JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

52 Mill in 1 weekend...

willreign

[u]Smith does it again at theaters with `Robot' Will Smith has the summer...[/u]

Smith does it again at theaters with `Robot'

Will Smith has the summer crowd well programmed.

Smith's sci-fi thriller I, Robot was his latest No. 1 July debut, opening with $52.25 million and bumping Spider-Man 2 from the top spot at the weekend box office, according to studio estimates released Sunday.

If the numbers hold when final figures are released Monday, I, Robot would be Smith's best debut ever, coming in just ahead of Independence Day, Men in Black and Men in Black II, all July premires that opened in the $50 million to $52 million range.

''My God, this guy opens movies,'' said Bruce Snyder, head of distribution at 20th Century Fox, which released I, Robot. ``He's just so likable, he takes something like science fiction, which can be a little cold, and he makes it warm and entertaining.''

After two weekends in first place, Spider-Man 2, starring Tobey Maguire, slipped to No. 2 with $24.2 million, lifting its total domestic haul to $301.7 million after just 19 days. The movie crossed the $300 million mark three days faster than the original Spider-Man, according to distributor Sony.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations:

1. I, Robot, $52.25 million.

2. Spider-Man 2, $24.2 million.

3. A Cinderella Story, $13.8 million.

4. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, $13.4 million.

5. Fahrenheit 9/11, $7 million.

6. King Arthur, $6.9 million.

7. The Notebook, $5.45 million.

8. White Chicks, $3.4 million.

9. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, $3.2 million.

10.The Terminal, $3.1 million.

[url="http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/people/9187318.htm?1c"]http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/livin.../9187318.htm?1c[/url]

Will Smith's 'I, Robot' Debuts at No. 1

LOS ANGELES -- Will Smith has the summer crowd well programmed. Smith's sci-fi thriller "I, Robot" was his latest No. 1 July debut, opening with $52.25 million and bumping "Spider-Man 2" from the top spot at the weekend box office, according to studio estimates Sunday.

If the numbers hold when final figures are released Monday, "I, Robot" would be Smith's best debut ever, coming in just ahead of "Independence Day," "Men in Black" and "Men in Black II," all July premieres that opened in the $50 million to $52 million range.

"My God, this guy opens movies," said Bruce Snyder, head of distribution at 20th Century Fox, which released "I, Robot." "He's just so likable, he takes something like science fiction, which can be a little cold, and he makes it warm and entertaining."

After two weekends in first place, "Spider-Man 2" slipped to No. 2 with $24.2 million, lifting its total domestic haul to $301.7 million after just 19 days. The movie crossed the $300 million mark three days faster than the original "Spider-Man," according to distributor Sony.

The weekend's other new wide release, Hilary Duff's romance "A Cinderella Story," premiered in third place with $13.8 million.

Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" held on at No. 5 with $7 million, raising its domestic total to $93.8 million. Moore's assault on President Bush over the Sept. 11 attacks has become the undisputed box-office champ among documentaries, passing the $84.4 million domestic haul of the IMAX film "Everest."

"I, Robot," inspired by the short-story collection of Isaac Asimov, stars Smith as a police detective in 2035 who suspects a robot has committed a murder.

Along with the "Men in Black" movies and "Independence Day," "I, Robot" joins "Wild Wild West" and last year's "Bad Boys II" in Smith's string of summer smashes.

"He's Mr. July," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. "He's the perfect summer action star. He's a guy who seems like somebody fun to hang out with, but you know the guy can kick some butt when he has to."

"A Cinderella Story" stars Duff as a saintly California teen slaving away for her odious stepmother and stepsisters in a modern update of the fairy tale.

The movie drew mainly from Duff's teen and preteen fan base, with young girls and mothers making up most of the audience, said Dan Fellman, head of distribution at Warner Bros., which released "A Cinderella Story."

In narrow release, Jeff Bridges and Kim Basinger's "The Door in the Floor" had a healthy debut, taking in $444,983 in 47 theaters. The family drama was adapted from John Irving's novel "A Widow for One Year."

"Maria Full of Grace," which won the award as audience favorite at last January's Sundance Film Festival, also opened strongly in limited release, taking in $124,000 at seven theaters. The drama centers on a young Colombian woman who signs on as a "mule" carrying heroin to the United States.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.

[url="http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/movies/sns-ap-box-office,0,361471.story?coll=orl-caltop"]http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainme...coll=orl-caltop[/url]

Will Smith to ditch action movies

Hollywood actor Will Smith believes he only has another five or six years left as an action movie star.

The 35-year-old has scored success with such hits as Independence Day and the franchises Men in Black and Bad Boys - as well as his latest film I, Robot - but he claims he'll soon be looking to make his movie money in a different genre.

He says: "I feel like I have got five of six more years of action movies. I want to hurry up and get those, while I can still take my shirt off in a movie."

[url="http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/2004/07/19/story157687.html"]http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/2004/07/19/story157687.html[/url]

Will Smith squishes Spidey

Will Smith's new movie 'I, Robot' ended the 'Spider-Man 2' two-week reign as America's top film.

With ticket sales of about £30 million - which is much better than expected, it's Will's best movie opening ever.

The movie is a gadget-laden thriller, set in the year 2035 when robots are integrated into society. Will told us he's a big fan of technology and admits he can't stop buying all kinds of devices:

"I'm like the worst techno-geek that you know. I need everything. The worst thing that ever could have happened was that I earn enough money to buy all the gadgets that I want."

"One iPod isn't enough. I need the 10, the 20 the 30 and the 40, you know. Then I need the skinny one. And then I need all the different attachments. I'm, like, totally geeked out."

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/entertainment/040719_willsmith.shtml"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/entertain...willsmith.shtml[/url]

200 Will Smith fans brave rain

ABOUT 200 people braved Sydney's wet weather tonight for the Australian premiere of big-budget film I, Robot.

Hollywood actor Will Smith was unperturbed by the rain, stopping to sign autographs along the red carpet at Sydney's Fox Studios.

After 20 minutes on the red carpet, Smith changed out of his suit and into jeans and sweater, taking to the stage and belting up four songs for loyal fans.

Smith sang crowd favourites Getting' Jiggy Wit' It and Men in Black before trying out his new single, Switch.

Earlier today the Oscar nominated actor told media he would spend the next few months working on his singing career.

"My single is coming out in six weeks so back to the music world for a bit," he said.

"Any time you try to do more than one thing successfully, the other things are always going to suffer so it is more about timing than it is about trying to sustain both at the same time because you really can't.

"Probably the next four or five months will be all music."

A host of Australian celebrities attended the premiere including television host Kerrianne Kennerley and up and coming actor Holly Brisley.

In the science fiction flick, which was directed by Australian Alex Proyas, Smith plays a Chicago police officer who uncovers a robot plot to take over the world.

[url="http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10185683%255E1702,00.html"]http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E1702,00.html[/url]

[quote=willreign,Jul 19 2004, 05:18 AM]Earlier today the Oscar nominated actor told media he would spend the next few months working on his singing career.

"Any time you try to do more than one thing successfully, the other things are always going to suffer so it is more about timing than it is about trying to sustain both at the same time because you really can't.[/quote]
That's great news, since '95 Big Will has had a hit movie in Julys, Big Willie Weekend took over again! :werd: Singin' career? he ain't R. Kelly, he's a rapper! :kekeke: I guess he learned a lesson from how Born To Reign struggled by releasing this album in the wintertime, which he should have done with Born To Reign 'cause the summertime's for the Big Willie movies now! Edited by bigted

wow i knew it was gonna be big but i never thought it would open bigger than MIB and independance day.

and OMG he performed switch, that is so cool!!! and the next 4 or 5 months will be music, now he can promote properly, thanx 4 the articles they are all great news.

[quote=bigted,Jul 19 2004, 12:10 PM][quote=willreign,Jul 19 2004, 05:18 AM]

Earlier today the Oscar nominated actor told media he would spend the next few months working on his singing career.

"Any time you try to do more than one thing successfully, the other things are always going to suffer so it is more about timing than it is about trying to sustain both at the same time because you really can't.[/quote]
That's great news, since '95 Big Will has had a hit movie in Julys, Big Willie Weekend took over again! :werd: Singin' career? he ain't R. Kelly, he's a rapper! :kekeke: I guess he learned a lesson from how Born To Reign struggled by releasing this album in the wintertime, which he should have done with Born To Reign 'cause the summertime's for the Big Willie movies now! [/quote]
Actually, Born To Reign is the only solo album released in the Summertime. Both Big Willie Style and Willennium were realeased in November.

And Will's movies don't hit ever July/Summertime...

Bad Boys (spring 1995)
ID4 (summer 1996)*
MIB (summer 1997)*
Enemy of The State (fall 1998)
WWW (summer 1999)*
Bagger Vance (fall 2000)
ALI (winter 2001)
MIIB (summer 2002)*
BB2 (summer 2003)*