JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J Slams Jay-Z for Age Comment

bigted

It seemed like LL put in quite a bit of effort into making this album even though it's only been a year and a half since his last release, this'd probably be better than most rappers' best albums, hell "10"'s probably better than most rappers' albums, LL Cool J is in a class of his own, he deserves to outsell all these overrated rappers, the lyrics/production is probably his most versatile since "G.O.A.T. The Greatest Of All The Time", "10" was versatile somewhat but not all the songs were quality, I did like "10 Million Stars", "Throw Ya L's Up", "Fa Ha", and "Big Mama"(Unconditional Love", most albums you can't find 5 great songs on them for real and that's his worst, lol, come on now, how could you doubt LL's consistantcey? If you appreciate all styles of hip-hop you gotta respect LL 'cause he makes songs about everything, that's why he's been so popular, Jay-Z seems to be concerned more with just having teeny bopper fanbase, that's why he left 'cause he's scared they'll think he's too old soon, but LL appeals to all ages, even if not that many teens get into him, he still got the older fans that're loyal to him...

Edited by bigted

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a teen but I like LL and Public Enemy! In fact my friends listen to KRS 1,Cypress Hill,Run-DMC and Eric B & Rakim, although you would expect rap listeners of my age to like G-Unit and stuff. I don't relly know anyone else in person other than me who feels Jigga so much lol.

Well I judged "The Definition" for what it was and the strength of the album as a whole but I think the top 5 on "10" is probably better than "The Definition" but it had quite a bit of filler in between that brought the scoring down, especially that awful "Lollipop" that's probably one of his worst, maybe that's where 50 got his idea for "Candyshop" from, lol, if it was cut down to 10 tracks like LL said it was gonna be originally, it might be 8.5/10 instead and a lil' bit more solid as a whole, "The Definition" was consistantly average except for a few tracks that were exceptional that brought the score up, btw you're rare ash trey when it comes to your taste in hip-hop, most kids I knew in school liked the radio crap, Jay-Z always got his videos high on TRL and 106 & Park so it's obvious that he has a large teen fanbase, he might've gained a few of his original fans back on "Black Album" but a lot of the pop stuff he done in between really alienated them, Jay needed to unite with Nas to gain credability, Nas was winning the war 'cause he was able to keep his original fans, people actually question why Nas would go with Jay though 'cause he was doing quite well on his own already

Edited by bigted

To be quite honest, I don't see what all the negative fuss is about LL's album. I heard most of it and sounds like a righteous 2006 album. I keep thinking, maybe Def Jam is just doing him a favor becuz he put them on the map. I'm sure had LL gone anywhere else, he'd a had just as much success.

And LL is just as right as he's ever been. Fans of hip hop should be interested in the middle age rapper, but not because of that very reason. There's people from our parents generation that still make music. If not new, they still perform what they've done. LL didn't slam Jay's comment. That's the media just trying for the ultimate attention. All he did was have a difference of opinion. Regardless, Jay-Z is still gonna get his lil piece of change outta LL for this album.

This situation is not complicated. If your a fan of LL, get the album.Or at least check it out. All this teens and their bad rap music needs to quit too. They'll realize soon enough.

I'm a teen but I like LL and Public Enemy! In fact my friends listen to KRS 1,Cypress Hill,Run-DMC and Eric B & Rakim, although you would expect rap listeners of my age to like G-Unit and stuff.

Same here, but I guess thats my fault. my freinds that do llisten to what I consider good Hip Hop listen to it caus of me. I brought theyr mind on things and let them hear things. But I know allot of kids that arent my friends who listen to G-Unit etc. all the time.

Yeah I gradually think that the teens will mature and be able to catch on to better music, I mean when I was 13 years old I use to listen to the radio a lot more, my tastes changed and I wanted to hear music with more substance and the same'll gradually happen to today's teens as they get older too and yes I think LL was originally planning to leave Def Jam after they didn't promote "G.O.A.T. Featuring James T. Smith, The Greatest Of All Time" that well but Russell Simmons who was the president still at the time of Def Jam along with Lyor Cohen gave him a deal that basically sets LL for life, he owns his entire catalog so that means he's getting a bigger profit than most artists on major labels get, you could buy any of LL's albums and he'll be getting a good profit from it, rarely any artists in the music industry have the kinda contract, that's Michael Jackson status, although LL seems to manage his money better, lol, so LL got no problems with Def Jam, as long as Jay don't mess with his contract I think it's all love, lol...

Edited by bigted

Its not really theyr fault too. I know this girl: I heardher talkin`about Hip Hop to one of her freinds, and she stardet about Eminem. She said that he is her fav caus he inst only like "Cars, clothes & hoes" but caus he also raps about what is going on in his life. Ofcourse I emidiatly thought like "he aint the only one that does that.." but I didnt say it. Anyway, What I`m trying to say is that allot of kids allready do look out for more substance nexyt to the parts stuff they also enjoy. But allot of kids aint into going on websites or they dont hacve family and freinds that unfluences them and show them good stuff, so they just stik too what they can find on Tv & Radio. Ofcourse you also have the ignorant kids, who could know bettre but they just dont get it.. But hey, thats in every part of life that way.

Edited by Turntable

Some kids do have respect for the older artists, Chuck D goes to give lectures at colleges and kids'll come up to him and have him autograph albums for them, btw I think all record labels are the same if you look at it, Def Jam ain't really that better than Interscope or Columbia, just 'cause Nas signed to Def Jam doesn't mean he's gonna sell 4 million all of a sudden, unless Jay and Kanye fans all jump on the Nas bandwagon, lol, he'll probably still do the same numbers that he did on Columbia for "Street's Disciple" and "God's Son" unless he completely changes his style to sound mainstream, which wouldn't be that good of an album though, he's better at the type of songs he makes right now, like I don't like that idea about Jay saying he's gonna take Nas to clubs and see what people like listening to then going to make the album, Nas has only been rapping for 15 years, he knows how to make good music already, he has over a million loyal fans already that appreciate his music, if that's the case then the next Nas album will be nothing but money, cash, and hoes which only teens will feel and the original fans'll feel alienated?! :kekeke:

Edited by bigted

It might be worse than "Nastradamous" though, he don't need to try to rap like 50 or those other pop rappers that they play in clubs, at least Jay gives LL creative freedom :paperbag:

Edited by bigted

Jay is making Nas look like a punk to quite a bit of people, I mean it's cool that they squashed the beefs but damn it's not like they gotta hold each others hands, Jay should give Nas his space to create...

I think it waz Flavour Flav who' said "every new school turns old school." So anyone knocking someone for being old school is a fool. After all, with out the old school, there would be no new school. Those doors would have never been opened 4 this newer guys. However, when i think of old school, i think of class, i think of fun, and i think of skillz. I can't see alot of the artists who have energed in the 90's and the 2000's as EVER being old school. They just did their thing in a different era. I could never see Jay-Z as old school. He lacks what the old school artists have/had. And when that whole flossing, bling bling crap dies away...he'll just be another 90's/00's artist.

People Change. Things Change.

Do you want Jay Z to be EXACTLY like KRS? PE? JJFP? He won't be. He's his own person. he does things his way. He's spit some really good tracks. Some really meaningful joints. Lets try to look past the Jigga What, and Dirt of Ya Shoulders(Which nboth, I like for what they are), and lets look into the Dead presidents, D'Evils, Feelin It, U don't Know, song Cry, Never Change, Renegade, Heart of the City, Momwnt of Clarity, Allure...The list goes on.....

The same Way Will Smith is himself, and does things his way, Jay Z is HIMSELF and oes things HIS way. HE doesn't do it just for money.

Edited by Vipa