JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Reviews think Will Smith has Nursery Rhyme Beats

anyone know if someone can grab the Lost and Found Acapella and mix it with something fresh, other than violins... or will that go against the interpretation of the songs lyrics?

I don't think you'll ever find the acapella for lost and found. I never took 'why should I try to sound like ya'll sound?" to be anything to do with the beats/music - just the rapping. After all, it's not Will that's making the music...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this quote right here refers to the beats: "If your drums don't sound like everyone's....you don't fit in according to the industry", I really don't have a problem with the beats on "Lost and Found", it ain't a classic sound like "Code Red" or "Willenium" production, but I think it's a step above most generic commercial rap production out now that's on the radio that sounds repetitive, btw we talk about how great production helps albums sell but then why is "Code Red" the least selling JJFP album since it's one of the best produced albums of all time? :stickpoke: I think image sells more than anything, if 50 Cent had "Lost and Found" beats for his album, he'd still sell millions 'cause of his image...

Edited by bigted

Well this quote right here refers to the beats: "If your drums don't sound like everyone's....you don't fit in according to the industry", I really don't have a problem with the beats on "Lost and Found", it ain't a classic sound like "Code Red" or "Willenium" production, but I think it's a step above most generic commercial rap production out now that's on the radio that sounds repetitive, btw we talk about how great production helps albums sell but then why is "Code Red" the least selling JJFP album since it's one of the best produced albums of all time? :stickpoke: I think image sells more than anything, if 50 Cent had "Lost and Found" beats for his album, he'd still sell millions 'cause of his image...

I agree to some extent, however, I think the beats is what attracts people.

People my age 16-22 care more of the beat of the music then the content. My friend was like yeah i listen to Hip/Hop-rap for the beats, I dont care what they say.

In the club what do you think will get played more Lost & Found (Track) or Hate it or Love it (any version)..

They are both serious songs (depending who you talk to), but Hate it or Love it will definitely get the nod for the playback because of its hip beat.

Mary J has also gone on record saying the beat is hott..

What do ya'll have to say about it?

And btw there are probably more hiphop listeners that listen to the beat of the song then the lyrics.

However, it is still up in the air on who you should cater to if you are an artist trying to sell albums.

Well that's why Bow Wow went platinum 'cause Jermaine Dupri laced him up with hot beats but he ain't saying **** on the songs, these big name producers need to work with dope mcs... But the one thing that pisses me off is that those kids who loved "Big Willie Style" say that thought "Willenium" was a boring dissapointment 'cause of tracks like "Afro Angel" and "The Rain" and I don't get that, they just wanna shake their ass, they like their lyrics and even beats on the mostpart dumbed down....

Edited by bigted

People my age 16-22 care more of the beat of the music then the content. My friend was like yeah i listen to Hip/Hop-rap for the beats, I dont care what they say.

yeah true, i do care about what they are saying, but beats are important. Theres a lot of artists that say a lot of cool stuff but i find the songs boring so i dont bother to listen. Im really picky with the artists i like bcoz i want them to have great beats and have something decent to say. There arnt too many that can pull off both.

Well even with the greatest production in the world, I don't think Will's gonna really sell that much more, the music industry has been resistant to Will 'cause of his image more than anything, "Code Red" didn't sell 'cause people wanted the gangsta rap image but the production on that album was better than most of theirs, it was right up there with "The Chronic"... And basically now you'd have to have a lot of ice, rims, and half naked chicks in the videos to go along with the catchy beat to get a huge hit, sadly a lot of those like 50 Cent could get away with mumbling throwaway lyrics throughout the songs and still get hits...

yeah true, i do care about what they are saying, but beats are important. Theres a lot of artists that say a lot of cool stuff but i find the songs boring so i dont bother to listen. Im really picky with the artists i like bcoz i want them to have great beats and have something decent to say. There arnt too many that can pull off both.

I think Julie's hit it on the nose. It's hard to listen to music with great lyrics but a sub par beat. A beat can really enchance the quality of a piece of music, adding a whole new dimension to what is said. If you've ever read lyrics for certain songs, you'd wonder why they get as much play as they do... and then you hear the beat and you realize that no one is listening to the words.

People dont listen to the message anymore..

you know thats what i hate about most of the rap/hip-hop artists right now, it really pisses me off that everybody loves the beat to most songs friends saying like oooooh yeah thats my jam, and then i listen to the song and its a piece of s***, no good lyrics at all and just rambling by the artist, or where most artists try and just make sure the chorus is catchy and the just the beat is good, noone cares about any messages anymore, thats why i just stick to old tapes and cds, and if theres something worthwhile coming out from one of my favourite artists...then ill listen to it.....but thats whats wrong with hip-hop today and its just gettin worse

i like to listen to MEANINGFUL lyrics...which is few and far between these days

Edited by Jazzy Jazzy Jeff

I listen to meaningful lyrics, but then if a beat is hot, it's hot. can't stop that. I'm a producer myself. I got tihs thing for Hot beats..

But even that is starting to slip. Have you heard D4L's beats? I swear, I thank god guys like Jeff, 9th Wonder, Primo, Timbo, Kanye, and all of them still do their thing, as for as production goes. Trust, Ima try to Blow up and bring the tehcnique of "ACTUALLY MAKING BEATS" back to the radio. lol.

We're starting to sound like our parents by saying that the older music is the best, but it's true :kekeke: Basically it seems that all the lyrics and all the beats on the radio are generic sounding and people love it, all the videos have the same cars, it looks like the same hoes in the videos too, there's nothing great about them, people are robots and call anything that sounds different wack like Will says, have Will mumble a bunch of curse words over generic beats and I bet they wouldn't call him wack,lol... I think I remember DJ Johnny Juice of Public Enemy say that a lot of these rap artists today seem to put on their uniforms when it's time to go on camera rather than dress the way they want to which is like what Will said: "following everybody when it's time to rap"...Even a lot of that underground rappers try sounding generic so they could get on major labels...btw, Vipa I dig quite a bit of the blends you do, you need to send a demo to Will so you could produce on his next album, lol...

Edited by bigted