JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

JJFP fans Feeling any Pain?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:word: To Julie there, I never get the hype about him either, Jay-Z is the most popular in recent years, that's why MTV puts him at #1, he's the popular choice, but in reality there ain't much special about his albums except for a couple in between, to me he only has 3 classics: "Reasonable Doubt", "Hard Knock Life", and his last "Black Album", "Blueprint" is overrated there's no question, to me it has as much fillers as LL's worst album "10" and nobody calls that classic right after the moment LL got Canibus dropped from his label so why should they call "Blueprint" classic especially since Nas burned him at the time? Jay knows what's up though, he called LL be the best mc in hip-hop when he dropped "10" so obviously he knows that LL's a better mc than him, he should just come out and say it again,lol, To me that'swhy he's retired'cause he probably realised it's hard to keep going,

he buys into the media's perception that only young rappers could make music, but music could be made by all ages that's why Will, LL, and Chuck D are the greatest 'cause they live for the love of the game, even if they get criticised for being old, they do it 'cause they love to do it,

why not go out when everybody loves him he figures I guess, but that's a coward to me 'cause if you're a real artist you keep going even if you get criticised,he's not that consistant to me, most of his albums are between good, bad, and ugly,quite a fewof his albums sound rushed, maybe if Will released albums every year and went multi platinum for 5-6 straight years like Jay-Z they'd mention him at #1 instead even if 3 of those 5 albums were like "Born To Reign" quality, Will does a good job taking his time though in my opinion, MTV is more like what have you done lately rather than what you've done in your whole career, that's why they don't recognise legendary mcs like Kool Moe Dee and Kurtis Blow 'cause they don't rap anymore but so many mcs took their styles and ran with it to get fame so credit should be given where it's due,but it's better they put him at #1 instead of 50 Cent or Nelly though, they could've easily have done that 'cause they're also popular choices at the moment...

Edited by bigted

:word: To Julie there, I never get the hype about him either, Jay-Z is the most popular in recent years, that's why MTV puts him at #1, it's better they put him at #1 instead of 50 Cent or Nelly though...

YEA YEA!

Ted just spat out 50 cent in an Greatest MC thread... Tsk tsk! :rofl:

Well it wouldn't surprise me one bit if 50 Cent was mentioned at #1, after all isn't this the same channel that plays his videos all day? I think there's way too much hate for 50, sure "The Massacre" was garbage but it's not like all Jay-Z' albums were perfect either, his first album "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" is a solid album, if he could put out more albums like that he could gain more respect as mc and believe me if he starts putting out better albums all the rap fans will be putting him up there with Jay-Z, some songs on "Get Rich Or Die Trying" soundtrack actually show that he's gonna step up his game on his next album, he needs to just make music and stop dissin' everybody if he wants respect... But anyway MTV don't have credability for judging real mcs especially if they don't play much of them, I mean when was the last time they played a KRS-ONE video? He still makes videos but they don't play them, "Lost and Found", MTV is Lost....

Edited by bigted

To me, musicaly, ist stiil to early to jude MC`s like Eminem and 50 Cent. They can be annyoing, caus theyr trash album is everywhere.. but you gotta remeber they didnt make that much stuff yet, it could be that they`ll release great albums in the future.. Every great had his weak spots (Like Nas with Nastradamus, Will with Borne To Reign etc), but they didnt get that hype so they didnt annoy with it..

About Jay-Z. He`s is a a very good Mc, no doubt. His flow is very good and he has a feeling for beats. An he is a good buisines man. I think this list wanst made on material, but only on talent I guess.. So they dont judge the mc looking at theyr material. Still I dont think Jay-Z should be number one, he should be pretty high, but not number on-, Infact I think he also should be under MC`s like Fat Joe, Dmx etc.

"Rap on a whole isn't even 30 years old/50 years down the line you could start this/By then we'll be the ol' school artists" is what KRS-ONE said on "My Philosophy" I think and it's so true, the history of rap is still being written, it's too early to tell who's really the greatest, if the artists' music could stand the test of time, that's what would make them be the top ones, it's far too early to tell...