JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

KRS-ONE and Marley Marl Record Album Together

bigted

One-Time Rivals Marley Marl And KRS-One Record Album

By Houston Williams

Date: 3/30/2006 5:45 pm

KRS-One and DJ Marley Marl will sonically end one of the most infamous and revered beefs in Hip-Hop history. The pair intends to drop a new album on Koch Records.

Both were involved in a long-running dispute after Marley Marl and MC Shan recorded the seminal 1985 record, "The Bridge," an ode to Queensbridge, New York.

South Bronx MC KRS-One, backed by Boogie Down Productions, took offense to the song, which some say implies that Hip-Hop started in Queens.

KRS-One shot back with "South Bronx," claiming the South Bronx as the true birthplace of Hip-Hop.

Several other dis records were released at the height of the battle, including MC Shan's "Kill That Noise" and KRS One's "The Bridge Is Over."

With the saturation of beef in the Hip-Hop market, Marley said that he wanted to make a definitive statement to the youth.

Marley stated that the process of recording this album with KRS-One started simply.

"It all happened with one phone call," Marley Marl told AllHipHop.com. "They called me and he jumped on the phone and told me it would be spectacular for Hip-Hop."

As a producer, Marley Marl has helped launch the careers of Hip-Hop talents like the Juice Crew's Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Master Ace, Craig G, Roxanne Shante and MC Shan, among others.

Additionally, Marley resuscitated LL Cool J's career when he produced "Mama Said Knock You Out" and hit it big producing early hits for R&B group TLC.

"My reason for doing this is to show these kids that [Hip-Hop beefs] are not that serious," he concluded.

The Queensbridge legend further stated that KRS-One was still laying vocals, but he was extremely excited to be working with his one-time rival. "He's finishing up his portion. It's gonna be crazy," Marley stated. "We got sick beats."

The untitled album is slated to hit stores this summer.

Wow, this is gonna be good!! But the whole point of the album is really silly. "Kids" aren't gonna know they are. Either way, this is definitly a project worth checking out. We got the best of both worlds from the old school on the same record. That's amazing. I wish MC Shan would jump on a track.

It sounds like a great idea but I'm afraid it might be 10-15 years too late 'cause they ain't that popular anymore and most kids don't even know who they are sadly so it'll be hard for this album to make an impact like they want it too, btw if Jay-Z really wants to save hip-hop he should sign them to Def Jam and they could release the album there and their message will be heard by more peeps than being on Koch but ultimately though most contemporary fans still won't be able to relate to hip-hop beef not being serious unless KRS squashes his beef with Nelly and they do something together

Edited by bigted

Oh lawd...don't even say such a thing.

I know as sad as that might sound for you to hear Nelly and KRS do a track together I think it'd be something that'd get the current rap fans to pay attention to the message that beef ain't serious 'cause all the kids who listen to Nelly'd pay attention to it, that'd be a way for KRS to draw in a younger audience too more than it'd be with Marley Marl and KRS doing this collab album that only the older fans on the most part are gonna check for, not many younger fans even know who they are in the first place so how is that message gonna get to the youth? Think about it man, it'd be a great thing for hip-hop, it'll bridge the gap between ol' school and new school hip-hop fans who always seem to be on the opposite side of the fence, but then again people only seem to pay attention when rappers beef so that might not work either, lol, the main thing is that as long as KRS and Nelly don't diss each other anymore it's all good 'cause we don't need generations to be beefing with each other...

The funny thing about KRS is that he started his career just like a lot of these rappers do today by dissing the most popular rap artists out which is what he did when he made "South Bronx" dissing Juice Crew, basically other rappers followed along with that trend when they started their careers but I guess KRS is finally putting his ego to the side here working with Marley Marl, maybe at least some current rappers might take heed to this especially if they drop some classic material here, artists working together is the best thing for hip-hop, beef is getting tiredsome, KRS and Marley Marl should put on rappers on their album as guests that beefed with each other on there like Nas and Jay-Z, Ice-T amd LL, maybe even Will and Eminem, but I guess that'd be like hell freezing over if there was that much love in hip-hop, lol...

Edited by bigted