JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J: 'I Do What Comes Natural, What I Love'

bigted

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/feature/art...t_id=1002154697

LL Cool J: 'I Do What Comes Natural, What I Love'

March 08, 2006

LL Cool J

"Few are able to get to the top. LL Cool J has stayed there and thrived. From 'Rock the Bells' and 'Around the Way Girl' to our new collaboration 'Control Myself,' LL's hard work and inspired creativity have allowed him to stay as relevant and influential today as ever."

-- Jennifer Lopez

"LL Cool J did what everyone said was impossible. He defied every rule and paved the way for hip-hop to reach a whole new level of global influence and achievement. LL Cool J was the cornerstone of Def Jam Records, the first superstar who proved that rap artists could be career artists. Over the past 20 years, he has continued to reinvent himself and stay on top."

-- Atlantic Records president Julie Greenwald

"I've seen him grow up and come through the clinches of this business and manage to keep his head, his integrity and his strength as a strong black brother. I am very proud of him and have nothing but love for him. We made it to the top. I was there four or five years before him, but now it's good to see him sitting across from me. We're still in it to win it."

-- Angie Stone

"LL Cool J was one of the first teen hip-hop artists and one of the first hip-hop artists to bring the music to the masses. As a teen artist I realize how hard it can be for people to accept many of my records as mature. LL Cool J showed that he too was relevant."

-- JoJo

"LL Cool J is one of the founders of the hip-hop revolution and without a doubt is one of the most important rap artists of all time. His influence goes beyond music alone. LL Cool J is a cultural force."

-- Warner Music Group executive VP Kevin Liles

"We've been fans for a long time. LL is a hip hop legend n it was an honor to work with him especially on a song that speaks our language!"

-- Mary Mary's Erika Atkins

"He has been a pioneer. At a recent industry function, younger artists such as Ludacris, Kanye West and Chris Brown talked to Def Jam executives about LL Cool J's important influence on them. Not only has he opened doors, but he has served as an inspiration to them."

-- Flipsyde's Piper

"I knew he had a rare combination of talents and was destined to be a musical pioneer who would forever have a profound impact on the world of music. Hip-hop owes a debt of gratitude to LL Cool J. Hip-hop and rap wouldn't be half of what it is today without his influence and amazing body of work."

-- Warner Music Group chairman/CEO of U.S. recorded music Lyor Cohen

"LL Cool J gave me belief, being I'm from Queens... His work ethic and staying power was a key example for my life professionally."

-- Yummy Bingham

Quotes compiled by Debbie Galante Block.

March 08, 2006

Gail Mitchell

Grow.

That word pops up frequently in conversation with LL Cool J. Indeed, since the rapper became the first Def Jam artist to release a single some 20 years ago, it seems to have become part of his mantra.

His focus on professional and spiritual growth has resulted in a slew of hit records, two Grammy Awards and noteworthy roles on TV (including hosting the 2005 Billboard Music Awards in December) and in film. That still does not take into account his numerous humanitarian efforts, his role as a product pitchman or the recent launch of his Todd Smith clothing line during New York's Fashion Week.

"I'm having a great time, a real good time," he tells Billboard. "Very thankful about where my career is at. Hopefully, I'll be able to give people some good, quality music and film in the future."

Fresh off the success of his latest film with Queen Latifah, "Last Holiday," and on the eve of releasing his 12th Def Jam album -- "Todd Smith," which comes from the rapper's given name, James Todd Smith -- LL looks back on what has powered his double-decade career.

The theme of "Last Holiday" was all about possibilities in life. This could be applied to your own. Did you think 20 years ago that you would be where you are now?

Honest to God, I can tell you that the answer is no. I mean, where I'm at was a fantasy back then. I guess I focus so much on trying to build and trying to grow that maybe sometimes I don't even pay attention to where I'm at.

What was your aim starting out? Just to record and album and get on the charts?

A: My aim was just to hear my record on the radio. I just wanted to hear my record on the radio and get a Mercedes [laughs]. In that order [laughs]. That was it. I just kept working at it and God blessed me.

I've just been focusing on growing as a human being spiritually and as a businessman and as an artist; To consistently go after new things and allow myself to mature. Let more people into my life to help me creatively and on all levels. This all has just been a growing process.

In the past you have said you feel you are at the beginning of your career again because there are so many possibilities out there. Do you still feel that is true?

Yes, of course. I'm still very young in dog years. I've just been doing this a long time in terms of being a professional. I still look forward to having a lot more fun [and] introducing the world to some interesting things I have going on in my life, [like] doing more films [and] working on more companies.

Since finishing your new album, "Todd Smith," how would you compare the studio process then versus now?

If I had to choose whether or not it gets easier or harder, I would have to say it gets harder. Well, you know what, maybe that's not correct. It's just different. The challenge always becomes trying to do the best work you can, trying to make the best music you can, trying to do something that's really exciting -- and at the same time not repeating yourself.

On the album you have as guests Mary J. Blige, Lyfe Jennings, Freeway, Jennifer Lopez again...

Also Mary, Mary, 112, Teairra Mari, Ginuwine. Juelz Santana.

What producers did you work with?

A: Bink, Trackmasters, Pharell Williams, Jermaine Dupri.

In such a youth-oriented industry, do you feel pressured to make records that will attract that market?

I don't really know how to do that. All I can really do is what I do and what comes natural, what I love.

All I can do is make the best music I can and hope that people enjoy it. Whatever project I'm involved with, I try to make it positive and fun and cool. I just make it to my taste, in other words, and go from there.

Along those lines, you're a father of four children whose ages range from 5 to 16. The subject matter of hip-hop and videos has gotten much racier over time. As your kids get older, how do you reconcile that with what you do?

A: Look, let's be frank about: it could be cleaner. There's room for a little more positivity. I think women can be displayed in a way that's beautiful without making them look like tramps. It is what it is. There's no need in pretending that's not a problem. It is.

Everybody has the right to see what they want to see and at a certain age. God gave us free will, so who am I to try and impose my will on someone else? But that being said, he gave us liberty, but at the same time you still want to take responsibility for the people you're influencing.

That doesn't mean I won't do any sexy videos. It doesn't mean I don't want to have beautiful girls in my videos or in the stuff I'm doing. I just think it could be a little classier sometimes, that's all. I don't want this to seem like I'm bashing my industry because I'm not. The industry as a whole is in a good place. We've just got to take a few more risks [and understand] that people would like something different.

What was your aim when you started out in this business?

I just wanted to hear my record on the radio and get a Mercedes. In that order. [laughs] That was it. I just kept working at it, and God blessed me.

What has changed the most about the music industry in the last 20 years?

Rap music has become much more visually driven, much more money-driven and even more producer-driven.

Is that a good or bad thing?

Just different. The visual thing is tough but not necessarily bad. Nowadays, your video is as important as your song. So now you not only have to be a person who can make great music, but you have to be able to deliver a vision on it. But then again, that part is good, because it makes you really have to dig deep as an artist.

As far as it being more economically driven, I mean, you know, that's good and bad. You make more money, but at the same time it's a trade-off.

Do you think you could start in the record business today?

It's cool that's a question I'll never have to answer. [laughs] I'll let you answer that. Whatever you say is right. How about no? That's even funnier.

After all these years, do you consider yourself a legend?

A legend? I guess I'd say no, only because considering yourself a legend would mean letting your past hold your future hostage, and I don't do that. At some point you embrace what you've done and [are] happy. If you've got your hands on the plow and you look back, the lines won't be straight in the ground. You've got to keep moving forward.

But I definitely respect and appreciate the amount of time I've been doing what I'm doing, and I know it's a unique position to be in, and I don't take it for granted.

But it's still fun for you?

Absolutely. I love it. I love the creative and the people. The politics I could do without. But the politics and the hard work just come with that.

Jay-Z once said no one wants to see a 45-year-old rapper. Do you agree there is a shelf life, so to speak, for rappers?

We've got to see where this industry is going. As much as I respect that sentiment, the reality is there will be 45-year-old rap fans. Who will they want to see? So the question more importantly for me would be, do I want to be doing this in 10 years? I can't answer that. I don't know what I want to do 10 years from now. I don't know if when I'm in my mid-40s I'll want to do what I was willing to do in my mid- to late 30s.

For the past 10 years you have managed your own music career. Is it hard juggling being an artist and a manager? Do people think they can take advantage?

[laughs] Well, you can think what you want to think. Now whether or not you can actually pull it off, that's another conversation. This ain't just been... 20 years of champagne popping and going chain swinging. I prefer to take a hands-on approach to my career; it just gives me a certain level of comfort. I don't want to make it seem I'm the be-all, end-all and the buck stops here all the time. I have a lot of people I consult with

You have had your brushes with disses, and watched the feud between Nas and Jay-Z play out. How do you feel about these types of feuds in the hip-hop community?

Peace is always better than war. Competition is fun in hip-hop, but you can be competitive by making good records. We don't have to dis one another. But at the same time, there's nothing wrong with that either as long as it stays [rooted] in fun.

Which of your albums represents the quintessential LL Cool J?

I don't think there is such a thing as quintessential. To use Michael Jackson as an example, you could compare "ABC" to "Rock With You" -- they are from different eras but equally important.

On a sentimental level, "Mama Said Knock You Out" is an important record, because it was dedicated to my grandmother [who] passed away. Album-wise, I don't really have a favorite. Maybe the "Mr. Smith" album to a certain extent, just because it was a time of maturity and a time when I went to a different level in my mind -- spiritually, emotionally, mentally, psychologically.

Art is funny. I don't have one [favorite] record. I have quite a few singles I like lot. My favorite single is "Doin' It."

Who are your biggest influences?

I'm influenced by everything. As music changes, my influences change. What influenced me in 1996 is not necessarily what influences me now. Right now, I'm influenced by everything that's out now, that's going on now.

Madonna has been a strong influence on me in a lot of ways. I've always admired the way she's handled her career. They counted her out, and she's caught up right now.

There's a very what-have-you-done-for-me-lately mentality in the music business. But art and the music business are two different things, and you can never count a great artist out.

Who haven't you worked with yet who is still on your wish list?

Those are the types of things I kind of let happen naturally.

Are you planning to tour?

I haven't toured on any of my albums since, like, "Mr. Smith," but I think I may tour on this one. I like it. I think it's worthy. Not that the others weren't. But I think this one feels like a record that I want to get out and tour on. It just feels right.

Do you like touring?

I like the actual concert. Everything in between I could do without. [laughs] The airports, [going] in and out of the hotels, that's tough for me. That's why I hardly tour. It's just so grueling. But I think I'm going to go ahead and give people some love on this one.

What is your take on the whole debate about rappers turning to acting?

It's our responsibility as human beings to maximize the use of all of our talents. That's a biblical principal. You're supposed to use all of your talents. If you don't put everything to use, then it will be taken from you. So to limit yourself and not take advantage of everything you have the potential to do is foolish.

Do you find yourself pigeonholed in terms of scripts because you are a rapper?

People would only be able to pigeonhole me if I was greedy. I could work a lot more as an actor doing stereotypical roles that people associate with rappers, but I choose not to. It's not easy.

They didn't think of me for "Last Holiday," [because the role was] way, way different than anything I've ever done. The studio had to be convinced. People don't associate me with an everyday guy like the guy in the movie. It's not so much about the degree of difficulty, it's about how far away it is from how people perceive you. I've definitely been through that, and I still go through that. But I think "Last Holiday" is a perfect example of me getting the opportunity to get outside of that box.

This next question is for the ladies. How often do you work out to maintain your physique?

I'm actually in the process of doing a book. We just put together a deal for a workout book that will give people the ins and outs of how I do what I do physically -- my diet, my workout, my philosophy, my ideology. It will probably come at the top of next year.

Is there a second autobiography on the horizon?

I want to see what happens with this workout book. It has a lot of material in there, [and] it will be very personal. We'll see what happens from there. If, God willing, I live a little bit more, then we can address the sequel.

A lot of people in the hip-hop buisiness got love for Will too though, I was just listening to Fat Joe saying on Tim Westwood's that Fresh Prince sounds like money and everyone in hip-hop got love for him, anyways I enjoyed reading this LL article, hopefully this'll get everyone anticipating his album, btw if this was 5 years ago and somebody asked LL if he thought he was a legend he'd say yes, he has really humbled himself over the years, lol....

Edited by bigted

After all these years, do you consider yourself a legend?

A legend? I guess I'd say no, only because considering yourself a legend would mean letting your past hold your future hostage, and I don't do that. At some point you embrace what you've done and [are] happy. If you've got your hands on the plow and you look back, the lines won't be straight in the ground. You've got to keep moving forward.

But I definitely respect and appreciate the amount of time I've been doing what I'm doing, and I know it's a unique position to be in, and I don't take it for granted.

----

This is funny,lol. That comes from the man that made an album called The G.O.A..T.. :lolsign:

I was just listening to Fat Joe saying on Tim Westwood's that Fresh Prince sounds like money and everyone in hip-hop got love for him.

Like money? :stickpoke:

Edited by Turntable

I was just listening to Fat Joe saying on Tim Westwood's that Fresh Prince sounds like money and everyone in hip-hop got love for him.

Well that FAT doesnt know wats he talkin bout...money..hes confusin Coolness wit money or wat?? better he stays wit his "Boricuas Reggaetoneros" n shut up! ¬¬

Well that FAT doesnt know wats he talkin bout...money..hes confusin Coolness wit money or wat?? better he stays wit his "Boricuas Reggaetoneros" n shut up! ¬¬

Dont you diss fat Joe. He`s a great MC, even thos some of his work isnt that good. Fat Joe keeps it real.. And his flow is unquestionable.

I guess that "money" thing is ment like that: Will is like the ultimate Hustla. No one in Hip hop made it as far as Will. And you gotta have love and respect for someone like that. I guess that whats Joe means..

Edited by Turntable

Dont you diss fat Joe. He`s a great MC, even thos some of his work isnt that good. Fat Joe keeps it real.. And his flow is unquestionable.

I guess that "money" thing is ment like that: Will is like the ultimate Hustla. No one in Hip hop made it as far as Will. And you gotta have love and respect for someone like that. I guess that whats Joe means..

Well sorry man, but i didnt like dat comment n neither his raps :shrug:

Edited by Luigie

Yeah it's all love with Fat Joe, he was saying that he respects what Will has done for hip-hop, he basically means that Will's the top dawg in the industry, that wasn't a diss man so chill...

You could check out what Fat Joe said when you fast forward this an hour into the program, he's there vibin' with Jazzy Jeff and says a lot of nice things about him too, Fat Joe basically got love for everyone except G Unit, lol, you don't have to like his music but he's a cool dude, he doesn't go around dissin' other people just to hype up his sales:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/westwood/index.shtml

btw, there is 45 year old rappers already, I mean Public Enemy's still going strong and Chuck D's 45 years old

Edited by bigted