JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What some critics think....

Some critics have said that Lost and Found contains a lot of songs that relate to Will Smith's bitterness in the rap game.

I am just wondering what Will Smith Fan's have to say about this.

Everyone knows that Sex Drugs and Violence sells nowadays... but do you think Will Smith has some bitterness for others enjoying the success while people like He sit in the shadows?

IF i find the the review, i'll post it.

I don't think Will is bitter but at the same time like most real hip-hop heads he just doesn't like the direction that corporate America has corrupted the image of hip-hop by not supporting the mcs that spread a positive message

I do think that Will does have some bitterness because people hear his songs, but they don't really undersatnd the messages and stuff. I think he wants to have the image of being a good rapper as opposed to actor, because a lot of people say "The actor Will Smith." as opposed to "The rapper Will Smith."

Well Lost & Found is just the same old Big Will music but on a new level.. already in BWS Will was rapping more of a defense speak than about how good he was and I think he is a bit tired of that he have to take that to a new level.. so he just finish off the defense speak with this album and then goes back to doing the attacking and confident music JJFP did :)

Yeah there's quite a few 'Big Willie' fun songs on that album too, he wasn't serious on every song to make you think that he's bitter

Edited by bigted

Will aint bitter. Will`s is Hollywoods number 1 guy, one of the top selling Mc`s who gets respect and freindship from fat Joe and 50 Cent till Jay-Z and LL Cool J. And he won an AMA won best male performer. Maybe he ain that happy with Hip Hop right now, but he cant think that bad of it. He`s working with T.I. and is friends with 50.. And he lounged with Kanye etc.

Edited by Turntable

Yeah if he was making no money from acting he'd be trying to battle some of the new rappers out now like KRS-ONE does, the time he'd use to be studying scripts he'd then use on sitting by the radio writing a diss verse to every new rapper he heard :lolsign:

Edited by bigted

Amazon.com

50 Cent may have survived gunfire and gang fights but Will Smith remains the ultimate Teflon rapper. Nothing gets to him - not shifts in popular culture and taste. Not dipping record sales. Not even looming middle age. He's still happy playing the dopey, clean-cut "Fresh Prince of Bel Air," turning out Sesame Street rhymes over Playskool beats while remaining unaffected by the world outside. He deserves credit for standing his ground ("I never write verses with curses," he declares at one point), but not for making an album that is, by turns, bitter ("Mr. Niceguy"), self-righteous ("Could You Love Me") and downright egomaniacal ("Here He Comes"). Guests like Timbaland, Snoop Dogg and DJ Jazzy Jeff offer little direction. --Aidin Vaziri

You can't help but respect Will Smith for continuing to make Will Smith albums -- street cred be damned -- and maintaining a semi-frequent release schedule, despite his more lucrative and demanding movie career. More than ever, despite all the hits he has racked up since the late '80s, it seems like Smith is an actor who happens to record every now and then, rather than a rapper who acts or even an actor/rapper. His previous album, 2002's Born to Reign, fell short of gold-level sales by some distance. That disappointment, combined with some blows he has taken from harder rappers and radio personalities, has made him a little bitter. This is one of the factors that makes Lost and Found the least party-oriented album Smith has made, despite a generous supply of the lighthearted, humorous songs you're accustomed to hearing from him. On "I Wish I Made That," he jokes about adopting more of a street persona in order to gain some respect ("Just ig'nant, attackin', actin' rough/I mean, then, will I be black enough?"), knowing full well that he'll always be thought of as, well, Will Smith. Smacks are dealt to a hypocritical (but not hypothetical) born-again Christian, as well as pretty much any larger than life MC riding high on the charts. "Tell Me Why" -- in the vein of Jadakiss' "Why," only far more dramatic, with Mary J. Blige on board to expected good effect -- is the most sobering song he has written, expressing how difficult it can be to explain the ugly aspects of the world to a child. Some of the playful songs are as joyously boisterous and willfully corny as anything in Smith's past, making Lost and Found an entertaining and thoughtful album for young kids and their parents to listen to and talk about. ~ Andy Kellman, All Music Guide

Edited by dkny2kx

To me it seems kinda hypokrit to make an Album about taking beef not that serious, when you do things like that..

You know what I think it is with KRS, I think he sees that Nas-Jay-Z are getting a lot of attention for publicly squashing beef so now he wants to do the same here with Marley Marl to be relevant again, you know what though I wouldn't mind if squashing beef becomes a popular thing in hip-hop, beef is getting boring, btw there was far many more positive reviews for "Lost and Found" than there was criticism, Will got a lot of love for this album by the critics, stop focusing on the negativity man

Edited by bigted

Bitter? I doubt it. Frustrate? Probably

Amazon.com

He's still happy playing the dopey, clean-cut "Fresh Prince of Bel Air," turning out Sesame Street rhymes over Playskool beats while remaining unaffected by the world outside.

I love the smell if egnance in the morning.