JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

new JJFP?

Hero1

• Admin

JAZZY JEFF - The Good and The Magnificent

His name may forever be paired with The Fresh Prince but Jazzy Jeff has been blazing his own path, including to Australia, as he told MATTHEW PERKINS.

Hits like Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble and I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson helped launch the career of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air aka Will Smith but was also the beginnings of another huge talent, DJ Jazzy Jeff, and he doesn't mind being reminded of those early days. "I love it... that's all a part of who I am."

He doesn't even mind seeing the mammoth success Smith has had. "I love it because it's not a surprise to me at all... he said he wanted to be a movie star and I said I wanna do music... so the fact that we really made our dreams happen is incredible!"

And some of those dreams are still shared. In fact, "We worked on some new stuff not too long ago," Jeff reveals, "(and) we try to see each other as much as we can."

So, does that mean that the famous duo, Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, could be reformed? "(Laughs) It never left… coming soon!" You heard it here first.

As well as collaborative work, Jeff's been working hard on his own material - remixes plus a solo album, The Return Of The Magnificent, which he hopes to have in stores by the end of the year.

Before then, though, he's got an important date in Australia. He'll be helping to host Australia's first Urban Music Awards, in Sydney on Friday, July 21, an event designed to recognise the great and the good of the local hip hop and R&B scenes, and something Jeff is looking forward to. "I like checking out talent I have never seen or heard, and I get to come back to Australia!" he enthuses, "I really love how open the music scene is there. I thought the hip hop scene was incredible - it reminded me of how it used to be in the States."

Jeff will be performing while he's here too. "I don't mind getting' people on the floor a lil' bit!" he says light heartedly. He may even display some of his famous DJ skills, which he promises haven't got rusty. "Well I DJ so much, I have to stay sharp!" Although, he admits his days of battling it out as a competition DJ are over, even if he does keep an eye on the new generation of competition DJ. "The things they do are incredible!" he agrees excitedly, "(but) sometimes I wish they put a lil' more soul into it... its not all just technical!"

Modern rap's commercial side may contribute to that lack of soul, as the first ever sponsored DJ agrees. "There's good and bad in (how commercial hip hop has become)," Jeff offers, "the good is that helps it to be as global as it is, the bad is that it attracts a lot of people who have no true love for it... they wanna milk it dry and throw it away."

That's something this long serving hip hopper is definitely not doing. And Jeff's interest in new talent with the right attitude fits well with his upcoming role at the Urban Music Awards, which you can play a part in too, by voting for who you think deserves to win: just head to www.urbanmusicawards.com.au for more information.

Posted on April 26, 2006 07:29 PM

http://www.xpressmag.com.au/archives/2006/...zy_jeff_the.php

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone didn't know, I'm likely to be going to Melbourne in July (mainly to see a mate who's at uni there), but also to hook up with Tim and play a bit of poker (haha!)... so picture the new avatars... me, Tim, and Jeff all in one! Man, I hope this works out!

Oh yeah, it's dope about the possibility of new JJFP!

DOPE NEWS!! :1-eek:

however, i'm not the type of person to get my hopes up higher than they need to. so for all i care, saying that Jeff and Will have been "working together" could mean theyve recorder 5 tracks, and that we'll see one on ROTM and a couple on Will's compilation album. a new album would be great, but im not gonna get my hopes up. it seems like Will and Jeff always say stuff about JJFP reuniting and touring and it never happens, but if Jeff tells an online mag that it will happen then i think it will, i just dont think itll be a whole album.

great news Jonny hope ya have fun. doesnt it get really hot in australia? or will it not even be summer by then?? :hmm:

It's about damn time! :rockon: