JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why I'm trying to be more tolerant

Schnazz

In light of the frequent arguments that break out on this board, I thought I'd share why I'm trying to be more tolerant of peoples opinions. Perhaps if folks share more coming together experiences, more folks will come together. Who knows, I'm sure no Ghandi. :)

I grew up very religious, in a very religious environment. In my late teens and early 20's, I've went away from that. I began seeing ways in which religion was hurting some people. Of course, at one time or another, it get's argued that just about anything can hurt some people, look at the current anti-video game stuff out there. However, organized religion really pushed my buttons, and I became very vocally anti-religion.

Two and half years ago I met my Lady, we're currently planning our wedding. I came to learn her religious beliefs along the way and it really bothered me. I, of course, think my views are right and hers are wrong. However, one evening she was telling me about her childhood. She lost her father when she was young, 12 I believe. I, having two living and loving parents, can only imagine how tough that must have been. She told me how she deals with it... She knows her father is in heaven and that she'll see him again some day. That's how she managed to work through such a loss. Seeing such belief in her eyes and how much that thought helps her, it became so clear that religion helps her in a HUGE way. It doesn't matter if I think she's wrong about it, she draws strength and hope from it. That's what's important. So I decided that I needed to stop being upset that she believed in something that I though was foolish and instead be happy that she has something that can give her so much.

I'm still very much learning this whole tolerance thing. Matter of fact, just last weekend I caused a fight with her about religion. But I think I'm getting better at it and I hope that I can become understanding and appreciating of all the different views eventually. :)

That's the end of my story, do share your own! However, I have no intention of this thread turning into another "I'm right and you're wrong" brawl, I'll be deleting any posts that do any attacking or make negative comments. Fair warning. :)

• Admin

This is my story... I've grown up with parents..and as a matter of fact a family that is super religious.. In fact their views often get to me.. and theres been many arguments.. and I've gone the other way.. the black sheep of the family you know.. Heres what I think.. I don't agree with anyone making judgements or telling people how to live their lives based on religion..Or scorning others because they don't believe what they believe in.. I won't talk about my own beliefs.. I think that's a personal thing.. I think anyone can believe what they want just don't impose it on other people..and I'm cool :word: but I agree with your main point Schnazz.. we need to be more tolerant of other people.. Also good luck with the wedding! :2thumbs:

Yeah.. I see it as a balance thing.. tolerating why still trying to change is what I try to do, but I fail pretty often since it becomes just trying to change. Perhaps that is just who I am, a man who will try to make people believe in the same thing as myself. In that case I will definetly be a complicated love life, but thats okey since I'm not really searching for love, I just want a better world.

Good luck with the wedding, Schnazz!

There is no need to change anyone's personal spiritual beliefs Lerkot.. Seriously :word:

Well actually I think there is a need because religion is the father to a lot of the violence in the world (even though drugs and alcohol is worse in that aspect).

The only reason religion causes problems is because people arnt tolerant of other people. Some people find a lot of comfort from religion e.g. like schnazz said, his girl finds comfort that she will see her father some day.

Some people see no point to religion and thats fine with me. People who are religious dont need to shove it down peoples throats, and people who arnt religious dont need to try and change peoples minds. If it gives someone comfort then leave it.

I just don't give a damn about any stuff like this, or what other people believe, they can do whatever they want... I just keep it movin...

:word:

my whole story behind religion is i grew (and am growing up) in a religious household. my parents are christian, my grandparents are christian, my great grandparents, aunts, unlces -- all christian. i am a christian but not how everyone wants me to be. if it were up to my grandparents and parents i'd be going to church 3 times a week, i'd be baptized, i'd be attending a christian school, and i'd be reading the bible and interpreting all of that

now to me all of that stuff is wack at this point in my life. i respect my religion and i believe in it, but i just wanna live my life as a young adult and not be worried about all the teachings of it. i go to church on sundays and thats good enough for me. right now religion isn't my biggest priority. i am guessing i will become more deeply involved in it when i'm older. right now i wanna have fun, period!! yafeel me?!

Edited by WesSyde

The reasons that religion caus probelsm ois not caus of the religion itself. religion is something that people can hang on too, something that can give them power and hope. Some oepope know that and they wanna make provite of that, by using it against the mostly uneduacted religious people. Thats how stuff like terrorisme in the name of religion etc. comes if you ask me..

When it coms to me: I dont mind.. people can believe in whatever they want, they can love whatever they want.. Why the hell should I care, its theyr bussines, not mine..

Come on now, :topic:

Congratulations on your wedding bru... Thats always a beautiful thing... Love is deep, just as your personal religious beliefs are deep. Marriage is about commitment and acceptance of the other just as they are. A very important decision you both will face is (if u decide to have children in the future).. what religion you want to raise your children up into before you marry so it wont cause any future problems. For me personally, its important for me to be with someone who has the same beliefs as myself. This will allow us to grow closer we grow old together... but that can also apply to ppl in love with different beliefs, because i've seen it successful in many marriages...

Im like Wes and a few others. I grew up as a Christian. (Baptist) As an adult, I've chosen to be inter denominational (or non denominational) Its still Christian, but I choose not to add a title to my beliefs in God. Interdeminational teachings are geared towards ppl of all religions, coming together as ONE, in praising and honoring ONE God. As long as I grow and progress in my life and can apply the word to specific situations, Im happy in what I believe. I've had many experiences that confirmed in my heart that God is very much alive and in my life, and I don't belittle anyone else believing differently than I do.

I wish u the best in your marriage with your lady...

peace,

cookie

peace,

cookie

Edited by 3cookies

Whatever one believes is fine with me...I just hope that each person gives back in their own way for an hour or two on the weekend...whether it be going to Church, praying, reading the bible, or just taking a couple hours out of our hectic weekends to spend in solitude, deep thought, or whatnot. If you don't want to go to a Church, fine. I don't think it's for everybody.

My whole high school years I barely went at all and loathed it, now I go at least once a week and am a lector and core member of the teen group. So, I've been on both extremes now, so I can see where exactly I'll fit in in the future. I just don't appreciate when somebody gives me crap about going to Church so frequently when I know they sit on their ass on Sundays and drink their minds numb or whatever. I just feel useless when I don't give a little time back every once in a while in appreciation of all the fun and blessings that I've had during the week. At least that's how I see it...

Ok well here's my story... I am purely atheist, I was raised in an atheist family, and I do not believe in God. However, I do respect the religious beliefs of other people. There are a lot of religious people where I live, considering the fact that 70% of the population of Utah is Mormon. I know a lot of Mormon people and I totally respect their beliefs, and they respect mine. I do not attempt to convert them to atheism, and they don't try to convert me. Religious beliefs is something we are all going to have to live and deal with. Everyone was taught and raised differently and they believe in their own way. Religious beliefs are chosen by an individual and that person can choose how they want to believe it, and other people can't change that. That is why we have to respect each other's beliefs, because they influence one's life. Religion is a world-wide thing that one person alone can't change. One person can't go around saying that the way he/she believes is the right way and that everyone else is wrong, because there is no right or wrong belief or opinion. It is merely what one person thinks, and we all must learn to respect that. So to sum this all up... even though I am atheist, I repsect everyone else's beliefs, and I understand how their beliefs affect their lives, and how their beliefs are important to them for dealing with situations in life.