JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

I think FP should go on Def Jam

Well record sales on general are slowing down,I think that's why Teiarra Mari, Ne-Yo, and Rihanna didn't sell higher than they did even with huge hits, Omarion and Marques Houston had videos all in major rotation and they didn't go platinum either, now with Teiarra Mari and Ne-Yo being on Def Jam, it should be really called Def Soul like when Lyor Cohen was president and they had Montell Jordan and Kelly Price on the label, it was under the Def Soul imprint, those are the type of artists they are...

btw AJ you talk about bringing positive vibes and not being negative but going on and on dissing people like Jay-Z that you don't even know is not positive even if you don't like his music there's no need to hate him with a passion like this, it's not cool, don't have hate in your blood, you sound like you'd beat up Jay-Z if you met him or something, lol, I'd rather have Will work with somebody like Jay-Z than Tommy Mottolla 'cause whether you like it or not Will respects Jay-Z as a person and as an artist and vice versa, don't worry about Jay trying to turn Will into a studio gangsta, that won't happen, he hasn't done it to LL so why'd he try that with Will? He knows the type of music Will's good at doing and he'll let him do it,it'd be a win-win situation for Def Jam and Will, and like I said earlier Will'd fit right in there with LL, Nas, and The Roots to bring true hip-hop back to the masses, what other label is as strong as that?

Will's an open minded individual and a team player but it sounds like if you were in his shoes you wouldn't be a team player 'cause you on and on hating, you'd get into a lot of rap beefs, lol, if you go around acting better than everyone else nobody like you, that's what you respect about Will but why don't you try more of that yourself while you're at it?

Bottomline,I really don't care who Willworks with as long as he keeps on releasing albums, Will always stays true to himself, he's not gonna change his image ever...

Edited by bigted

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it'd be a win-win situation for Def Jam and Will, and like I said earlier Will'd fit right in there with LL, Nas, and The Roots to bring true hip-hop back to the masses, what other label is as strong as that?

yeah that's exactly what i am talking about ^ just Will can work with all these dope artists plus Kanye and ....besides Russel Simmons got huge respect to Will ... so i hope Will really go to Def Jam :1-say-yes:

There's no hate in my blood for Jay-Z...nor do i hate him with a passion. But i simply don't like his music or the way he's been put on a pedistool by these new school rap fans. It's just my opinion. There's much more things he could say in his music...things that actually mean something. The fact that i don't see him as a postive person or making positive music that has a relevance is my reasoning behind this. When i think of FP working alongside someone with his music career. I think of it making sense with Russell Simmons, Run, LL, KRS-One, etc. I don't see him working along Jay-Z.

• Admin

Yeah why does everyone wanna see Will work with Jay-Z or Kanye.. I'd much rather see him doing tracks with queen latifah, LL Cool J, EPMD, whodini, Public Enemy, Krs 1, de la soul, tribe called quest, masta ace etc

Keep in mind that it's not only Jay-Z in charge at Def Jam, LA Reid is in charge there too, so it's not like Will'd just be working for Jay-Z anyway, keep in mind that before Jay-Z was named president there some artists like Public Enemy and Montell Jordan didn't like the way they were treated by Lyor Cohen when he was in charge so it's not like everything was perfect before Jay was there and it ain't perfect now but being that Jay's also an artist he seems to have respect for the artists 'cause he knows what they go through, I don't anybody's had problems with him yet, except for DMX who was just being stubborn basically I must say as much as I like his music, he seems to have ego problems and that turns me off from X a lil' bit, but Jay lets the artists do their thing, it might not be a perfect label but what label's perfect anyway? Btw why can't Will work with more current artists too he shouldn't just work with ol' school artists ...

Come on now ain't ?uestlove producing on Will's next album anyway? Maybe Will does have in mind to go Def Jam since The Roots signed there recently, btw you wouldn't wanna see Will work with Nas, LL Cool J, and Redman? They're all on the Def Jam roster, even The Isley Brothers have an album coming out and Will could work with them too, if you really want Will to go ol' school, lol, Imean if Ronald Isley don't mind working with Jay-Z why'd Will have any problems?

I don't think Will should do an album full of guest appearances though, unless it turns out like LL's album, I don't like half of the artists featured on "Todd Smith" but the collabs turned out well, as long as the music's good, who cares who's on it, Will's gonna hold it down regardless, that's what it's about...

Jay seems to show more respect for Will than Dr. Dre does, but it seems that being associated with those 2 guys is the only way you could sell a lot of records, it's either join Aftermath or Def Jam or flop doing records with only ol' school artists that nobody buys anymore, I mean you want Will to sell more albums right? All the kids that like Jay-Z would go on the Big Willie bandwagon if they see how much Jay respects him, what's wrong with that idea?

I personally have no problem with him sticking at Interscope and selling what he currently does, I don't worry about sales, I just want good music, but I don't care who he works with either as long as the album's dope, Jay got talent, he's been rapping about as long as Will but it took him a lil' longer to get a record deal,

I'm not saying he's the GOAT and I don't personally like a lot of his music either,but if he's so wack why don't you make an album better than his or beat him in a freestyle battle? I wouldn't mind if he did something with Will, even if Kanye did something with Will, that'd be aight too, Kanye also got respect for Will, Will should work with people that respect him and he respects back, and it's like that in this case whether you like it or not, they're better than most rappers out now too in my opinion but of course those are not collabs I'd die over if they didn't happen, Will could work with whoever he wants to, he's making the album not us, he could sign to whatever label he wants too to, it's his career, we're all gonna have disagreements on who we want him to work with 'cause we all have different artists that we like besides JJFP but I think we all want Will do keep on droppin' solid albums for the masses to enjoy and Def Jam would be a nice platform for Will to be heard, what's so bad about that? I'm not a fan of Pussycat Dolls, Ludacris, or Lil' Kim but "Lost and Found" and "Willenium" are dope albums, and as long as Will keeps on making quality music he could work with Britney Spears for all I care, I'd be more dissapointed if he decides not to make anymore music...

Edited by bigted

Keep in mind that it's not only Jay-Z in charge at Def Jam, LA Reid is in charge there too, so it's not like Will'd just be working for Jay-Z anyway, keep in mind that before Jay-Z was named president there some artists like Public Enemy and Montell Jordan didn't like the way they were treated by Lyor Cohen when he was in charge so it's not like everything was perfect before Jay was there and it ain't perfect now but being that Jay's also an artist he seems to have respect for the artists 'cause he knows what they go through, I don't anybody's had problems with him yet, except for DMX who was just being stubborn basically I must say as much as I like his music, he seems to have ego problems and that turns me off from X a lil' bit, but Jay lets the artists do their thing, it might not be a perfect label but what label's perfect anyway? Btw why can't Will work with more current artists too he shouldn't just work with ol' school artists ...

Come on now ain't ?uestlove producing on Will's next album anyway? Maybe Will does have in mind to go Def Jam since The Roots signed there recently, btw you wouldn't wanna see Will work with Nas, LL Cool J, and Redman? They're all on the Def Jam roster, even The Isley Brothers have an album coming out and Will could work with them too, if you really want Will to go ol' school, lol, Imean if Ronald Isley don't mind working with Jay-Z why'd Will have any problems?

I don't think Will should do an album full of guest appearances though, unless it turns out like LL's album, I don't like half of the artists featured on "Todd Smith" but the collabs turned out well, as long as the music's good, who cares who's on it, Will's gonna hold it down regardless, that's what it's about...

Jay seems to show more respect for Will than Dr. Dre does, but it seems that being associated with those 2 guys is the only way you could sell a lot of records, it's either join Aftermath or Def Jam or flop doing records with only ol' school artists that nobody buys anymore, I mean you want Will to sell more albums right? All the kids that like Jay-Z would go on the Big Willie bandwagon if they see how much Jay respects him, what's wrong with that idea?

I personally have no problem with him sticking at Interscope and selling what he currently does, I don't worry about sales, I just want good music, but I don't care who he works with either as long as the album's dope, Jay got talent, he's been rapping about as long as Will but it took him a lil' longer to get a record deal,

I'm not saying he's the GOAT and I don't personally like a lot of his music either,but if he's so wack why don't you make an album better than his or beat him in a freestyle battle? I wouldn't mind if he did something with Will, even if Kanye did something with Will, that'd be aight too, Kanye also got respect for Will, Will should work with people that respect him and he respects back, and it's like that in this case whether you like it or not, they're better than most rappers out now too in my opinion but of course those are not collabs I'd die over if they didn't happen, Will could work with whoever he wants to, he's making the album not us, he could sign to whatever label he wants too to, it's his career, we're all gonna have disagreements on who we want him to work with 'cause we all have different artists that we like besides JJFP but I think we all want Will do keep on droppin' solid albums for the masses to enjoy and Def Jam would be a nice platform for Will to be heard, what's so bad about that? I'm not a fan of Pussycat Dolls, Ludacris, or Lil' Kim but "Lost and Found" and "Willenium" are dope albums, and as long as Will keeps on making quality music he could work with Britney Spears for all I care, I'd be more dissapointed if he decides not to make anymore music...

:word:

interesting.. Russell Simmons was the group's manager early on.. during the Jive years..

If they were to become a duo again, I'd love to see them on the Def Jam roster..

Yeah there's The Russell Simmons Music Group on Def Jam, Rev. Run's album was released through there last year, it only sold 40,000 copies which is surprising especially since he had "Run's House" on MTV, you figure that he'd sell more than that....

Well that probably had something to do with it which is kinda sad, people rather buy 70 minute commercial rap albums with 90% filler than buy an album from the legendary Rev. Run, but "Mind On The Road" got sparingly airplay too, that probably also had to do with it and the reality show really didn't have much to do with his music anyway so people wouldn't know that he had an album out, it wasn't really promoted that well as it should've been either, Russell Simmons should've done more...

Edited by bigted

Yeah it's not really a top label that Russell Simmons has, it's just an imprint, Rev. Run's probably ok with selling 40,000 albums but I don't think Will'd wanna do that...