JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

RIP LYNDEN DAVID HALL

thezone

It is with great sadness that we report that singer, songwriter, arranger, musician and producer Lynden David Hall sadly passed away yesterday after battling a rare form of cancer.

Lynden, aged 31and originally from Wandsworth, South London, won the 1998 MOBO (Music of Black Origin) for "Best Newcomer". In 1999, he was the first U.K. artist ever voted "Best Male Artist" by the readers of Britain's Blues & Soul magazine. His debut album, "Medicine For My Pain", and singles, "Do I Qualify" and "Sexy Cinderella", had an instant appeal to soul fans in the U.K. - and elsewhere in the soul societies of Europe - but it wasn't until it got a remix treatment that this, then 23-year old, South Londoner got his major breakthrough.

In 2005 Lynden released his third studio album "In Between Jobs" on the independent label Random Records.

For the last 2 years Lynden David Hall has been battling a rare form of cancer. He was suffering from Hodgkin’s Lymphoma disease. It is a form of cancer that mainly affects young people in their 20’s and around 1400 people are diagnosed in then UK every year. It is a disease of the Lymphatic system. The Lymphatic system is a complex system of lymph organs (such as tonsils and bone marrow) and lymph nodes connected by a network of lymphatic vessels.

:( He's one my fav artists.

lydan.jpg

his last studio album - amazing album.

B00092QT0E.jpg

more info

Soul singer Lynden David Hall has died after battling cancer for two years.

The south London-born singer - who won the 1998 Mobo best newcomer award - had been suffering from the rare cancer Hodgkin's Lymphoma and died on Tuesday.

Discovered by the manager of UK group Loose Ends, the 31-year-old singer-songwriter released his debut album Medicine 4 My Pain in 1998.

Hall's third studio album In Between Jobs was released on the independent label Random Records last year.

'Sad day'

BBC Radio 1 DJ Trevor Nelson, who signed Hall to Cooltempo Records in 1996, said his death was a "tragic loss".

"It's the loss of a great talent unfulfilled. At the time, in my capacity as an A&R man, he was one of the biggest talents of his time, and ahead of his time in many ways," he said.

"He was a very unassuming guy, very quiet and introverted, not your typical wannabe pop star.

"It's a sad day for British black music, but knowing Lynden as I do, I hope the attention that this brings him will make people go and re-visit his music."

DJ Trevor Nelson described Hall as an "unassuming guy"

Saxophonist Courtney Pine, who toured and recorded with Hall, told the BBC News website: "I was very sorry to hear that we have lost yet another talented UK musician.

"I'm sure fans and musicians will miss his great voice and musical ability."

'Cool, sweet guy'

BBC 1Xtra DJ Ronnie Herel also paid tribute to Hall.

He said: "My heart sunk when I heard that Lynden passed away, my heart goes out to his family and friends at this time.

"Medicine 4 My Pain was a landmark album for UK black music. It wasn't for the glory but simply for the music, to meet him you wouldn't know that he was pure genius.

"I knew Lynden quite well at the time he put out his debut album out, he was a cool, sweet guy who lived for his music and that's how I'm going to remember him."

Hall's biggest hit single Sexy Cinderella reached number 17 in the UK charts in 1998, and he was nominated for best British male at the Brit Awards the following year.

More recently Hall appeared in the film Love Actually as a wedding singer, performing All You Need Is Love.

In November, stars including Pine, Beverley Knight, Roachford, Shola Ama and Ms Dynamite headlined The Lynden's Wish concert at London's Jazz Cafe to raise money for cancer charities.

Edited by thezone