JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Busta Rhymes Scolded For Silence In Slay

bigted

Busta Rhymes Scolded for Silence in Slay

By TOM HAYS

Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - The police commissioner berated rapper Busta Rhymes on Wednesday, accusing him of withholding information about the slaying of his bodyguard at a hip-hop video shoot.

At a news conference at New York Police Department headquarters, Commissioner Raymond Kelly complained that the silence of several potential witnesses has stymied the investigation of the Brooklyn killing last week of Israel Ramirez. He saved his harshest remarks for the rapper.

Ramirez "worked for him," Kelly said. "I'd think he'd be knocking on the door. ... If your employee's murdered in front of you, you think you might want to talk to the police."

If the witnesses keep stonewalling, they could be forced to answer questions before a grand jury, Kelly said.

"I find it quite disturbing," the commissioner said. "This individual was shot in front of a lot of people."

The rapper's publicist, Greg Miller, declined to comment.

Rhymes attended a wake last week at a Manhattan funeral home for the 29-year-old Ramirez, who grew up in Harlem and left behind a wife and three young children

The rapper has not spoken publicly about the fatal shooting. But in a written statement, he said Ramirez "was not only security for me, but he was a friend, one of the rare friends that you come across that you can trust with your life."

Ramirez was gunned down on Feb. 5 outside a star-studded gathering at a warehouse where a music video was being taped to accompany a remix of Rhymes' latest hit single, "Touch It." Along with Rhymes, Missy Elliot, Mary J. Blige, DMX and G-Unit members, including Lloyd Banks and Tony Yayo, were among those in attendance.

Police say the shooting may have stemmed from an argument between Yayo and a producer that began inside and spilled onto the street. They believe Ramirez, who was unarmed, was a bystander who may have intervened only to protect Rhymes.

Investigators were seeking a court order to obtain any video recorded inside the warehouse, believing it might help identify a suspect.

I agree. I've been a fan of Busta Rhymes since 1991. I waz 11 years old and saw Leaders of The New School on TV. My older cousin boaght their tape and i fell in love with their style. Nowadays, i'm grown and i respect what he does. He's one of the only emcees with commercial success. There is no excuse for him to be keeping this information from the police. I don't care about the code of not talking 2 cops. This man who had a family waz killed while protecting Busta. If he doesn't step up soon, i'm gonna loose alot of respect 4 him.

Maybe he know's exactly who done the shooting, It wouldn't suprise me if it was Yayo himself, all of G-unit try and act so tough and that's the way they want to prove it, but that's just a random guess, and he can lie in court, if he gets found out he was lying he goes to jail, but if he says random stuff and the court believe it, there's no wrong in it...but i'm sure Busta doesn't even know who done the shooting considering there was loads of bodyguards around him..

So he might of not seen a thing..Who knows

• Admin

but if he says random stuff and the court believe it, there's no wrong in it...but i'm sure Busta doesn't even know who done the shooting considering there was loads of bodyguards around him..

So he might of not seen a thing..Who knows

if he didnt see anything he should say he didnt see anything..at the moment he's not saying anything.. the amount of people around when the bodyguard got shot..someone saw something..but no ones talking.. fear of retribution? sounds shady either way :paperbag:

well it's speculated that busta was standing right there by the bodyguard, who took a bullet for busta, i mean if my friend sacrified his life for me i'd wanna tell somebody what happened, wouldnt u do the same?