JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

SUPERMAN TORCH PASSED

I got this from AOL News. Just thought i'd share...

-----------------------------------------------

'Superman' Torch Is Passed

Guy Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

LOS ANGELES (March 16) — Midway through the filming of Superman Returns, star Brandon Routh received an envelope in the mail. It contained two pendants and a letter. The pendants, each emblazoned with a red S, said simply, "Go Forward."

The note from Dana Reeve, the widow of Superman Christopher Reeve, said much the same thing.

"She said she thought I'd be a good Superman," says Routh, 26, best known for a guest role on Gilmore Girls. "She wished me luck. I can't tell you what that was like to get her blessing. I was nervous, because I had never heard from the family, and it's frightening trying to fill Christopher Reeve's shoes."

But Routh will attempt just that as Superman swoops into theaters June 30 with more than just a $180 million budget on its shoulders.

The film, which is enjoying one of the most pronounced marketing campaigns at the ShoWest convention of theater owners in Las Vegas, carries the hope of a lucrative summer at the box office — and expectations that people will get excited about going to the movies again.

For Routh and director Bryan Singer, there's also a personal stake in the film doing well.

"From comic books to radio to TV to the movies, everyone knows this character," says Singer, who also is doing a documentary on the history of Superman. "And they have an idea of who he should be. Those can be big expectations."

Routh realized just how awesome when he received the Superman tags from the Christopher Reeve Foundation, an organization that promotes research on paralysis.

Christopher Reeve was paralyzed in a horseback-riding accident in 1995 and died in 2004. His widow, Dana, died of lung cancer last week.

"I wrote her back but never got to speak with her," Routh says. "Still, it was such an honor. And it made me realize how important it is to respect not just the characters in this movie, but the people who were a part of it."

Indeed, the new Superman abounds with legacies.

Singer says he plans to use the late Marlon Brando in the new film. Brando, who played Superman's father, Jor-El, in the 1978 Superman and died in 2004, will return in the same role.

Singer says he found stock footage of Brando shot by director Richard Donner in 1978, which will provide Brando's voice. Special-effects crews will digitally re-create Brando's image, Singer says.

The new film will revisit the origins of the Man of Steel. Singer is well aware he's treading on hallowed ground.

"This isn't just any comic book character. Superman is America. He's as iconic as it gets. That's a pretty awesome responsibility."

03-16-06 08:49 EST

I'm actually very scared about how this movie is gonna turn out. I grew up on Superman and still love comic books 2 this day. I don't like the slightly modefied costume, the dark red instead of the bright red, or the over all look of some of the casting/characters.

I'll still be in line 2 see it the day it comes out and go in2 it with an open mind. I'm just scared.

I think they had to modify it slightly as it's a new guy, they don't want people to compare the two because the new one will not win

• Members

Singer says he plans to use the late Marlon Brando in the new film. Brando, who played Superman's father, Jor-El, in the 1978 Superman and died in 2004, will return in the same role.

Singer says he found stock footage of Brando shot by director Richard Donner in 1978, which will provide Brando's voice. Special-effects crews will digitally re-create Brando's image, Singer says.

It's amazing what they can do these days with films! No...it won't be the same, but hopefully it will be a good movie....better then Hulk I hope! Although I did enjoy Fantastic 4 and Spiderman! Too much technology can make the film seem really fake though....like Hulk, so I hope there is also some good acting!!

Thanks for the update!! :rockon:

Up, Up, and Away!!!! :pony:

Poor Brandon!! no one has seen his performance yet and still people say he cant match Reeve,despite the fact that the guy who cast Chris Reeve said Brandon was perfect for the role.. bear in mind that Singer loved the original movies.. im so looking forward to this.. and will see it at Imax as opposed to normal cinema as its using the highest resolution video camera in existence.. the genesis.. 12 megapixels baby!! :2thumbs:

It's amazing what they can do these days with films! No...it won't be the same, but hopefully it will be a good movie....better then Hulk I hope! Although I did enjoy Fantastic 4 and Spiderman! Too much technology can make the film seem really fake though....like Hulk, so I hope there is also some good acting!!

Thanks for the update!! :rockon:

Up, Up, and Away!!!! :pony:

when i first saw the hulk i loved it, but now i dont like it as much as i did, just cause its way too focased on the mental part of it and not enough HULK SMASH!!!!

and the hulk looked really good, i dont get how poeple say its looks fake

Everyone ripped me when i made that suggestion. I loved Dean Cain. He had the hero thing going on, but he also had a strong down 2 earth quality that i identifyied with. His body waz already superhero-ready and the ladies love him. I think he is not only the person who deserved the role, but also the person who waz perfect 4 it. Alot of the TV show's cast would have probably wanted 2 do the movie.

Everyone ripped me when i made that suggestion. I loved Dean Cain. He had the hero thing going on, but he also had a strong down 2 earth quality that i identifyied with. His body waz already superhero-ready and the ladies love him. I think he is not only the person who deserved the role, but also the person who waz perfect 4 it. Alot of the TV show's cast would have probably wanted 2 do the movie.

I feel ya. He realy is Superman for me, caus Christopher was kinda before my time and I grew up watching Lois And Clark. I think his looks and his atitude are perfect for the role. You think they asked him?

U never know. The entertainment business is so stupid. When they did Bill + Ted the live action TV show, they didn't ask Alex Winter or Keanu Reeves 2 do it...they just got those 2 no names 2 take park in the crappy show...it gone by like 8 episodes later.

I'm thinkin' they might not have asked him since Lois + Clark had alot of love triangle stuff in it, and they didn't wanna have that take on it. But i thought the actors and the look of that show were great. I own the 1st 2 seasons on DVD. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd season comes out around the time the movie drops.