JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

PUBLIC ENEMY + PARIS - REBIRTH OF A NATION

Let me start off by saying this is NOT "Public Enemy featuring Paris"...it's Paris featuring Public Enemy. I have Paris' 1st album...and "Days of Old" is one of my favorite songs. Otherwise, i think he's pretty average and i haven't cared 2 follow his stuff since. His production on this album is good...but i think the sound is 2 clean for PE. PE typically has something in the rough in their beats. With New Whirl Oder, u get the PE sound...but i don't think Paris provides PE with the right sound. It's not commerical, it's just 2 clean in my opinion (if that makes sense). Like recent PE albums, Flavour Flav kinda takes the back seat on the project. I wish he was on the album more. Chuck D isn't even on every track. And the guests on the album are more from Paris' connections...not PE's. I've always thought Kam waz dope...but if Paris put him on the album just cuz he's cool with him, it makes me wonder how much control PE had on this album. The thing that really killed it 4 me is that Paris wrote most of the lyrics. Come on!! Chuck D is one of the most intellegent and vocal emcees of all time but Paris waz writing his rhymes!?!?!?! That's the stupidest thing ever. Chuck D only wrote 4 of the trax on the album...at least that's what the album credits say.

Is the album good...yes. Is it a PE album...not totally. Paris proudced the whole thing, put on the guests he wanted, and wrote almost all of the album. In my opinion, get New While Oder b4 u pick this up. I gotta say that i'm kinda disappointed witht his project.

I made a Thread about this alnum allready. But nevermind, its very a very good album. Better than NWO I think.

Oh and dont get crazy caus Paris wrote it or caus its build up on his concetions. That was the whole point of the project. Chuck explains it in the booklet. :stickpoke:

Edited by Turntable

Yeah this does seem more like a Paris feat. Public Enemy album rather than the other way around, Chuck D said in an interview that he was too busy to have time to be able to write this album so he asked Paris to write lyrics for this album, it was supposed to be an experiment album that he wanted to do with Paris 'cause he has a lot of respect for him and he said he'd do the project with nobody else 'cause he's probably his closest friend in the industry, I think it was done to help Paris get some shine since he's been slept on for years, Chuck was trying to help him out here, btw I'm sure you wouldn't mind if Kel Spencer wrote all of one of Will's albums if he dropped albums every six months, cut Chuck D some slack man, he's one of the hardest working cats in the rap game constantly touring and doing lectures and radio shows...

I agree that "New Whirl Odor" is much better and I'm hoping that the next album "How You Sell Your Souls To Souless People" is gonna be better than "Rebirth Of A Nation", Chuck D said that it's gonna be a regular PE album and he'll write all the lyrics for it so it should be better

Edited by bigted

:word: btw, there's gonna be some Public Enemy shows in Australia next month, just in case Tim or if anyone else on the board is from there and're interested:

Public Enemy Returns To OZ Tour 55

April 7 St James Theatre/Auckland

April 8 West Coast Blues & Roots/Perth

April 9 Metro/Perth

April 10 off

April 11 Adelaide Thebarton Theatre/Adelaide

April 12 Enmore Theatre/Sydney

April 13 The Palace Nightclub/Melbourne

April 14 East Coast Blues & Roots/Byron Bay

April 15 The Arena/Brisbane

April 16 East Cost Blues & Roots/Byron Bay

What about Europe? Could you plz tell me if you get to know something about it?

Oh, and AJ. I get your thoughts about the production. But thats probably the reason that I like this Album better than some of the others. Caus sometimes allot of PE`s beats tend to drive my crazy.

Well I saw that tour schedule on the publicenemy.com homepage, I think they did a few shows in Europe last November, I remember seeing something back then saying that they did some shows there, yeah I think some of the beats were a bit more laid back than your typical PE sound but they're dope though, Paris is definately one of the most underrated producers

Edited by bigted

I hope this is better than New Whirl Odor, I liked that album at the time, but I have no desire to listen to it again. It showed PE at their tiredest. This Paris one is fresh. Don't get caught up in the damn statistics..."oh Paris has 3 solo tracks, Chuck isn't on 4 of them, Flavor's only on 6, Griff's only on one" who cares? Just listen to the whole thing through and see how it sounds. Don't get caught in the statistics of it, get caught up in the sound ballistics! Boo ya

I'm not keeping score...bottom line, it's just not PE. Which is disappointing 2 me. And i'm actually fine with Prof. Griff not being that involved. He just never stood out 2 me. I'm missing so many PE albums tho' that i should just suck it up and pick up the ones i've missed.

I think both albums are dope but "New Whirl Odor" is better to me...