JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Reasons for Will Smith's "Image"

My friend who I grew up with all my life and I were talking on Saturday. I handn't seen him in over a year (he's been in Florida). Anyway, we were talking about Will Smith and he said that its not exactly the reason that he doesn't curse. the reason is that he doesn't exactly change with the times. Felix (my friend's name) said that L&F was a really good album, but Will samples way too much and that he's so hell bent on being old school, it doesn't really make his songs as good as they can be. Felix also said that Will's music isn't also that good for playing in a club. The Bass isn't that good. Also he said that people say that L&F was Will's best album to date and all that stuff, but you still see Gettin' Jiggy wit it on the TV. Felix actually said that he really liked L&F, and that he perfers it to Will's last two albums (B2R and Willenium).

sorry if some of that seems odd to you. Felix and I shared a bottle of Smirnoff and we were watching old Power Rangers episodes, and it was aroung 2 in the moring. But it did make sense at the time.

"Will samples way too much and that he's so hell bent on being old school,"

I can tell you right now, as an aspiring Producer, 99% of hip hop is sampled. you may not even relaize that it is, but it is. 6-s,70s, 80s classics? You have fun when you find that right old school joint, that'll just sound dope sampled. If he's talking tracks like Freakin' it and men In Black? Wll yea the samples aren't exactly cut up...but still.

My friend, Rappers have been cursing since the dawn of raps existance. Will Smith FROM THE START chose to be different.

He has gotten a lot of haters because of this, but has gained true fans in the process.

90% of Fans who enjoy cursing rappers like 50 Cent and Eminem, only enjoy them in the club/car radio, and then forget about them after that.

Will Smith Fans stay true forever

I guess everybody got their opinions, we cant expect everybody will be a JJFP/Will Smith fan, many ppl will say many things :shrug:

My friend, Rappers have been cursing since the dawn of raps existance.

you sure about that one? u might have to double check that "my friend"

Hell, when Will was a growing teen he wrote curses in his rhymebook... 20+ years ago

But he eventually changed his ways

Edited by dkny2kx

Your friend is an idiot. FP does what he wants...period. He isn't trying 2 be old school. He's from the old school and he's always gonna have traces of that in his music whether he tries 2 or not. Check Chuck D, LL, Ice Cube, Rev Run, DMC, and so on. Their current music is all true 2 their old stuff...while still fresh 2 what they are doing 2day. Lots of this new jack commerical rappers not only lie where they come from, but they don't tell u where they really come from. FP's music is 4 a certain kinda music fan. I think that kinda person repects intellegent people, old school flava, positive music, true-2-self lyrics, and so on.

The fact that he said the bass isn't enough is rediculous. What did he do, download the album and listen 2 it on his computure. He can ride with me and hear it thru' my stereo....cuz it's fine 2 me. And the whole sampling issue...puh-leez. Has he noticed that Hip-Hop music started by sampling other people's records?!?! Besides, FP hasn't done 2 much sampling since Willennium.

Well, i like sampling, cause it could also give a funny touch to songs (Girls Aint nothin, Here He Comes,...). Well, i respect your friends opinion, but i doubt that he's ever heard any old skool joints. Well maybe he has, but then i guess that he doesnt understand what Wills trying to say when he wants to get back to oldskool. Its not really the type of music, its more the artform, you know. To keep things true and real. not to act like a fool or somebody you are not in reality. Just to be yourself.

If every rapper would give 100% if himself on records then all of them would have their own style and type of music. it would be all unique, cause nobody can exactly be like you. nobody can exactly have the same experience like you do.

look back into the golden days of hiphop. the guys respected each other and had their own style and everybody was with it.

i think its great that Will samples a lot, i really like it when he does the 80's classic and stuff, his beats are so much more interesting than other rappers, every1 elses sound pretty much the same.

And as for the club comment, he couldnt be more wrong, i rarely hear people like 50 cent in the club (apart from i heard the song "in da club" a few times when it came out), even eminem isnt really played that much. Will is played so much more in the clubs than other rappers, in fact i hear him more often in clubs than on the radio.

Eminems tracks are hardly played. 50 is played sometimes. but Will, they often put his stuff. they are still playing switch and party starter, cause they really stand for what they're meant to be. Party Tracks (and at least with meaningful substance).