JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Rappers Urge Financial Responsibility

bigted

Well like I've said many times rappers don't raise kids, parents do, I mean if the parents did their jobs in the first place in teaching their kids when they grow up how to budget their money then I think that nobody would have to write a book about how to get your money right, it's real simple to me, you don't spend every dime, don't buy things you have no use for, like I wouldn't spend a million dollars to buy my wife an engagement ring that's stupid and if she don't like that then screw her,

I don't want no golddigger, lol, I wouldn't buy no grillz, and I wouldn't spend money on a house I wouldn't live in, if I get millions of dollars I wanna still be the same way, just get what I need to survivesave some for a rainy day just in case emergency happens is what I learned, and give back if you can, it's all common sense, people just don't seem to have it, what can I say, if I ever get to have the type of money that Will makes I'd buy a network where they show the other of rap and they'd play hip-hop with a message, give groups like Dead Prez and Public Enemy a chance to shine, but of course one of those bling bling rappers would come along and start their own so what's the point right? :stickpoke:

I agree with you though that these pop rappers doing bling bling songs is ridiculous, it shows a sign of immaturity really(ie Bow Wow in "Freshasimiz" video), but what I'm saying is that they don't represent everybody in hip-hop, there are mcs out there with a message, BET don't play them, that's what upsets me about Will, he complains about how they play all these bling bling songs and videos on his song Lost and Found but he got all this money.

I mean come on now, he could do something about that if he wanted to really, I wonder if Chuck D was in his position financially would he do something about it instead, and since he got a lil' radio show online already, if he had Will's finances I'd be willing to bet he'd buy viacom, lol, Will'd get the ultimate respect in hip-hop if he bought a mainstream radio station like he said, what's holding him back man? Se

Send that bitch Wendy Williams home and get some real DJs on the air that do less bull****ting and drop more hip-hop knowledge, it'd send a message to the entire hip-hop community, maybe instead of doing this book Russell Simmons could've thought about investing in a TV station or radio station himself, do it like Spike Lee, he got his own TV station in Spike TV, and 50 got the nerve to diss him, lol...

TED: break up the paragraphs.. finish sentences with a full stop.. just makes it easier to read thats all

Edited by Hero1

What's too long the long message I wrote or the long article I found? I could break it down into seperate posts if you'd like...

Edited by bigted

i've got to interject here

first, good point about the dead prez album tim, everyone should get it.

second, i didn't read Ted's 2 page long posts about a controversial point that was probably misunderstood, but i did read his last one. and i have to disagree with you on one point Ted:

I mean if the parents did their jobs in the first place in teaching their kids when they grow up how to budget their money then I think that nobody would have to write a book about how to get your money right, it's real simple to me, you don't spend every dime, don't buy things you have no use for, like I wouldn't spend a million dollars to buy my wife an engagement ring that's stupid and if she don't like that then screw her, I don't want no golddigger, lol, I wouldn't buy no grillz, and I wouldn't spend money on a house I wouldn't live in, if I get millions of dollars I wanna still be the same way, just get what I need to survivesave some for a rainy day just in case emergency happens is what I learned, and give back if you can, it's all common sense

first off, let me tell you my background. i am a white kid with some of the most strict parents i know. they hate rap, but of course when you are 17 they just gotta live with some things. my parents have always taught me to value money and to make the right decision. they have always tried to keep me away from all that rap music and glorifying sex, drugs, and bling. they would not condone it at all if i got a grill or a chain or whatever. so there, my parents did their jobs!

however, as a 17 year old when i see rappers flashin around grills and chains, i want one too!! it looks good on them. they get all the hoez. and in general, when i see something i like, i wanna buy it even if its not a neccessity or i dont have the money. that's just the way it is with kids, teens, and young adults. I KNOW how to spend money wisely and make the better choice, BUT that doesnt mean that all that flashy stuff still doesnt appeal to me. WHY wouldnt it? its SHINY and it LOOKS NICE! now i'm not gonna go out and buy that stuff cuz 1) i dont need to attract attention to myself to be cool and 2) i dont think its really my personality to be actin gangsta. BUT i have blown money on things in the past just because it feels good to buy things and spend money! lol even tho i know better, certain things still appeal to me. you can't fault kids for liking bling bling, it's appealing to that age group. i'm glad that you save every dime you can cuz thats a good mentality to have, but that's only YOU. thats not other people, some people just live differently and i think you should accept that.

the point you made about parents is right most of the time, but i dont think its the case all of the time. bottom line is teens and young adults are gonna be attacted to that stuff no matter what their morals and ethics tell them. perhaps the parenting issue comes in when they decide whether or not to act on it.

Here's an idea for the rappers:

STOP MAKING VIDEOS AND SONGS THAT TALK ABOUT MONEY, ICE, CARS AND RIMS!!!! TALK ABOUT SOMETHING IMPORTANT... LIKE ENDING RACISM, CLASSISM AND PROMOTING PEACE AND RESPONSIBILITY!!

:word: :wickedwisdom:

I didn't say that wearing jewlery is wrong, if I had some moremoney I'd probably get some nice jewels myselfbut I wouldn't go over board and buy chains worth as much as a house which might put me in debt later on,that's just ridiculous to me man and the point is since most of the rap fans are kids, I don't think they'd still prefer bling-bling rap songs over the songs with substance even if the conscious rap was pushed a lil' more, they just like something to dance to...

Edited by bigted

I didn't say that wearing jewlery is wrong, if I had some moremoney I'd probably get some nice jewels myselfbut I wouldn't go over board and buy chains worth as much as a house which might put me in debt later on,that's just ridiculous to me man and the point is since most of the rap fans are kids, I don't think they'd still prefer bling-bling rap songs over the songs with substance even if the conscious rap was pushed a lil' more, they just like something to dance to...

first off, that post had almost nothing to do with my post or any acknowledgment of what i said. but i'll give my insight about what you said about kids

when you reach high school, its a whole different world. sex and drugs are so easily obtainable and done by a lot of people. also the music is different. you get to hear what the older generation is listening to. and if you've ever had an older brother, u probably noticed he listened to a different stlye of music than you. underground music and music with a message is not at all uncommon with high schoolers. damn near everybody at my school thinks G-Unit is crap and likes underground rap, mainly bay area rap where i live. but nonetheless, i can find plenty of people who like music with a better message than what commercial rappers have to say most of the time.

a friend of mine works at the teen center aka the youth activity center in my city. they do middle school dances sometimes and he gets to DJ. he was saying that he would throw on all the records that were hot to us high schoolers, and they didnt know it at all. then when he would put on whatever is commercially on tv and radio they danced to it.

so, is commercial rap the only rap being marketed? yes. does that mean that high schoolers cant do their own investigating? no it doesnt, they do most of the time. middle school kids (12, 13, 14 years old) are too young to research in depth about music unless they really love it. in addition, if the radio played Dead Prez, would these kids even like it? would they comprehend the message? i mean, the beat aint knockin like they're used to, so the only thing left is the words, but will they understand them? i dunno to be truthful.

sure the radio only plays certain songs and thats wrong, but would playing all kinds of music change the habits of those who are truly affected by it or will they still like the same ol trash cuz their young and they dont care about the message? i tend to think they'll still like the club bangers by all the big name artists myself.