3. Notorious B.I.G.

4. Rakim

5. Nas

6. KRS-One

7. Big Daddy Kane

8. Ice Cube

9. Eminem

10. LL Cool J

Not a bad list considering it was MTV, I figure that they'd mention 50 Cent, Bow Wow, and Kanye, it's quite shocking that they mention KRS and Kane on there since most MTV fans don't know who they are :stickpoke: Of course like usual no mention of our beloved Fresh Prince and there's no pioneers before 1985 mentioned like Run-Dmc, Kool Moe Dee, or Kurtis Blow :tantrum:

Edited by bigted

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to differ saying that Nas is too low, Nas is probably in my top 5 favorites so #5 is a great ranking for him, in fact it's debatable if he's better than KRS, Big Daddy Kane, Ice Cube, and LL, it's hard to compare different styles/eras but all of them should be in the top 10, and of course Eminem's the most overrated mc ever, there's no way he should be in the same sentence as those legends but MTV had to put at least one popular rapper on there at least to please their audience, now if you replaced him with Will the list'd be almost flawless, there's no perfect list that everyone'd agree on, so many legendary mcs deserve due that never get it

Edited by bigted

Alright, I'm gonna go against Ted, hopefully it works out, I don't see how you could say Eminem is one of the most overated rappers of all time. Is it just cuz he raps in a different style than you like Ted? Because Eminem is a genious at lyricism and has some of the best wordplay I've ever seen.

I gotta agree with tha Ted. Its a good list, except for Eminem there is no one in there that doesnt deserve to be in there (If you look objective at what they can, insteed of looking at what you like).

You cant have an objective view on whats good and whats bad. Impossible.

Personally I would like to remove Biggie, Jay-Z, Nas, Ice Cube, Eminem and LL Cool J and put in FP, Slick Rick, Melle Mel, Caz, Cowboy and Andre 3000.

Eminem's style is definately the most annoying thing about him to me, there's many mcs with as much/more skills than him that put better content in their songs, it's not like he don't have any skills, he rapped with some heart in the beginning of his career I'll give him that but I think the last couple albums just shows that he's a slave to the biz and for MTV to call "Eminem Show" classic loses all credability for them, a real mc always puts their emotion into their rhymes, there's not an mc out there that has a flawless catalog of perfect albums either though let's be real but the thing that seperates the legends from the rest is that they always make songs from the heart and I just don't feel that from Eminem and a lot of today's rappers, most of them don't seem to do that much at all so like I mentioned earlier at least Eminem gets credit for doing that earlier in his career but I wouldn't consider him the greatest then either, I'll give him credit for that and leave it alone 'cause bashing Eminem in posts is getting played out now, basically he needs to come back and redeem himself if he wants a chance to be called a legend, he's not putting his skills to good use right now, at the end of the day though it's like who cares about these lists anyway, it's not like MTV has much credability these days anyway playing the same damn song all day with payola schemes, lol, everybody who buys albums from their favorite rappers are always gonna want to see them on top, real recognises real, hip-hop heads will always respect the true artists of the game even if the media don't

Edited by bigted

I dont think that FP deserves to be a top #5 MC. Its right when ppl say that he doesnt write all of his stuff and that he had a lot of garbage tracks (lyrically). for example almost the whole B2R album. Album fillers in all albums from the 90s and the 2k era.

And he hasnt got the status to be a top #5 MC. he dont get the props he deserve and the street creditibility.

he's surely MY #1 MC but not in general in the eyes of the hiphop community all over the world. he just didnt bring the effort in the last years. maybe he was back in the 80s but not anymore.

Well the thing is that most of those rappers on that list were battle mcs, Will didn't really battle anybody in his career and I think that's the thing that might have the media sleep on his mc skills 'cause there's a lot of focus on battles, and there's not an mc out there that has made nothing but perfect songs in their careers either, most rappers actually only have a handful of great songs that they're known for, for example Nas' "Nastradamous" is probably just as weak as Will's "Born To Reign" but that don't hurt his status, "Encore" should actually be putting Eminem on the worst mc list it was so bad not only for the wack rhymes but he didn't rap with any heart on that album either, I mean "Born To Reign" still has soul even though it wasn't Will's best work, and a lot of rappers have had ghostwriters in their careers and they still get recognition, I mean MTV made a list a couple years ago and had Puffy and Dr. Dre in their top 10s and they don't write ****, a lot of people love Kanye but Rhymefest wrote his biggest song "Jesus Walks" so to put Will down for ghostwriters is just a part of hating, Will's wrote most of his rhymes in his career, a hell lot more than those 3 have done combined, lol...

Will's image is basically the thing that hurts him the most though when it comes to the media, if they actually listen to the albums it's hard to deny his skills, it's just that he don't curse in his rhymes, if he rapped about hustling like Jay-Z he'd be in MTV's top 5 if not number one, that's not a knock to Jay but Will's got as much cadence and rhyme ability that Jigga has but people look at image more than anything, if you think about it there's a lot of rappers out now making hustlin' songs like Jay-Z but there's not any credible rappers that make clean cut songs that Will does, Wyclef was hot for a while but people sleep on him too now, he's not a hardcore rapper like most famous rappers are known for, that's why a lot of the pioneers get slept on too 'cause they didn't make hardcore music then, Will actually stayed true the most to the essence of hip-hop 'cause it started off as feel good music, before 1990 there wasn't much hardcore rap but now everybody's hardcore, hip-hop has changed so much over the years and it wouldn't be realistic to say Will's the G.O.A.T. since he's the only one out that don't curse in his rhymes, individualism don't get celebrated in the rap game it seems, Will's a unique mc, and to say Will don't bring effort anymore is a joke, it's like he just made one of the strongest albums of his career and in hip-hop in recent years in "Lost and Found" almost 20 years after he started, most rappers don't even make it that far, what has Big Daddy Kane done lately? If they could rank him in there for what he's done 20 years ago, why can't they mention Will who's still going strong today? How many albums does Will have to release to get recognition from the media, 50?!!! Will expanded this platform, that's what he should get respect for, if he retired or died right now, he should be celebrated for what's he's done already!!! It's not like Eminem's gonna be able to put out a strong album in 2020 either the way he's burned out now already, lol, there also seems to be a dead rapper bias too, it's like Biggie and 2Pac wouldn't be so ranked high now if they were still alive now, Coolio and Warren G were about as popular then but where are they ranked now? If LL was dead 15 years ago he'd be ranked #1, that's why I think these lists are corny, **** that list, Kool Moe Dee put Will at #23 on his top 50 list and he leaves Eminem out of his list, Will does get a lot of love worldwide too from hip-hop fans, his albums sold over 30 million worldwide in 20 years, he has fans from all generations, real recognises real, if MTV wants credability they'll play the film for Kool Moe Dee's "There's A God On The Mic" when it comes out

Edited by bigted

MTV knows nothing about Hip-Hop or Rap. VH-1 does a much better job with that kinda stuff. The list isn't as awful as it could be. I'd only keep 5 of those artists in it tho.' The other 5 don't even deserve 2 be in the top 50.

Yeah I really don't think the list is as bad as it could be, I was just implying that just 'cause FP wasn't mentioned on the list doesn't mean that he don't deserve to be, MTV don't really give that many pioneers the props they deserve anymore, VH1 does cover hip-hop history much better these days, I think that documentary they've done on hip-hop and the Hip-Hop Honors shows are just way more on point than what emptv has done, I'm just happy that they at least mentioned KRS and Big Daddy Kane and didn't put Dre and Puffy again, you can't expect much from emptv so don't take it too seriously, btw we could all send them emails saying that Fresh Prince should be mentioned, somebody already left feedback for him already, some people leave some really good lists btw:

http://www.mtv.com/news/youtellus/hip_hop/

"Where is the MC who has been around since day one, the man who won the first rap Grammy? Yes, I'm talking about the Fresh Prince himself. Show Will Smith some love.

Brian, 25

West Greenwich, RI"

Edited by bigted

MTV knows nothing about Hip-Hop or Rap. VH-1 does a much better job with that kinda stuff. The list isn't as awful as it could be. I'd only keep 5 of those artists in it tho.' The other 5 don't even deserve 2 be in the top 50.

:word: VH1 is a lot better when it comes to hip hop shows like this. There are a few artists that deserve to be on that list tho.