JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Bow Wow Ends Beef With Will Smith

http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines/20..._why_he_top_mc/

Bow Wow Ends Feud With Will Smith, Explains Why He Considers Himself a Top MC

By: Mark Lelinwalla

April 6, 2006

Bow Wow endured a lot of criticism from the media and hip hop fans for aligning himself with the top MCs in rap and the controversial remarks he made about Will Smith in an issue of XXL Magazine months ago.

Print

Email

Comment (6) However, all Bow Wow wants is his fans and the media to be clear about he and Smith and why he felt like he was among the best three MCs in hip hop at the time of his comments.

Bow Wow explained his comments in XXL, in which he said Smith "isn't a real rapper" and was "more of a bubblegum rapper."

"I'm going to be the first person to tell you this, but me and Will Smith had a sit down talk, eye-to-eye," Bow Wow told Vibe.com exclusively Wednesday (April 5). "Me and him (Smith) talked for like 30 minutes in my trailer and we worked it out. We walked out the trailer laughing, cracking up like crazy and that whole thing is deaded."

Bow Wow, who's responsible for the smash single "Fresh Azimiz", cites the truce with Smith as an important step of growing as not only an artist, but a man.

"That's me growing up learning a lot of things," he said. "I felt like it was only right as a man now, looking at me that I talk to another man eye-to-eye, instead of keep going on with the hoopla, so I called Will Smith myself and I respected him for even coming to meet."

Bow Wow also went on to say that he and Smith reached an understanding and hit it off to the point in which the different generation hip hop stars even talked about movie scripts.

With that situation patched up Bow Wow proceeded to explain his other controversial remarks. The young prince of hip hop told XXL in the same issue that, "The only real rappers out there right now are me, Kanye, 50 and maybe Jay (As in Jay-Z, the President of Def Jam)."

In hindsight, Bow Wow insists that his comments shouldn't be taken as a knock to other notable hip hop artists and that he was among the aforementioned group of MCs in the main spotlight at the time.

"I had just got off tour about to go do another tour, 50 was doing Get Rich or Die Trying, he was still hot, and Kanye had just dropped the College Dropout and when he did that I was still on The Scream Tour," Bow Wow told Vibe.com. "I wasn't downplaying my other hip hop peers- Ludacris will always be hot, Snoop is going to always be hot and I respect everybody in hip hop, but at that particular moment that's what I was really talking about. I'm not saying I'm the best ever, can't no nobody touch me, but I was just really giving myself props and the people that were on the TV every three, four, five seconds.

"Every time I would turn on the tube and at that particular time it was myself, 50 and Kanye West and that's all that I was saying."

Bow Wow's Wanted album is available in stores now.

Edited by bigted

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

In those statements I dont see Bow Wow talking about how he was wrong..I dont see him saying Will is a legend..and at the end he talked about films not music.. If he thinks hes a man for just talkin with Will hes a bigger idiot than I thought..

Thats pretty big of him to call Will to have a talk with him! How I would have loved to of been a fly on the wall in that trailer. I guess thats a lesson learned for Bow Wow. He can't go shooting off his mouth disrespecting the person who made it possible to be where he is today!

Thats pretty big of him to call Will to have a talk with him! How I would have loved to of been a fly on the wall in that trailer. I guess thats a lesson learned for Bow Wow. He can't go shooting off his mouth disrespecting the person who made it possible to be where he is today!

Yeah but Brakes... the way I see it is that Bow Wow called this meeting for his benefit only... I mean what has Will/anyone else gained from it - nothing!

Bowwow knew Will would be cool with him... he always is with people...

That goes to show you how much of a nice guy Will is, most rappers'd probably just hang up the phone if Bow Wow called them :stickpoke: I think Bow Wow saw the light at the Kids Choice Awards seeing how much the kids loved Will when he won :1-eek: btw, I heard that Master P was ripping the lil' punk's ass backstage at the Kids Choice Awards, lol, I seriously think that he's talking out of his ass too about Will wanting to do a movie with him, lol

Edited by bigted

Interesting article. I agree with Brakes about wanting to be a fly on the wall, that would have been interesting. Its nice to see Bow Wow trying to do something. Of course, if he hadn't been criticized for doing it in the first place, he probably wouldn't have, but whatever.

I either don't believe a word Bow Wow says or know that he don't know what he's talking about. I'm going to paraphrase my dude Doug Funnie as he said to Roger Klotz.

"If you were funny, you wouldn't have to laugh at your own jokes."

Well, Bow Wow, if you were really any good, you wouldn't have to give yourself props. Now deal with that. He's a joke.

Still Bow Wow didnt admit he was wrong for what he said. And I believe the phone call and the meeting with WS was just for Bow Wow.. Cause he realized that WS has a lot of power...he had to learn the hard way by his own fans putting him down along with other MC's. He did it so he could get ppl off his back. WS is such a nice man..He went to meet the mutt even tho he really didnt have to. I think either Bow Wow is lying about a movie wit Will or Will said it in a joking way like "Yeah man, me and u should do a movie sumtime *hehehe*"

I'm going to paraphrase my dude Doug Funnie as he said to Roger Klotz.

"If you were funny, you wouldn't have to laugh at your own jokes."

Well, Bow Wow, if you were really any good, you wouldn't have to give yourself props. Now deal with that. He's a joke.

Doug was awesome! I haven't seen that in YEARS!!

:word: Bow Wow is basically just crying out for attention the way I see it, no matter what he says it don't change the fact that he's wack, basically he's the only one saying he's one of the best out, that's right he's garbage like 98% the other rappers on TV, lol, btw Doug was one of my favorites when I was growing up too, I taped basically every episode when it was on, I might have to bring out some of those tapes, lol

Edited by bigted