JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

ASK THE DJ: JAZZY JEFF

Posted on Fri, Mar. 10, 2006

ASK THE DJ: JAZZY JEFF By MICHAEL HAMERSLY

mhamersly@miamiherald.com

You remember DJ Jazzy Jeff for his work with Will Smith both on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and in the recording studio (Parents Just Don't Understand, Girls Ain't Nothin But Trouble, Summertime). But the Philly musician is also one of the best DJs you'll ever see step behind the decks. Check him out tonight and Saturday at his new residency at Shine in the Shelborne Hotel.

Q: What made you want a residency at Shine?

It was incredible the first time, so I just had to come back -- the vibe was great.

Q: Will we be seeing Will Smith dropping by?

If he's in Miami, I'm sure he'll come by to party with me.

Q: Do you miss the Fresh Prince show?

Not really . . . it was a lot of fun, but that was a long time ago. It was cool while it lasted.

Q: Do you try to incorporate a Philly feel into your sets?

I think I try to be universal -- I travel around the world so much. I get bits and pieces of music wherever I go. I don't like to be trapped into any kind of feel; I let it take me where the vibe is that night.

Q: How about stuff from your work with Will?

Sometimes Summertime -- it depends on the vibe.

Q: Who has had the most influence on you developing your sound?

I think growing up in Philly -- the Gamble & Huff sound.

Q: How deeply do you get into the party scene that surrounds nightclubs, or are you in it strictly for the music?

I'm a music head: I don't care if it's in a club, or in the park. I love music -- that's my life.

Q: Do you think technological advances have diminished the quality of today's new DJs?

No, because if you can't mix, nothing can do it for you. I love technology, but you have to have the skill to go along with it.

Q: Any advice for young aspiring DJs?

Practice, practice, practice, and surround yourself with honest people who will tell you the truth. If you suck, make sure they tell you. That's the only way for you to get better.

Q: How old were you when you knew you'd be a DJ, and what were the circumstances?

I was 10. I remember watching older DJs command the crowd and saying, ``I wanna be just like them -- wow.''

Q: Name a musician you admire the most and why?

Herbie Hancock. He wasn't afraid to try new things. He used a DJ when no one else had one.

Q: What would you do if you had to change careers?

Die.

Q: What about you would surprise people?

I am a incredible cook. I cook for all my friends -- I love it. It calms me down from this crazy industry.

source via google: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/enter...nd/14054401.htm

*jeff's just too damn cool lol

Edited by MissAshley

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff is so chill and down to earth.

yup. always. lmbo. :2thumbs:

peace,

cookie

die! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

haha. I dont see JJ changing careers NO tyme soon. I know the feeling tho. 'love what you do, and do what you love"... ha. :kekeke:

peace,

cookie