on…

Yeah It seems like Jazzy talks about wanting to do more work with Will, some of that translation doesn't make sense though...

1. He say`s "During the times of Man In Black Will had the chance for one of the best contracts at Sony. He wanted my to join him, but I didnt feel beeing signed at a major label. he totaly understood, and I let him do his thing. I would have worked with him forever, I would make beats for him, tour with him.. But I just didnt feel the major label thing".

2.They ask him of Will Smith is on that list he was talking about. He said, "Yes, I definitly want Will. But thats a had thing, Will`s a bussy man. So its hard, caus I want him for 2 weeks, not just for 2 days. I want that mood again that we had when we recordet He`s The DJ, I`m The Rapper. We wrote that in 2 weeks. So I just want me and Will, to weeks straight."

3.Than he says," Will`s problem is that he often had wack beats during the last few years. The reasons for that is that Will mostly only has people around him that dont dare to say "no" to him. I aint like that, I allways told him when something is wack, when something doesnt fit. I`m like that, I`m a musician. Anyway, I want that He`s The DJ; I`m The Rapper feeling again. Maybe we just make one good track during those 2 weeks, but maybe we make a whole album.."

Edited by Turntable

Was Will able to understand that?

Absolutely, but Will had his own plan though: He knew that his market value is going to be ummeasurable through his hollywood-movies, so he could dictate his own terms to Sony/Columbia. It really paid-off. The movie „Men In Black“ was a hit and the song was one of the greatest hits worldwide for a couple of months. Will sold 25 million records in the aftermath of Jive. He really showed them how to do it and I was happy for him. I would have worked with him further on, i’d have made beats for him and i’d have toured with him, but i wouldn’t have subscribed for a major. Will understood my point of view totally, we’re still chummy.

Was Will on the list you were just talkin about?

Oh yeah, absolutely! I phoned him and he was thrilled. Unfortunately he was really busy (of course ) so we keep trying to set up a date. I don’t want him for 1 or 2 hours in the studio – I want him for 1 or 2 weeks. I want to get back the good ol vibe which we had back then when we recorded „He’s The DJ, I’m The Rapper“. We wrote that album in 2 weeks in the basement of my mum. I recently moved and I got a huge studio in my own basement now.

I want him to come by and try to create a atmosphere like we had at that time. Just Will and me, nobody else. I want us to pretend as it was 1986 again.

Will’s problem in the last 10 years was definitely the beats. Mostly they were wack.

But I think the problem primarily ist that Will is surrounded by apple-polishers.

When we worked together I could say somethin like: That doesn’t work, the beat aint good, the line aint good, you know? Now there are ppl who think Will is the biggest guy on earth and so he doesnt get along with criticism – and the success proves him true. I’m not that type of person, ima musician. If i’m in the studio with Sting and he sings off-key i say:

Let us do that again. Real artists respect that. That’s why Will agreed when i put my idea across. Even if we only wangle to get one good song, it’s okay – but maybe we’ll record a whole album…

Jazzy Jeff is right, I think the reason why Will's last 2 albums didn't do as well as his previous albums is that the beats were wack, even as great as "Lost and Found" is lyrically, just imagine how much better it would've been if Jazzy produced most of it, more people would've bought it too, you get the feeling that Jazzy thinks that Will's being too busy for him with the way he was talking in that interview...

wuah, i must have put a bug in jeffs ear that night in stuttgart by asking him if he's going to make a JJFP reunion album, and i was almost begging for it :rofl:

Get him into the studio Jeff! and btw, your translation is perfect thommey! :2thumbs:

He must read this board 'cause we've been saying all along that Will could only take a couple weeks out of his Hollywood schedule and get together with Jazzy and we'll have another "He's The DJ.." type album with dope lyrics and beats, but with Will talking about doing all these films who knows if he'll ever have time for Jazzy, now this is a prime example why people say that Will's an actor and doesn't count as a hip-hop artist,and the beats on Will's last couple albums are ok for amateur to make demo tapes to but they ain't high enough quality for a top mc like Will to be using, Jazzy was quite involved with "Big Willie Style" and "Willenium" that's why they did well but only "Here He Comes" is the only thing Jazzy produced for Will in the last 6 years, Will abandoned Jazzy altogether on "Born To Reign" and it's the worst selling, least critical acclaimed album of his career,bottomline thoughI just hope that whenever Will's ready to get back to music again that he calls Jazzy up to help him with it, I bet the beats he made on the computer were even better than what was actually on his last couple albums...

Edited by bigted

hey guys there are also other interesting statements of jeff.

he also says that he has the following artists who confirmed to work with him on his following album:

KRS One, Q-Tip, Method Man, C.L. Smooth, Little Brother, Rhymefest, Dave Ghetto

and just like you already know, he's trying to get Will also on his 2nd album.

and he further says that Jive thought that there time was over and that they couldn't be successful anymore after 10 years. so Will and Jeff tried to get out of their deal with Jive and it was really hard. and Wills plan was to sign a contract with Sony/Columbia.

and he also says that him and Will never broke up as a group, so there's still "Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince"!

Jazzy Jeff's working on 2 albums?!! Now basically like I've been sayin' all along it was probably Columbia's idea to have it as "Will-the actor who raps-Smith" rather than "Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince the rap group" 'cause they knew that more people would buy his albums if it went under his real name instead of as Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince that lost popularity, they figure if they could associate Will with his movies that he'd sell more, maybe Jazzy didn't sign there 'cause they probably wanted him to do movies to promote his album, Columbia seems to be about gimmicks, they don't care about good music, that's why they dumped a bunch of dope rappers over the last few years and only kept Bow Wow, lol, I think if it remained JJFP that people would still want to buy it, these record execs are just idiots, just like when Columbia told Will after "Born To Reign" that kids would never want to listen to him again and he gets nominated for a Nickelodeon award for favorite music artist this year, lol...

Jive was dissapointed with the lackluster sales of "Code Red" that's why they wanted nothing to do with JJFP but as soon as "Big Willie Style" blew up they rushed out "JJFP's Greatest Hits", they gave up on them too soon, a lot of rappers at the time weren't selling anyway 'cause gangsta rap was taking over, it wasn't just JJFP sales that were dropping but they don't care about the artists it's only buisiness, that's why teeny bop singers and studio gangstas take up space on major labels, they don't sign real artists period, the one thing I don't get is that those beats on "Code Red" were the best beats of all time and yet it's the lowest selling JJFP album? But I guess like I said gangsta rap was taking over but still you figure more would buy it than they did, Will and Jeff should just release a JJFP album themselves and not sign to any of these wack labels that'll change their image, Overbrook could distribute it, Will got the money especially with doing all these films...

Edited by bigted