JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Tonight" Helmer Leaves

Big Willie

Jonathan Mostow has ankled "Tonight, He Comes," the Columbia Pictures drama Will Smith will topline this summer and produce with Akiva Goldsman, Michael Mann and James Lassiter

No fireworks preceded the exit; Mostow and Smith simply found they weren't on the same page creatively. Mostow will remain on the project as exec producer.

The studio will begin the search for a new director quickly so that the project can stay on track for a June start.

Smith will play a disaffected and underappreciated superhero in existential crisis. Script, originally by Vincent Ngo and rewritten by Vince Gilligan, has long been considered an unmade gem.

"Tonight" becomes the second major studio project to recently switch directors before getting to the starting line. Universal is still looking to land a helmer to direct Adam Sandler and Kevin James in the comedy "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry," after David Dobkin left a project still on track for an August start.

To accommodate "Tonight, He Comes," Mostow pushed back "Swiss Family Robinson," a film he rewrote with Same Montgomery for Disney and Mandeville. He could do that project next.

Link: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111793977...3&cs=1&nid=2564

Edited by Big Willie

Uh-oh....

I hope it's not over Smith wanting to install some of his "trademark" humor in the movie and Mostow(who's been working on this project for awhile) deciding it was better to leave.

I'm a fan of Smith's but I'm getting tired of him having projects tailored to him. This script was considered one of the best unmade ones out there. Why not make it as is!! There should be no "tinkering" with it and ultimately there'd be no one leaving over "creative differences"!!!

lets just hope the movie has some action, thats all that matters!!!!

Cuz Pursuit of happyness is going to be a lot of talking.....

do you really want a all action no substance film i.e. Bad Boys

• Admin

While I agree with Radewart that the movie should be made without Will adding his big willieness into the fold.. don't want it to be sum cheap hollywood blockbuster.. I'm very happy mostow is no longer directing.. I didn't think he'd do a good job... Now what director do you think they should get for this project? Proyas would be good but I think he's sick of fighting the studios over creative control.. Michael Bay would be nice... Maybe even someone like Ang Lee or Bryan Singer could do something with that material...

• Admin

I like Mostow, T3 was just an unneeded sequel no matter who made it. Maybe Michael Mann will direct now, instead of just produce!

Doesn't really seem like a Michale Mann movie ..as far as hus style of directing

Maybe Michael Mann will direct now, instead of just produce!

when you say "just" produce you've got it wrong - the producer has more control over the film than anybody including the director.