JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MC Hammer Blogs

bigted

I noticed that MC Hammer has his own blog site, he mentions that he's working on releasing an album called "Look, Look, Look" and even posts lyrics to one of his songs called "History", it's some deep stuff, check out his site at the link here to look at many more blogs he posted:

http://mchammer.blogspot.com/

History (I Won't Give Up)

I had a horrible dream last night. It was 1968 and I was somewhere in the South, it was a hot humid and sticky day the sweat just kind of stood still on my skin and my mouth was as dry as the California desert in the dog days of the summer. I was down to my last two bucks and it was hard for me as a black man to get any meaningful work. I saw a sign that said that the local sheriff's office was hiring new officers. I always hated the way the police treated my people so I decided the best way to change things would be to get in and assert my views an offer some balance.

I walked into the sheriff's office and immediately all eyes were on me. The room went silent and you could hear a rat pissin' on cotton. My dark chocolate skin and my bold jaw line complimented my broad nose and my full lips. I opened my mouth and simply said, "I'm here to apply for a job as an officer." Reluctantly I was given an application and I quickly filled it out and returned it to the officer on duty.

One week later I was a cadet at the sheriff's camp. I don't know why they accepted me because it was clear from day one that they didn't want me here. Nothing I did was right. They tried everything they could to make my life and drills a living hell and have me quit but they could not break me. Then one morning we were out on the field for physical training drills. I knew I didn't feel well but of course I had to act as if I was fine. Try as I may to keep up, the more drills we did the sicker I got. I don't know what was wrong with me, it's all a blur now. All I remember is that on one of my laps that I was running I was suddenly surrounded by my superiors. They began to berate me, brow beat me and push and shove on me. I can't recall exactly how many it was because I was so sick. At that point that I could barely stand but I do know it was at least five men.

They begin to enjoy the pain they were inflicted on me as if every blow represented the resentment of me and my people. As if I had somehow harmed them in my past life. Remember they never wanted me here anyway. It's 1968 in the South and I'm a progressive black man surrounded by five racist, oppressive white men. My breathing is becoming labored and my arms and legs have gone limp. The only thing holding me up is the barrage of stinging, pounding punches to my flesh from my fellow officers and their collective hands around my neck that are choking the breath of life out of me. Finally someone has mercy and allows my body to fall to the ground. Then to my chagrin I begin to feel excruciating pain in my kidneys and my spleen. The pain is coming from the soles of their boots as they continuously kick me closer into the arms of death. Suddenly I think it's over as I'm picked up and held in the arms of a man whom I hoped one day to work along side as a partner and then he too punches me and I begin my descent towards the ground and into the arms of Jesus. In death I am hurting more than in life because this hold incident was recorded on video tape and people are watching me die over and over again and are denying the truth of what they are witnessing.

Please allow me the dignity to rest in peace. Allow my family to mourn. Allow my People the justice they demand here in the land of the free. Allow my soul to sing the praises of God. For this is not 1968 and this is not a dream but my reality in the year 2006. I'm fourteen years old and I have been murdered by the hands of authority at the sheriff's camp.

These are the lyrics from my song, History ( I won't give up), from my upcoming album "Look Look Look" (Look3x).

The evil that men do they make moves like voodoo/

sittin' on the sidelines hoping and praying that somebody do you/

Never contemplating that somebody would school you/

Fuse melody rhythm and flow and work wit it like a tool/

You should know by now the oppressed man is not a fool/

Sign of the times evident from Elvis to Eminem don't be cruel/

It's a sham/ a scam /an old boy flim flam

No matter how you twist it up I know who I am/

I refuse to be a product of everything you feeding me/

Cause all you makin' available is smoke drank and the illusion of ecstasy/

It's ecstasy when I sit back with my eyes shut tight/

Soarin' through a world full of freedom like shooting stars in the night/

My spirit will not be broken/ my faith will not be shakin'/

Give it how you give it man I won't give up I gots to make it/

Chorus

I won't give up on my life

I won't give up it's my life

It's something bout the way I post up and I walk/

It leaves you flabbergasted tongue tied and you can't talk/

you intimidated by the way miss Missy keep peeping at me/

You wanna put me in a cell with no bail and lock me away for a quarter century/

My first mistake was I didn't stay awake/

I should have paid attention when you fed me the crumbs up off your plate/

Honestly I did not understand/

I was still trying to comprehend the implications of that long trip man/

It was so complex with disrespect that I didn't know what I should feel/

I was a king in my village but now I'm serving you your meals/

That was so devastating and yet is so ironic/

I'm geographically isolated to the point I want to vomit/

But I won't and I don't cause now I'm feeling alright/

You can't comprehend the light/ my eternal sight/ mind so bright/ I'm

focused and walking in the light/

And I won't give up/ I won't give up

Chorus

From my transgressions and indiscretion I've learned many lessons/

A wife children and family are multiple blessings/

History is his story repeated/

I'ma put it down and y'all make show that you read it/

The criminal minded lawyers have control of the switch/

I'm scientifically inclined but to eat I gots to dig a ditch/

I got mandatory witnesses of the these mandatory sentences/

This is genocide as a law and it's mandatory we end this/

How low will you go below yo ego before you know/

If you keep on doin' this to ours we gone end up doin' it to yours/

Where is the rehabilitation in a nation full of accusations?/

Twentyfive wit an L and three strikes is equivalent to strangulation/

My astonishment is for the punishment as a curse upon my people/

The crime plus the time the punishment must be equal/

Mandatory lies/ mandatory lies/ mandatory sentences/ mandatories die/

I won't give up

Chorus

--Hammertime

From my sidekick

Edited by bigted

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That song came out more than a year ago, way before "Mr. Nice Guy" came out, I think he made that as a response to Eminem mockin' him in the "Just Lose It" video, he also mentions Eminem in that song "History" that he posted on his site: "Sign of the times evident from Elvis to Eminem don't be cruel" btw I dig this other blog there where he talks about how he's seen hip-hop evolve over the years from being in the industry:

Maturation of Hip Hop, Chapter 1

My professional Hip Hop journey began in 1986. This was the height of the crack era when every inner city (hood) in America was on fire with the game and death and prosperity were close first cousins. Hip Hop was the soundtrack that played as the game rolled along. In the town (Oakland) it was if the hood had struck oil. New cars, fancy clothes, fresh drippin' jeri curls and all the sex you wanted was a twenty four hour reality. Money came in stacks and any problems were dealt with quickly and with finality. We took our cues from Tony Montana (Scarface) and the mob, if you crossed the homies you paid with your life.

Rap music spoke to all facets of this life. The fast tempo party music (MC Hammer), the player pimp style of Too Short and the political awareness and pride and consciousness of Chuck D and Public Enemy. There were very few magazines that could cover, report or depict the world that was emerging and unfolding right before the world's bloodshot eyes. The square journalist would build up any artist who brought his homies and a gun to an interview as a certified gangsta. No kills and no moving weight necessary. They (journalists) were just glad to not get beat down and smashed on.

The unhealthy fear of these square journalists would later lead to the deaths of two of rap's greatest artists as they would be the victims of a war of two coasts that only existed in the stories of these cowardly exploitive scribes. There was only a beef among a small group of men. Last time I checked the East Coast was made up of at least thirteen colonies and the West Coast stretched along the beaches of the Pacific Ocean from Washington to Mexico. Until this day these cowardly scribes have never come clean and accepted their collective responsibilities. They still glorify any artist who says, "I was shot" or, "I just got out." Keep in mind that in the streets the one who did the shooting was the gansta. Only in the world of the diconnected and fearful could the victims become the heroes. They write from the standpoint of survival in their minds. They are not alone as their stories are repeated, hyped and sensationalized by radio squares who couldn't point their way to the hood but sound on the air like some of the downest cats ever. Now this acting and attitude has spilled over to Hip Hop chat rooms and forums. These "instant message killers" and "text bangers" all sound and talk so tough in these forums. Stop it man and be yourself. Grow up. Render your opinions without the drama.

But I digress. Back to the Eighties.

The energy was electric. The last time there was a movement like this was the Studio 54 parties in the mid-Seventies disco era. Just like that era, in this new era of Hip Hop music, drugs, sex and hustling played a vital part in the rise and influence of the genre. Music lives in clubs and on the radio. Radio programmers and DJs love all the vices that come with the music game. Drugs, power, influence and sex. Back then the exception to the rule was a record that was so hot that it worked for everybody. The DJs played it in the club because the dancefloors would be packed. The radio station programmers played it because the phone lines would light up. It was a win win across the board.

Today is strictly pay to play. Music and the underworld have always co-existed. Frank Sinatra and the mob. Bugsy Siegel and Las Vegas. Why is there a sudden infatuation and interest by the powers that be to tie Rap artists to the drug game? Guilt by association? Rap artists and drug dealers come from the same community, live in the same neighborhood and stay on the same block. If we are to allow the maturation of Hip Hop we must face the reality of the musicians who produce the music. Ninety-nine percent of rappers come from drug infested communities. Is this news?

Instead of trying to lock up Hip Hop, allow us to continue to create hope and legal economic opportunities in these same crime and drug infested communities. Yes, we know drug dealers and killers. We grew up together. There is only one hood. Yes we take calls, put money on books and go out and eat with felons and convicts. It would be impossible for us not to. Three out of five African American men have been arrested or served time. You know that. They are our people. We will not disown them. Let my Hip Hop business model encourage them to do the right thing. Let my Hip Hop business model, success and wealth allow me to invest in the community and bring hope to the next generation. I want to provide resources that help develop the next Kevin Lyle (President Warner Music), the next, Steve Stoute (dealmaker and broker), the next Sean Combs (artist, business man) and the next John Singleton and MC Hammer.

Allow the maturation of Hip Hop so we can see and witness more acts of wisdom like the union of Nas and Jay Z. Not all Hip Hop journalists and radio DJs write and talk out of fear. Some are real and they speak and write from truth and from their hearts. It's this group that can help with the maturation of Hip Hop. Present Hip Hop as a complete and whole community. We are fathers, uncles, teachers, ministers, engineers, directors, and yes squares and geeks. Everybody who consumes this music ain't killers. It is a fact that the majority of this music is bought by mainstream America.

Anyone can funk and go to war, we all got soldiers but it takes real men to make peace. Peace may not sell these squares' magazines but it can save a community and bring prosperity to our people.

--Hammer

from my sidekick

He also makes a blog about shooting his new music video for "Look, Look, Look" which also posted on the site there:

Art Of The Dance

What a good feeling to see that everywhere I look, no matter what name they put on it, everybody's dancing! In the Bay Area we "goin' dumb", "thizz'n", and gettin' "hyphy". In LA they "krump'n" and gettin' "buck". The dirty South they doin the "snap dance". The west coast dances have evolved from the emotions and culture of the environment.

One "goes dumb" because he can escape the reality of feeling abandoned and left out from a society that isn't addressing his pain and frustration. The lack of hope, opportunity and employment eats at a man's conscience and psyche like maggots on the dead. My value and contribution to family and community is found in my ability to provide for my family and support the community with resources. I escape the pressures of this reality momentarily in my dance. In the dance I let go and I'm free.

I express myself. My dreads, my bald head, and my grill are a part of me. They are not "me" because I am not what I wear. They are to me as war paint is to a warrior. My dance is my cry. Feel my power and yet witness my grace. I speak through the dance.

I am not being heard but hopefully I will be seen. My movement is a call to action. The quiet before the storm. I "go dumb" to echo the voices that are saying we will not be denied. I lead the charge like an Elder should. I understand. There is no age requirement or limit and no respect of persons to this dance. If you relate to the conditions and recognize the symptoms join in. I'm hyphy. Hyper. I can't stop moving.

That's why here in the Bay we say, "do it movin". There is no time to sit still and allow the world to move and walk on me. When you see me, "goin' dumb" with my brothers and sisters I am saying I relate and I am here to support and bridge the gap. All gaps. Race, religion, purpose and missions.

The art of the dance is in the imperfections. It is in these moments of correction that we are made whole. We practice and communicate to iron out the problems and challenges. I MC Hammer am back dancing because the world needs to dance and Hip Hop needs leadership. No leadership is like no father. Wisdom comes from living life. Life in this time has grown more complex and the world has become more violent.

Through the dance of life we can communicate, embrace and understand one another. The dance brings us closer together. I purposely released the first video from my upcoming album, "Look, Look, Look"(Look3x) as organized pandemonium rather than a choreographed music video. It reflects the times and mind frame. In the freedom that is free style dance is where I see the real you. I love to let the art of the dance be spontaneous. There is no wrong move. Do you. We "goin' dumb". Just express yourself. Get it out.

This is the first leg in an eighteen song journey that will take you places you have not gone before. This is the warm up and the stretch. The depth and heart of the album comes later. Prepare your mind and your heart and I promise you there is no way you can leave this project without being affected and changed for the better.

I will bridge the gaps through music, video, blogs, melody and dance. We will communicate one with another. There will be communities to support the four chapters that make up the album. The video "Look" (see both "Look" videos: Look 3x, Look 3x/Dance Solo) is taken from the Club Look chapter of the album and is the sound of the crashing symbols and the blowing of the trumpets saying, "Here We Come and Here Comes The Hammer."

I am physically as well as mentally and spiritually prepared for this mission. It was a long time in preparation and now is the time to release my algorithm that is ,"Look, Look, Look" (Look3x).

The engine and power of the movement is the blog. The blog will allow us to link hand in hand, one to another. Even those who are not Hammer Fans but appreciate blogging's empowerment are welcomed supporters. The blog is our commonality. My goal is to connect with Hammer Fans. Make new Hammer friends and meet with like minds. Those who believe in God, family and community. Through the blog I will eliminate sensationalism. You will have access to my many thoughts and truly get to know me without an intermediate.

Video on demand will allow you to see my art, my life and work on demand and without the infection of those who have hidden agendas. This is the revolution and it is on demand. There is no stopping this movement and you can't contain it. The music was built from the vibrations and the call of the people.

We will dance.

There will be many steps in this dance. Learn the movements. Respect my get down. Notice the strength of the women in these videos. See the joy of the kids. The young man at the end of the first "Look" video is my ten year old son Stanley Burrell Jr. I turn them loose and lift them up. They are strong and beautiful. I applaud their strengths and I create an environment that focuses on their gifts. When I launch The Look Tour you will witness what the power of music, dance, technology, God and community truly is on another level. Witness the maturation of Hip Hop.

I won't be just performing but we together will be celebrating the Art Of The Dance.

Edited by bigted

Well where's the link at man? btw, I was listening to Hot 97 a few days ago and they were interviewing MC Hammer and he was mentioning that his new album is gonna be produced by Scott Storch and that he was in New York this week to perform at Apollo Theatre as a fundraiser for Hurricane Katina victims which he seemed to have posted pics on his site already from that performance

Some people have called me out for being a huge supporter of MC Hammer. And i could care less about what they have 2 say. I know that i waz a huge Hip-Hop fan b4 some of these fools were born. MC Hammer came up from the gutter, with tons of energy, style, dance moves, and a positive attitude. He's one of coolest, nicest, and wisest guys in Hip-Hop...and in general. I'll always support whatever he does. What's he waz bloggin' up there is real talk. U just don't get that from the artists on the charts.

And i love that joint "Full Blast." I got the promo single for that nearly 2 years ago. The b-side "Sunshine" waz pretty good...and the single/video "Hard Times" waz amazing.

I used to love Hammer, but I lost a lot of respect for him when, after he went bankrupt, he went on Arsenio performing with Snoop. Not that I dislike Snoop, but Hammer's whole thing was a positive vibe, Snoops whole thing was drugs, guns, hoes, etc... It really seemed like Hammer was just selling out, trying to do absolutely anything to get back on top. While I'm sure he's done good stuff since, I haven't listened to a thing of his since that happened.

The Funky Headhunter waz a Hip-Hop/Funk/Pop attempt that had a different image. But if u heard the album and the lyrics, he didn't really change his style. In an interview at the time, he said "It would have been corny for me to come out in those baggy pants, big glasses, and lines shaved in my head." For a short time, Hammer signed to Deathrow under the agreement he would stay true 2 himself. He participated in a free show for single mom's that Suge used 2 always hose (alongside 2Pac...who MC Hammer recorded 2 trax with that have yet 2 be released). MC Hammer is more about the music than the business...but Suge is even worse about the business...which is why he left.

He redeemed himself with his next album V: Inside Out...one of my top favorite Hip-Hop albums of all time. For the sake of others, i wish they'd get past the mega success he had in the early 90's and the darker Funky Headhunter era and give his stuff a chance. He's got something that needs 2 be heard. Which u can't say about 2 many other artists.

Well where's the link at man? btw, I was listening to Hot 97 a few days ago and they were interviewing MC Hammer and he was mentioning that his new album is gonna be produced by Scott Storch and that he was in New York this week to perform at Apollo Theatre as a fundraiser for Hurricane Katina victims which he seemed to have posted pics on his site already from that performance

yeah sorry yousendit didnt work.............ill try again

Well people look at "Pumps In A Bump" basically the same way that they look at "Boom! Shake The Room" as an attempt to keep up with the hardcore trend that was out in rap at the time and that's the biggest misconception that people have, I thought that "Funky Headhunter" was a dope hip-hop album, he was able to get back at those who were dissin' him then, it was wack how basically the whole rap industry was coming after Hammer when he was on top, he wasn't dissin' nobody then, he was in fact helping bring other brothers up at the time, basically he kept it 'real' more than basically anybody did at that time, he might not be on top now but all those who dissed him except LL ain't on top anymore either....

btw, if Hammer sold out for performing with Snoop but didn't Will do a song with Snoop on "Lost and Found"? Hammer's a team player like Will is, basically he's down with everyone, and like Will he don't deserve any of the criticism he receives 'cause he's been such a positive influence for hip-hop, but like Will people won't give him his due, they stay in the dark and think that 50 Cent is real but when it comes down to it you see 50 Cent leave his family starving in the 'hood while Hammer went bankrupt to help his homies out and tell me who's more real? It's like some people are so brainwashed by gimmicks that they think that the person having the most money is the most real, all these chart rappers now might be rollin' with more paper than Hammer, but they don't have as much heart as he does and that's what real, I hope that he comes back in a big way as well... btw, damn if I knew Hammer was gonna be in New York this week ahead of time, I'd tried to get tickets to go and see him, that'd been a sweet b-day present, lol...

Edited by bigted