JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

My Thoughts

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know Julie... Will had that problem with sony, now with interscope.... I think that's something wrong, can't he decided which singles release? I think he can, but I don't believe that the fact that party starter was released after 7months his interscope's fault.. Explain me why a label that has a gold album doin very well with only one single cannot release a new single after 3or4 months

I dont think he cant decide about the Singles. Will has power, Will is a big artits. he dont sign no contarct that isnt good for him. He probably wanted to reelase Switch, caus he likes people to party. Than probably Party Starter and Tell Me Why. But he knew he and Interscoop released Party Starte to late, caus of the movie ****. And than they all gave up on tTell Me Why..

i dont know why interscope did that, i dont know why interscope wont release tell me why. But what i do know is that a lot of artists struggle with record labels. If u dont fit into the gangsta rap, rapping about money, cars and sex catagory then apparently u cant sell. The money industry is messed up, thats why we are stuck listening to garbage everyday, instead of decent artists that cant get good songs released.

If it was Wills fault why would he put the time and effort into making a great album and miss out on another 20 million he could make by doing a film and then just not promote his album. Wills part is making the music, its interscopes job to release it.

I can't agree julie.. I think movies stole rap soul of Will.. it's only my way to see this thing. I REPEAT he's one of the most talented rappers ever, but maybe doing movies makes him more happy than goin to the stage and rappin in front of his fans, that's why he doesn't have a tour from years

sorry for my bad english today...........

Imagine what fans of Heavy D must feel like after waiting 7 years and still no album to drop anytime soon :ohdear: Will's prime of his rap career was before a lot of us started listening to him when he did the 5 albums with Jazzy Jeff, when he was touring, had a lot of street credability when they were selling millions and winning awards including the 1st grammy in rap history all before he started a family and his movie career that's out now, we can't bring back the past but there's a lot of great artists who haven't dropped one platinum album in their career and that's one of Will's worst sellling, that ain't bad, they'd love to say that, Common took 7 albums to go platinum just now... I wish I was born earlier so I could've lived in the golden era myself 'cause I feel out of place with what's out now since I like so much ol' school stuff, lol, the music industry has changed so much and the way I look at it ain't his fault, it's probably not as fun for Will to do music if you think about the way it's changed for the worst, maybe if the rap game returns to the golden era again he'll wanna do more but until then I think he'll probably stick with doing more films 'cause like Julie said that's where he gets the most popularity and respect at right now, the average time on top for a rap artist is not that long, in a few years 50 Cent'll be out of the spotlight himself and if he makes it to his 9th album he'll go double wood 'cause he don't have the talent and the desire to make it that far, his prime past after he got signed, he's only living off Eminem's fanbase that's fading too lol... LL Cool J don't sell as much as he did 10 years ago and he's been in the game the longest being the most dedicated and talented artist to stay on top as an ultimate entertainer just like Will. I'll be surprised if he ever sells as much as "Mr. Smith" and "Mama Said Knock You Out" again even though he's still putting out hits, I can't complain about that since he could still get on 106 & Park and TRL, Public Enemy released an album last week and it only sold 5,000 copies in the 1st week and their videos can't even get premiered when they used to go platinum, they release albums every year so there goes my theory of saying that releasing all the time'll keep your fanbase, lol, the fans have crap taste in music and have sold out from the great artists, not the opposite, as I put this in perspective I can't complain, true talent'll prevail in the long run though, Will still could be dropping hits 10 years from now as long as he's still alive while these wack chart rappers out now'll be long gone from the spotlight, VH1'll be doing a special: "Where is 50 Cent now?"

Edited by bigted

Public Enemy released an album last week and it only sold 5,000 copies in the 1st week when they used to go platinum, they release albums every year so there goes my theory of saying that releasing all the time'll keep your fanbase, lol, the fans have crap taste in music and have sold out from the great artists..

This makes me sad :ohdear:

:word: It's a shame that PE has put out a lot of albums and done quite a bit of tours over the last 10 years but only one of them went gold, most of the general public was just introduced to Flava Flav now on "Flava Of Love" but that wasn't PE related so they won't know about PE still, but anyways how would y'all feel if Will gave up acting completely and released a bunch of albums that hardly anybody except a few thousand loyal fans even heard of with no radio station playing his singles? It's like a lot of Will's ol' school peers are only remembered for what they did 15 years ago even if they dropped albums recently.... At least you could say 1 million people who bought "Lost and Found" heard "Tell Me Why" and 2 million who got "Willenium" heard "The Rain" even though they never got released to radio and more than 30 million have made purchases on his 9 albums even if they turn their backs on him later, there was a point in their life that they enjoyed it, they can't front, Will definately is/was being heard which is something you can't say about other great artists and it'll remain that way 'cause he diversifies his audience even more when he does films so he could always come back drop a song/album and have people that never heard him before check for his music as well as us loyal fans 'cause he could go promote on places like Good Morning America, Today Show, and Access Hollywood, hell he could perform at the White House if he wants to, lol, rather than just the usual TRL and 106&Park that most rappers could only go on/some even not allowed to go 'cause his acting career has given him a larger platform that nobody could shut down, we should appreciate, not hate, whatever Will has the passion to do, he'll have fans cheering him on, he's a champion in life....

Edited by bigted

Well you know record labels are money hungry bastards, it's funny that you mention 50 'cause he's on the same label as Will, the label spent way more time into promoting him and all of his beefs than anything Will did last year, the reason why "Lost and Found" wasn't promoted enough was 'cause it wasn't your average watered down disposable music that gets on the radio but despite the weak promotion more than 1 million people in the world went out to buy it which is the maximum for most creative artists these days 'cause gimmicks outsell talent right now: "Black radio/they don't play me though/even though the fans went out and bought enough/Guess they think Will ain't hard enough", easily though if he had more support from his record label, his albums could easily reach millions of fans still 'cause he does have a lot of people out there check for him, don't hate the player, hate the game, maybe if they stopped promoting "Laffy Taffy" garbage and actually supported real mcs hip-hop would be in a golden era again like when they put energy in getting all kinds of mcs no matter what style they were, there's a stream of real artists out there that need to get on and recognized, seeing garbage like that winning awards and getting on the radio all day makes me ashamed to say I'm a hip-hop fan sometimes myself, you can't blame Will for not wanting to do music that much anymore, he could release albums every year but the labels still won't promote him enough to outsell all the garbage artists, having black radio stations not playing his songs is the reason why he ain't the most popular rapper out now that'd would be like if some theaters didn't play his movies he wouldn't be the most popular actor either, people'd want to see it but if it ain't available for them they won't see it, there's a lot of people that'd be interested in hearing Will on the radio and would cop the albums, the movie industry is simply more supportive of him than the music industry is.... Will probably wanted "Tell Me Why" to drop right away since he recorded it 3 years ago but Interscope had the final say on what to drop, they decided to put all their energy on Em/50 instead, they act like only kids listen to hip-hop but there's a lot of older heads out there starving for real hip-hop again but they don't seem to care, "Back when rap was smart and multilayered/we could rap without A&R's and ultimadems", the industry bull**** is taking away the love of the game, a lot of behind the scenes stuff is holding Will back from reaching his full potential, maybe if they weren't bull****tin' so much and let him release what he wanted he'd be interested in doing more, think about that now....

Edited by bigted

:word: It's a shame that PE has put out a lot of albums and done quite a bit of tours over the last 10 years but only one of them went gold, most of the general public was just introduced to Flava Flav now on "Flava Of Love" but that wasn't PE related so they won't know about PE still, but anyways how would y'all feel if Will gave up acting completely and released a bunch of albums that hardly anybody except a few thousand loyal fans even heard of with no radio station playing his singles? It's like a lot of Will's ol' school peers are only remembered for what they did 15 years ago even if they dropped albums recently.... At least you could say 1 million people who bought "Lost and Found" heard "Tell Me Why" and 2 million who got "Willenium" heard "The Rain" even though they never got released to radio and more than 30 million have made purchases on his 9 albums even if they turn their backs on him later, there was a point in their life that they enjoyed it, they can't front, Will definately is/was being heard which is something you can't say about other great artists and it'll remain that way 'cause he diversifies his audience even more when he does films so he could always come back drop a song/album and have people that never heard him before check for his music as well as us loyal fans 'cause he could go promote on places like Good Morning America, Today Show, and Access Hollywood, hell he could perform at the White House if he wants to, lol, rather than just the usual TRL and 106&Park that most rappers could only go on/some even not allowed to go 'cause his acting career has given him a larger platform that nobody could shut down, we should appreciate, not hate, whatever Will has the passion to do, he'll have fans cheering him on, he's a champion in life....

:word: Coulndt say it better.

Just one thing.. Lost And Found selled about a mil.. But I think together with the Downloading it for sho came on about 4 or 5 mil..

i really dont think you guys can blame Will for the lack music he puts out, we all know that Will loves Hip-Hop and will always love the game, but the problem right now is that the genre itself is screwed up, the music coming out is all wack, is all gargabe, all fake gangsta crap and Will propbably doesnt want to release albums that currently belong in this era of Hip-Hop.

Im sure Will is still recording tracks in the privacy of his own home (the man has a recording studio in his house, trust me, he's dedicated to the music). I remember reading an article about Will during the time of BWS and he said that he was still recording tracks but didnt release any because he was dissapointed with what the game had become... that's probably why he doesnt want to release anything...

We as fans are very dissapointed with the current state of the genre, we are constantly listening to old skool tracks that bring us back to the Golden Era, and listen out for good contemporary tracks and hope that Hip-Hop somehow returns to what it used to be about, not the gangsta image, not the cash, cars or money, but for the love of Rap, the music, the fans... We can all hope it will someday return...

Edited by shuga

i really dont think you guys can blame Will for the lack music he puts out, we all know that Will loves Hip-Hop and will always love the game, but the problem right now is that the genre itself is screwed up, the music coming out is all wack, is all gargabe, all fake gangsta crap and Will propbably doesnt want to release albums that currently belong in this era of Hip-Hop.

Im sure Will is still recording tracks in the privacy of his own home (the man has a recording studio in his house, trust me, he's dedicated to the music). I remember reading an article about Will during the time of BWS and he said that he was still recording tracks but didnt release any because he was dissapointed with what the game had become... that's probably why he doesnt want to release anything...

We as fans are very dissapointed with the current state of the genre, we are constantly listening to old skool tracks that bring us back to the Golden Era, and listen out for good contemporary tracks and hope that Hip-Hop somehow returns to what it used to be about, not the gangsta image, not the cash, cars or money, but for the love of Rap, the music, the fans... We can all hope it will someday return...

:word: