JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J Slams Jay-Z for Age Comment

bigted

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Nastradamus was a bad album. It was just a different taste of what Nas could do. Same deal with Will Smith. Think, he was just a teen talking about how "Parents Just Don't Understand", now we've got a grown, parent asking "Tell Me Why", and talking about society's problems like many everyday people seem to do. It's a growing Will Smith. Not a stupid turned smart or a funny turned serious. Just a growing Will Smith. Even 50 Cent grows as an artist. It's not as evident or noteworthy to some people, but it's the truth. Even if it's "all about the money". It's 2006 and 50 Cent goes as far back as like '98-'99.

I feel you Vipa on Jay-Z. He can speak fairly relevant and capturing detail in his lyrics, and for it to be top of the head makes it that much more props giving. Jay-Z has his select just like any other artist. On 'Reasonable Doubt', you hear his hunger. On 'The Black Album', you hear his maturity. Just because 50 or Jay-Z get props or respect from me, doesn't they're amongst favorites or even my selected greats. It's just the way different people exist in Hip Hop/Rap Music.

I agree with AJ as never feeling Jay-Z as old school. Old school is probably classified as Hip Hop's beginnings. Like you said, it was different eras in Hip Hop. It's evident so even now.

Well I think it's more of a thing where fans turn on the artists rather than artists turning on fans, artists grow but it seems that the fans want an artist to sound the same all the time, and there's a lot of times that an artist gets dissed for turning pop by their original fans but that's not really a bad thing, you can't stay in a box as an artist, some people just wanna see LL battle other mcs but he uses his talent now more to make great songs and there's nothing wrong with that, I might've also been trippin' out too when I was saying that Jay helping Nas is a bad thing it actually could be a great thing, 2 talented minds coming together could create the ultimate album that a lot could enjoy and after all being pop means being popular, if a lot of people buy your music that should be a positive thing, some people just don't wanna see growth it seems, come people wanna see Nas and Jay stay distant and beef but coming together and making great music is something that could be even more special, and I think Jay will gradually change his point of view on there not being rappers at 40 'cause I'm sure when he's 40 he'll probably still have the desire to record, it was just an ignorant comment that he'll realise he was wrong about...

Some people probably look at Will the same way that some of us look at Jay or 50 and think that he only does it for the money but that's not true really 'cause music is something they've all been doing before they got record deals, and even if they never got another contract again they'd probably still do it, you can't please everybody though, there's millions out there that just do jobs for money and don't like what they're doing either so even if there is some rappers out there doing that, it's not like they're the only people in the world to act that way,and yeah it's hard to compare Public Enemy to groups of today 'cause times change and there's gonna be different types of groups today then there was back then, that's a part of life, hip-hop's a reflection of life, I'm not quite sure if it's growing for the better but it's definately evolving still 'cause it's the most popular music genre....

As much as I'd love to see kids be introduced by hip-hop to Rakim or Public Enemy, I gotta give recognition that those popular mcs like 50 Cent and Jay-Z introduce millions of them to hip-hop when they wouldn't check for it before and I think they'll look into other hip-hop artists when they get older, they'll want to hear more substance gradually and learn the history of the game beyond the radio, it's just like when Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer introduced millions of teenagers to hip-hop 15 years ago, gradually they'd check for other artists but if it wasn't for them selling 10 million when nobody else ever did before, maybe they wouldn't check out better artists like 2Pac, Snoop Dogg, Nas, and others that came after if those kids were never exposed to popular artists like Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer, they learned toeven check those who came out before Vanilla Ice and Hammer and learn the history of hip-hop if they still had interest in it, the game goes through cycles...

Edited by bigted

Well I think it's more of a thing where fans turn on the artists rather than artists turning on fans, artists grow but it seems that the fans want an artist to sound the same all the time, and there's a lot of times that an artist gets dissed for turning pop by their original fans but that's not really a bad thing, you can't stay in a box as an artist, some people just wanna see LL battle other mcs but he uses his talent now more to make great songs and there's nothing wrong with that, I might've also been trippin' out too when I was saying that Jay helping Nas is a bad thing it actually could be a great thing, 2 talented minds coming together could create the ultimate album that a lot could enjoy and after all being pop means being popular, if a lot of people buy your music that should be a positive thing, some people just don't wanna see growth it seems, come people wanna see Nas and Jay stay distant and beef but coming together and making great music is something that could be even more special, and I think Jay will gradually change his point of view on there not being rappers at 40 'cause I'm sure when he's 40 he'll probably still have the desire to record, it was just an ignorant comment that he'll realise he was wrong about...

Some people probably look at Will the same way that some of us look at Jay or 50 and think that he only does it for the money but that's not true really 'cause music is something they've all been doing before they got record deals, and even if they never got another contract again they'd probably still do it, you can't please everybody though, there's millions out there that just do jobs for money and don't like what they're doing either so even if there is some rappers out there doing that, it's not like they're the only people in the world to act that way,and yeah it's hard to compare Public Enemy to groups of today 'cause times change and there's gonna be different types of groups today then there was back then, that's a part of life, hip-hop's a reflection of life, I'm not quite sure if it's growing for the better but it's definately evolving still 'cause it's the most popular music genre....

As much as I'd love to see kids be introduced by hip-hop to Rakim or Public Enemy, I gotta give recognition that those popular mcs like 50 Cent and Jay-Z introduce millions of them to hip-hop when they wouldn't check for it before and I think they'll look into other hip-hop artists when they get older, they'll want to hear more substance gradually and learn the history of the game beyond the radio, it's just like when Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer introduced millions of teenagers to hip-hop 15 years ago, gradually they'd check for other artists but if it wasn't for them selling 10 million when nobody else ever did before, maybe they wouldn't check out better artists like 2Pac, Snoop Dogg, Nas, and others that came after if those kids were never exposed to popular artists like Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer, they learned toeven check those who came out before Vanilla Ice and Hammer and learn the history of hip-hop if they still had interest in it, the game goes through cycles...

Couldnt say it better. Thats just how I think. :word:

Looks like this did it's purpose in getting all of us to talk about this like it's supposed to be LL vs. Jay here, maybe we should spread it around the net and it'll increase LL's album sales since people love beef so much... :kekeke: :stickpoke:

I love "Contol Myself." The old school "Planet Rockish" beat along with LL's "Going Back To Cali" flow is brilliant 2 me. All that wrapped up in a song 4 the clubs and Jennifer Lopez on the hook. It's just a dope song for the clubs and the radio. It's the only song on his album like that. And all of my friends are feelin' it 2...so he's doing something right. I can't blame of the song's success on Jay-Z...it's all LL, baby.

Yeah LL had creative freedom on this album, he knows how to make music that a lot of people could feel, with sales of 120,000 in the first week and a steady string of singles that could be released off this album he'll be hanging another platinum plaque on his wall soon, btw anybody watch "Blueprint: LL Cool J" on BET last night? I was able to only see a few minutes, I hope to catch the re-run to see the whole thing...

what was the blueprint show about cause i live in the uk.....if its interesting i wonder if anyone has it ripped

oh and i just picked up Todd Smith 2 days ago, and i have been listening to it ever since....its such a good album, i like these type of LL songs better than the ones on the definition...i didnt like that album at all, that was too much for the clubs. but what people need to realise is that LL is past the stage of using his battling rap style like on MSKYO and GOAT, and at his age won't be making another album like that unless jay-z wants to beef with him...which he wont btw. Todd Smith has really got more harder sounding tracks as well in the form of Its LL & Santana, and What You Want, but what i like about this album is that he has the beats (Trackmasters came through again) and he has a real laidback flow which reminds me of his Loungin remix and aint nobody and songs like that.

I love this album man!!! the best tracks to me are Best Dress w/ jamie foxx, Favourite Flavor w/ Mary J, Down The Aisle w/ 112, Ive Changed w/ Ryan Toby, Preserve The Sexy w/ Teairra Mari, Ooh Wee w/ Ginuwine...........AHH HELL I LIKE THE WHOLE ALBUM!!!!!!!

except for the last dance remix of control yourself which sucks

Edited by The Definition

I think the rap industry is too afraid to call out LL after what he's done to his competition, their short lived careers will be cut short earlier than expected :stickpoke: "Blueprint: LL Cool J" was a show where LL sat down with Big Tigger and chatted about his career and he performed a few of his hits like "Luv U Better" and "Doin' It", he said something interesting about battling about how a lot of these rappers today come off as corny when they beef with each other, they take it too personal, he thinks that rappers should just leave it on the mic and not run around like I'm gonna wreck his car 'cause he dissed me on a song, that'd be great if some of those wack rappers took him to heart and called him out for that and he finishes them off, that's just like he said on "We Gonna Make It", "We need less fake rappers and more real pastors", that could be a subliminal to Mase but he'd be too scared to call LL out for that, that'd be incredible though if Mase'd make a song about LL and LL could just finish Mase and the entire G Unit with just a few bars, that's all it'd take, I think that's something hip-hop heads would be looking forward too, 50 got love for LL so he'll make sure Mase won't do that, lol

Edited by bigted

I stoped tha hatin`about Mase. I used to think it was wack the he went from pastoro to gangsta.. But than I realized that he actauly was "murda Mase" before. I guess that clean stuff was a phase, and he realized it doesnt work for him after a while.. And I heard a coupld of Mase tracks on G-Unit, and they where pretty cool. Aggresiv, ruff, but not wack like the usual G-Unit stuff.

Mase basically caved under pressure just to try to be more popular but those hardcore rap fans ain't gonna take him back again, he would run around in interviews and say that he was immature in the past doing that gangsta stuffand now he goes back to it 'cause his album flopped, that'd be like KRS putting a gun on all of his album covers instead of progressing,

where's the integrity at? He needs to learn to practice what he preaches, Mase don't seem to thinkthat way, he hasn't matured,Fabolous is ripping the crap out of him right now btw

Edited by bigted